I have seen people state on UG that strats are HSH routed. So does that mean that the body is actually cut to take an hsh setup or that it is wired to take an hsh setup? If it is cut then I can get a different pickguard for an SSS strat and install HSH pickups with only new pickups, pots and pickguard right?
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
It depends on the model, but if it is routed for HSH, just get a new pickguard. Maybe new pots too.
The MIM Strats are routed so that any pickup configuration will fit in the cavity.

MIA Strats might not be, not sure. They may only be routed for the exact configuration it came with. so if it only has 3 Single Coils, then it is likely routed only for single coils..But I'm not sure.

You can just take off the pickgaurd and look.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
I have a MIM, so I'm good to go!
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

What would you guys recommend for a good versatile sound? I'm not on a quest for tone, but I would like to see what I can do about replacing these boring pickups.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

my MIM was routed for HSS. just take the pickgaurd off and find out, they are different.

there are 2 ways u can fit HSH pickups into a strat. either it has to be routed for HSH, or theres something called a pool routing. where the full section where the pickups go is just a giant cavity with no walls what so ever. starts at the bridge, ends at the neck, and is the width of a humbucker, allowing for any 3 pickups.

list off some bands u want to sound similar to and we can give some pickup configs.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by Zmatt
What would you guys recommend for a good versatile sound? I'm not on a quest for tone, but I would like to see what I can do about replacing these boring pickups.

Look under the pickguard and see what you can fit. I'd go for an HSH with coil-splitting.
Well I have some very eclectic tastes. I listen to everything from death cab for cutie to trivium and i like to play everything in between. Of course with an SSS strat that is pretty difficult. I have a crap amp but i will be replacing that very soon so don't worry about it too much. Anyways I would like to have a decent clean sound and be able to knock it up to high gain too.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Quote by Zmatt
Well I have some very eclectic tastes. I listen to everything from death cab for cutie to trivium and i like to play everything in between. Of course with an SSS strat that is pretty difficult. I have a crap amp but i will be replacing that very soon so don't worry about it too much. Anyways I would like to have a decent clean sound and be able to knock it up to high gain too.

I'd wait till you get the new amp before looking into pickups.
The amp will make a bigger difference in your tone.

Also, as someone else mentioned...apparently not ALL MIMs are routed for any pup arrangement. Mine is, it has the "BathTub" rout..
You'd better take off the pickguard and just have a look.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
what kind of amp are u getting? ss or tube? if ur getting tube, check out EMG strat sets. ss or if u dont want actives, duncan jb or custom for the bridge, and 59 or pearly gates. for the single slots, try hot rails or jb jr.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
I'm considering a Valvetronix. I have heard good things about them and I have played on one. It sounded better than my fender fm15 dsp. The only thing that I didn't like about it was that aside fro the models, messing around with the settings gave me basically the same tone.

Wouldn't getting actives require me to make a battery compartment in the back?
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

if ur getting a modelling amp, stay away from actives. also, look into the peavy vypyr. iv tried that and the VT, and it blows the VT away. like u said, the VT sounded the same to me on every setting.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by Zmatt
I'm considering a Valvetronix. I have heard good things about them and I have played on one. It sounded better than my fender fm15 dsp. The only thing that I didn't like about it was that aside fro the models, messing around with the settings gave me basically the same tone.

The VT series is highly recommended 'round these parts. Consider a Peavey Vypyr as well, and if it's just for practice, maybe a Fender Super Champ XD or Vibro Champ XD.
Quote by Zmatt
Wouldn't getting actives require me to make a battery compartment in the back?

Not necessarily. It'll depend on how much room is underneath the pickguard - my bro's get EMGs on his and he just has the battery in underneath the knobs, with the pots.
Sounds like a lot of work, to destring and to take off the pickguard just to change batteries. I think I'll stick with passives, I understand that actives have poor cleans anyways.

The Vypyr 30 looks pretty good. and $280 msrp isn't bad either.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

u only have to change the batteries every 6 months or so with normal playing time (i think an hour or 2 a day). just do it every time or every other time u change strings. and with some tweeking, their cleans are fine. but like i said, with modeling amps, stay away from actives anyway.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Strats have been routed differently for years, based on the model and year of manufacture. I believe all the American ones now for the last ten years or so come with HSH routing (not sure about the reissues, however) and most MIMs are usually swimming pool style. Pretty easy to check, however, next time you change the strings.

If you do go HSH, you don't necessarily need new pots but you may want to change to 500k ones as most people find humbuckers are too dark with 250k.
Is there a good tutorial on swapping pickups and pots in a strat? I won't be doing this for at least a month at the earliest, but I want to do my research early.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Quote by Zmatt
Is there a good tutorial on swapping pickups and pots in a strat? I won't be doing this for at least a month at the earliest, but I want to do my research early.

Not really I mean you can read numerous wiring diagrams but they all just end up being the same with just telling you to connect which wire to which tab and such. With regards to swapping the pups and the pots then it's just simply a matter of unscrewing a screw or removing a nut and you can change them. You'll understand when you start doing it.
Pickup combination is all personal preference. Everyone likes something different.

For me, my favorite combo is HSH, with the ability to split the humbuckers. I don't think I've ever seen that combination on a strat though.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Quote by yellowshirtguy
Pickup combination is all personal preference. Everyone likes something different.

For me, my favorite combo is HSH, with the ability to split the humbuckers. I don't think I've ever seen that combination on a strat though.

if u go with single sized buckers it is. thats exactly what i have. duncan rails in the bridge and neck, strat pickup in middle, both buckers coil split. its wonderful.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30