Hey, i'm about to buy my first cab in turn with my new head (Valveking + Tubes i think, or maybe a Classic 30). I've been looking at the Orange PPC212 and for a long time this is what i've been decided on. However, some guy showed me these Harley Benton cabs which are dirt cheap and have the same speakers as the Orange so it all sounds good. But, considering how cheap they are i'm assuming there's a catch. What is the catch? Is there one at all?
Quote by willT08
Hey, i'm about to buy my first cab in turn with my new head (Valveking + Tubes i think, or maybe a Classic 30). I've been looking at the Orange PPC212 and for a long time this is what i've been decided on. However, some guy showed me these Harley Benton cabs which are dirt cheap and have the same speakers as the Orange so it all sounds good. But, considering how cheap they are i'm assuming there's a catch. What is the catch? Is there one at all?

The HB have a decent construction quality and good speakers. However, orange has very good construction quality and their dimensions allow for a darker more defined tone.

You get what you pay for in this case.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
The HB have a decent construction quality and good speakers. However, orange has very good construction quality and their dimensions allow for a darker more defined tone.

No, the construction of the cab will make almost no difference to the sound. If it does it won't even sound worse, just slightly different.

You pay more for a brand name in this case.
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
Quote by familybucket
No, the construction of the cab will make almost no difference to the sound. If it does it won't even sound worse, just slightly different.

Cabinet construction matters a great deal. Woods used, connection method, dimensions all play their part. The HB is good for the money but so is the Orange. I've played both cabinets and there was no contest.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by familybucket

I hope you're kidding about this.
Quote by al112987
I hope you're kidding about this.

Well yeah of course it will sound bad if a cab is put together really badly, but the Harley Benton obviusly isn't, and I doubt Orange put much more effort into making their cabs than Harley Benton do.

Both amps are good quality.
Quote by ch0
Quote by Mark G
Cabinet construction matters a great deal. Woods used, connection method, dimensions all play their part. The HB is good for the money but so is the Orange. I've played both cabinets and there was no contest.

Both cabinets use plywood, both will have similar connetion methods and the Dimensions are quite similar.
Quote by ch0
Orange is 18mm birch plywood 78 x 53 x 38cm
HB is standard 16mm plywood 52 x 74.2 x 30mm

These different specs alone will make them sound very different. I stand by what I said. Don't get me wrong the HB is great for the money, but I'd grab the orange over it anyday if I had the money.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 11, 2009,
Quote by Mark G

While I'm also a huge fan of Orange cabs, I'm not sure darkening the Valveking further is a good idea.

It would work great with the Classic 30 though.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Classic 30 + Orange Cab = FECKING YUM.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I'm trying out a Classic 30 tomorrow. Apparently it doesn't load out much gain. Would it get into Metal territory with a TS9?
^ It depends on what metal.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Well, Metallica, Lamb Of God etc. Neither use that much gain. I tend to play more punk/modern rock though. Think Paramore, Blink 182, Sum 41. Along with some classic rock.
A boosted C30 will do Metallica, probably Lamb of God, and will do everything else you listed easily straight into the amplifier.

It's very Vox AC30-ish with its distortion, which is awesome.