Hello. I bought a Marshall MG15 CDR (small thing) over a year ago. I live with another 3 people here at home and I like to play quiet at times.. anyway, since I bought it I noticed there's a big difference in volume switching from 1 to 2 with distortion on. And I mean annoying loud, like if someone is sleeping in the room next to you he'll be bothered.. I thought this was ok since they are meant to sound loud..

But this saturday I went to a friend's home and he's got the same amp, and his does seem to work fine. There's not such abysmal difference and you gotta turn it up at least to 4 for it to sound loud. He said it must be a problem with the potentiometer. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Preferably without having to send it in to have it repaired. I dont want to spend a lot of money.. Thanks.
Simple. Sell the crappy MG and buy a good, small, practice amp
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
i once broke the potentiometer of my 15 watt little amp because it went down on the floor..The only thing you can do is to repair it by yourself, but i don't think you are an electrician, or get it repaired..it shouldn't cost too much, but the original potentiometer will cost more than an unbranded one!
Quote by Koshman32
Simple. Sell the crappy MG and buy a good, small, practice amp

I think I said I didnt want to spend much money having it repaired and you ask me to buy a whole new amp? :P Lol.

311ZOSOVHJH, can dirt be really the problem tho? Anyway I think I can.. as long as it's not a mess inside there with cables and stuff. I'll give it a try when I get home and let you know. Keep an eye on this please Thanks.
Quote by Mannysz
I think I said I didnt want to spend much money having it repaired and you ask me to buy a whole new amp? :P Lol.

It's the best possible solution to solving all your amp problems
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
It's the best possible solution to solving all your amp problems

hahahaha best answer ever
dirty pots could very well be the culprit, so could a damaged or poorly connected pot, which could cause volume skips.

although, i dunno why you'd wanna try and fix an amp thats famous for going to sleep and never waking up.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