Page 1 of 2
Ok UG

I'm really into Slash's sound, especially from the time wen he was still in Guns n Roses.
And i really wanna get his sound. I know I'm gonna need a Les Paul, not sure which pups tho, and which amp did he use??

Setting I can try to figure out by ear

tl;dr What pups did Slash use in his LP, and what amp did he use??

EDIT: I also know he has a signature Wah. I'm not looking to buy any of this now, just something for future reference
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Last edited by soloXshredder at Sep 11, 2009,
Les Paul with low-output PAF-style Alnico II passive pickups.

Marshall JCM 800 and Silver Jubilee, possibly a Plexi (nobody really has nailed down the amp they used for Appetite for Destruction, but it wasn't the Jubilee).
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
whats the difference between PAF pups, and regular ones??

and don't mean to sound like a n00b, but whats a Silver Jubilee??
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
PAF = Patent Applied For. They were the first humbuckers ever made and never were named, but were called PAF because that's written on the bottom of the first ones.

The Silver Jubilee is the amp Marshall released for their 25th Anniversary (Silver is customarily used for this, so Silver Jubilee). It's essentially a modded 2-channel JCM 800 with more gain and a better clean channel, as well as some triode/pentode switching.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
A Silver Jubilee is an amp Marshall made
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by soloXshredder
whats the difference between PAF pups, and regular ones??

and don't mean to sound like a n00b, but whats a Silver Jubilee??

The silver jubilee is a Marshall Amp
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Lol I answered him already.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
he uses marshall vintage modern and duncan alnico pro II pikups nowdays
heres a vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsUKtl9SgUM

They're **** pickups. You can do far better.

Besides, the VM is just for show. His actual rig in the back has an 800 and Jubilee slaved together.

Quote by Jak Archer
A Silver Jubilee is an amp Marshall made

And also their last truly great one.

What kind of budget are we looking at here? Slash's basic tone is incredibly easy to achieve compared to some guitarists - any good Marshall with a humbucker-equipped guitar will get you firmly in the ballpark.
u did about the amp,
but the wikipedia article about the pups wast there :P

thanks for the help guys
but u still didnt answer my question about the difference between PAF pups and regular ones. are they warmer sounding, etc...
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
They're just very characteristic-sounding. They bloom a bit because the Alnico II magnets have a looser response and they're very warm and full of mid-range. Just the right amount of treble, as well.

Fantastic pickups.

ok thanks for the help guys

so
Silver Jubilee (how much would that go for?)
LP with PAF Humbuckers

thanks again
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by soloXshredder
ok thanks for the help guys

so
Silver Jubilee (how much would that go for?)
LP with PAF Humbuckers

thanks again

Jubilees are very overpriced, IMO, because they were only produced one year and the modern version (2555) is subject to Marshall's new policy of price-gouging.

I'd get a single-channel 800 and just boost it for higher gain but use the guitar volume knob for cleans. That's what I do.

Quote by bubb_tubbs

Besides, the VM is just for show. His actual rig in the back has an 800 and Jubilee slaved together.

EDIT: Interesting stuff man, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's true. I've never believed a guitarist as fussy as Slash would use the mediocre Vintage Modern, which is alright but always felt more like a PR excercise then an actual amplifier. I suspect he uses the VM for occasional clean/light crunch duties while the Jubilees handle the solos?

The moral here, diehard Slash fans, please don't be taken in by advertising and artist endorsements!
After all, it's widely known that two of Slash's favourite 'Gibson' Les Pauls weren't made by Gibson at all, so buying a specific guitar because it's 'what Slash uses' is pointless and won't get you any closer to your hero's tone.

EDIT: For your Jubilee needs, look no further....

http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/2555/BS2555.htm

$1000 fully constructed, with tubes. Expect to pay at least $300 or so for a cab, and the guitar depends entirely on your budget.
Last edited by kyle62 at Sep 11, 2009,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsUKtl9SgUM shows the rig in detail.

I can't remember the other source I heard the slaving from.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Sep 11, 2009,
There are a couple of used combo's on here that might fit your budget TS - otherwise, just listen to what Bubb is recommending.

http://jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=mus&itm=marshall&loc=&fil=+silver+jubilee&ys=&ye=&ps=&pe=&pgs=50&submit=++++go++++
Quote by bubb_tubbs

They're aren't ****.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by occub
They're aren't ****.

Just because you have them doesn't mean they are good, sorry.

For only a small amount more than you'd pay for those pickups you could buy a WCR, Wolfetone, or Bareknuckle PAF that would completely demolish the APH-1.

