So I'm building a custom cab to match my 50 watt Valveking head. And I just wanted to make sure I'm getting everything right so I don't screw it up.

I dont have exact demensions of the cab yet, but I know its going to be at least 11 in deep, like the head is, and I'm going to give it about 5 inches on each side of each speaker. I'm going to angle the speakers very slightly upward. Is this a bad idea?

Its going to be made out of white pine reenforced with some kind of hard wood on the inside. But is white pine a bad choice for a cab? I would like it to have the same grain pattern and stain color as the head, which is stained with a red oak stain.

And most importantly, I'm planning on using two Veteren 30 speakers with an 8 ohms impendence and series them together into one input jack.

The amp has a line out output of 16 ohms, 50 watts. Am I doing the speakers right?

I would really appreciate any help.
Wood doesn't really make many difference, don't use mdf. Also think how heavy or light it could be. Angling it up is good, or just tilting a cab back. This my biggest grip with guitarists, they have ther cab on the floor, with poor dispersion and no were near ear level they turn up louder and louder to compensate for themselves.
Facing your ears is good.
Your speakers should have the volume needed for a cab somewere in there specs. Make it around that or a bit smaller.

Are those speakers 30 watts if so no no. Youll need to wire two 8 ohm speakers in series meaning that it wont add the wattage together so youll have a 30 watt cab which wont be enough.
Thats all ive got for the moment anything else.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Can't speak to the wood but that sounds good.

Angle up sounds good too.

Yes Vet30s (and Vintage 30s) are 60 watts so you'll have 120 total. Check.

2 - 8 ohm speakers in series = 16, so Check.

My only question is where did you get a 50w head? Did you pull two tubes or is this originally a 112 combo? Sorry, I forgot - I think you told me at one point.

Hope that helps.
No, I took some other guys idea and turned my 112 combo into a head, so I could move the amp around. But thanks, I've been wanting to do this build for a long time, I have the money, just dont want to waste it all on this project, I have about $250, and I dont feel like spending it all, the speakers are $70 each, and I'm gona guess I'm going to spend about $60 in wood and prolly $20 on stain and poly. Its like $220, but I'm gona wait a little while till I can get some more money.
First off, for dimensions, use a good cab for a guideline, IE, go look up measures of Avatar/Mesa/Mills cabs, steal the designs and use them. Making a box and putting speakers in it is easy, however its tough to get it to sound good. I would know, I went through 3 designs for my 2x12, >_<
Quote by MadAudioMan
First off, for dimensions, use a good cab for a guideline, IE, go look up measures of Avatar/Mesa/Mills cabs, steal the designs and use them. Making a box and putting speakers in it is easy, however its tough to get it to sound good. I would know, I went through 3 designs for my 2x12, >_<

Thanks man, I'll go do that.

EDIT: K I found some specs for a 212 Mesa Rectifyer cab, which is 17 1/2 in High, 30 1/8 in wide, and 14 1/4 in deep. Anyone know what the average spacing of the speakers should be from each other and the edges?
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Sep 14, 2009,
I cant say i recommend copying another brands cab size and slapping some speakers in i, but thats just me. What if the speakers require more space then that cab provides to function properly, what happens if theres too much. I say its better to design from the ground up.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^Unless he has any idea what kind of spaces are needed for the speakers hes using, hes better off just using another cab. Also, TC are the speakers you're using a copy of any noteworthy type of speaker? Greenbacks, v30s, etc... If so, I'd find a cab that uses the kind of speakers yours copy and design your cab on that.
ethan_hanus - I see. Are you talking about gtr_101's build by chance?

Good ideas about finding similar cabs to the type of music you play etc. I think it's great that you want to build one from scratch. The cost may be lower than you think. PM gregs1020 as well as he has done some of this and he digs the VKs.

I have an Avatar Traditional 212 'over-sized' cab running at 4 ohms total and here are its dimensions.

29 wide
21 tall
12 deep
closed back

speakers are:
2" from top
2" from sides
4" from bottom
and 3" apart

roughly
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 14, 2009,
Yeah, I got the idea from him, except I was sucessful in staining the head. And thanks for the cab measurments, those help alot. I'll pm gregs1020 and see what he has to say about this.

The speakers I'm looking at are the Speaker Warehouse versions of the Vetren 30's for $70.
My Ashdown 2x12 is 625x455mm measured on the inside of the walls, and 280mm deep.

The speakers appear to be mounted in the centre vertically, then about 50mm from edge to edge of each other.

I hope that makes some sense.
Yeah, those speakers, I hope they are verstile enough to go from blues to mild metal, I know the stock speaker in mine is pertty flexible, it just muds up a whole lot when I get it above 7, actually, when it gets past 7 it dosent get much louder, which I think is becuase of the speaker. But yeah, when I play live I crank the hell out of it.

^ thanks for the measurements, there very percise, down to the millimeter. lol. I need to start drawing these out, and kinda find a middle point of all the measurements.

But I think I'm gona have to hold off on actually building it till the fall, when I can get a job. Been having to do some maintance on my truck, and kinda spent alot of my budget.

But I appriciate the help, mabey this thread will help anyone else who wants to try to build a 212 cab. I never see any threads on people buliding cabs, its so much cheaper to bulid one than buy it.