Quote by bubb_tubbs

For only a small amount more than you'd pay for those pickups you could buy a WCR, Wolfetone, or Bareknuckle PAF that would completely demolish the APH-1.

Plenty of people have them and you dont need a fancy expensive pickup to sound good, you can cork sniff all you want.
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
Quote by occub
Plenty of people have them and you dont need a fancy expensive pickup to sound good, you can cork sniff all you want.

Plenty of people have Spiders, MGs, Behringer and Boss pedals as well - they're still garbage.

I'm not cork-sniffing; I'm saying that for a marginal price upgrade you can purchase a much better product. It's like paying 2 grand for a handwired Marshall when you could get a better boutique amp for the same price.

This is going to turn into a flame war if it continues, so this will be my last post on the matter.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
This is going to turn into a flame war if it continues, so this will be my last post on the matter.

Then dont say something is **** because you like Lollar or WCR........
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
Gibson Les Paul 1959 Reissue
Marshall Silver Jubilee Head

thats what he used for alot of GNR (use your illusion, the spaghetti incident)

i think.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by bubb_tubbs
(nobody really has nailed down the amp they used for Appetite for Destruction, but it wasn't the Jubilee).

Yes they have. It was Studio Instruments Rental (SIR) #36. It was based after their legendary #39. This was a Marshall Plexi 1959T (tremolo) modded by Tim Caswell that had the tremolo replaced with a gain stage. However when recording sessions for Appetite was due the #39 was out, but being so popular they had an extra. #36 was a regular 1959 modded with an extra preamp tube. Slash loved it so much he tried to steal it.

You can read the rest here
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Yes they have. It was Studio Instruments Rental (SIR) #36. It was based after their legendary #39. This was a Marshall Plexi 1959T (tremolo) modded by Tim Caswell that had the tremolo replaced with a gain stage. However when recording sessions for Appetite was due the #39 was out, but being so popular they had an extra. #36 was a regular 1959 modded with an extra preamp tube. Slash loved it so much he tried to steal it.

You can read the rest here

I'd thought it sounded like he'd used a Plexi, but couldn't find a concrete source. The 800 and Jubilee are too trebly without being modded.

Thanks, Gabe.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
I'd thought it sounded like he'd used a Plexi, but couldn't find a concrete source. The 800 and Jubilee are too trebly without being modded.

Thanks, Gabe.

You're welcome!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
if my Roadie cost me a modded pre-master volume, id have him shot.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by bubb_tubbs

Jeez. Nice attitude dude.

"Just because you have them doesn't mean they are good, sorry."

Depends on what you mean by good. See, people like you really are the problem with modern day guitar playing, people are all too ready to hop onto the quality of an object that the actual playing is completely forgotten.

Take two competent guitar players. One with a les paul w/ stock pickups and a vintage modern jcm800 and another with a custom built les paul with custom wound bare knuckles playing through a diezel.

Is there really a "better" in this case? Of course not. And if you think there is you are a fool.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
^ Call me a fool then. If equal skill is considered and the amps are voiced identically, the second player will sound better.

Quote by sesstreets
See, people like you really are the problem with modern day guitar playing, people are all too ready to hop onto the quality of an object that the actual playing is completely forgotten.

So true.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
guys just let it go!!
different stuff sounds good to different people bubb, some people like spiders, some people hate em. i dont love em nor do i hate em. sound is all about taste

/thread
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by sesstreets
Jeez. Nice attitude dude.

"Just because you have them doesn't mean they are good, sorry."

Depends on what you mean by good. See, people like you really are the problem with modern day guitar playing, people are all too ready to hop onto the quality of an object that the actual playing is completely forgotten.

Take two competent guitar players. One with a les paul w/ stock pickups and a vintage modern jcm800 and another with a custom built les paul with custom wound bare knuckles playing through a diezel.

Is there really a "better" in this case? Of course not. And if you think there is you are a fool.

There may actually BE a "better" in this case. Forget 2 competent guitar players. How about one guy A/B'ing those setups side by side? It'd be a coin flip to see which setup he/she would sound better on, because a Diezel articulates every small nuance of your playing much better than any Marshall (other than old #39 maybe ). If the tester is a very good player, he/she would likely sound significantly better on the Diezel, whereas a less experienced player who isn't used to that level of responsiveness will have every little mistake pop out glaringly from the Diezel.
Just some food for thought....
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Call me a fool then. If equal skill is considered and the amps are voiced identically, the second player will sound better.

Whats your idea of better? Does it compare to my idea of better? How about a 12 year old kid who likes to listen to music as a hobby? How about a sound engineer who likes detail in a players sound? How about an old blues player or a new head banger?

I personally would pick the marshall player. Why? Because I like the sound that comes out of a 800, that doesn't mean I despise the diezel either. I don't see why playing a particular brand instantly makes that player 'better'.

There isn't and there will never be a legitimate scale to determining what realistically is "better" than something else in a vast and open (and realistically under explored) territory such as music. I would say that most people can agree that a spider or an mg don't sound terribly awesome, but on the flip side I could say the same thing about a rockerverb 50 or a vh4.

"sound is all about taste"

Sound really is all taste. And really, if it sounds good to you then great, but the second you start saying "gee I wonder what other people will think of my sound"; you should probably reconsider your musical path.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Sesstreets, you are arguing semantics. You will very likely see better performance out of something like a Bareknuckle PAF than the APH-1. That is what makes them better. It's not just how they sound, which is purely subjective, but how they respond to playing, which is objective.
So... something that starts as objective, namely playing responsiveness, which then turns into something subjective, sound is still something objective?

I love the sound of a dirty old disgusting and broken down strat from the 60's into a half power sagging marshall full stack from the early 70's. Its that resistance to response to playing that creates a sound that I like.

But I also love the sound a SD-JB in a brand new les paul going into a rack mounted ENGL preamp and VHT/Fryette power amp with a g-major shoved in between providing some digital effects.

Neither set of hardware can be said to be better than another, no matter what, because in this case, the end result is a subjective product that will pretty much always be different.

Steering this headed-for-the-cliffs discussion back on topic. BKP's have some great quality to them, if you're willing to part with the cash that is. And buying a marshall re-issue is just silly, spend the money and get a ceriatone built for you.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
i think the point that bubbs was trying to make is that if you can buy a COTS part that everyone is using when you could spend a small extra ammount and get something custom, then its a bad idea to get the COTS part. without experience with it, i cant say that pickup is bad. i can say that it will almost definately will not be as good as if you got a pickup from someone who you were able to talk to and let them know what you wanted. these guys that handwind pickups arent just better because they are hand wound, its because if they are going to spend that time doing it they are going to make sure they do it right. now sure there are some great COTS pickups out there, but for something like a PAF style pickup i would always go with the guy who i know is going to pay attention to the details. it will sound better most of the time.

now that said, mr shredder ive still got some other tips for sounding like slash. first off, get a top hat. if you look like slash, then you can feel like slash, then you can sound like slash. (im joking of course (but really do buy a top hat, theyre cool)).

actually, what i really wanted to say is mod your wah. your sig looks like you dont like it too much and plan on buying a new one. instead spend a few dollars in components, learn how to solder and then make your way over to the wah modding thread in GB&C. read through the first bit and that should help you decide what you can do to help it get more of the sound in your head.

also, dont worry a huge ammount about the pickups. with a LP style guitar and a marshally sounding amp, you can probably do a decent slash sound to start with. changing pickups is a tweak to your sound, not a huge change to it. if you really know what you want, go for it. otherwise, work with what you have to start. there are lots of amp companies out there that do a good marshall sound other than marshall (orange for example), so dont just stick to the one brand.
Quote by jof1029
i think the point that bubbs was trying to make is that if you can buy a COTS part that everyone is using when you could spend a small extra ammount and get something custom, then its a bad idea to get the COTS part. without experience with it, i cant say that pickup is bad. i can say that it will almost definately will not be as good as if you got a pickup from someone who you were able to talk to and let them know what you wanted. these guys that handwind pickups arent just better because they are hand wound, its because if they are going to spend that time doing it they are going to make sure they do it right. now sure there are some great COTS pickups out there, but for something like a PAF style pickup i would always go with the guy who i know is going to pay attention to the details. it will sound better most of the time.

Precisely.

To post on topic...

When playing live, Slash used a Silver Jubilee probably 90% of the time... Even with VR he still uses one, but he's got a few other amps with them as well, including a JCM800... so you make the choice on that one (personally, I'd go with the SIlver Jubilee). Also, I'm not sure if the Alnico IIs will be necessary, considering his amps are probably 99.9% of his tone, but if you want go ahead and get the pups, considering it won't cost a great amount. If you want to get a wah, get the Dunlop Crybaby but DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT get Slash's signature model... It's really not that much different except a different paint job, and it will most likely cost you more money.
I think it has a boost in it, but imo its not really that good of a wah. I'd whole heartily recommend a morley power wah with that awesome big sweep and auto off.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Page 1 of 2