Please recommend worthy high gain all-tube amps for hard rock to metal (G'n'R to Metallica to In Flames). I have a Peavey Valveking 112 with a Celestion GT12-75 speaker, but the tone isn't great for metal. New or used, I don't mind, budget around £600 or US$1000. Prefer a combo, low wattage (30-50W) and mostly home use. I play Jackson Rhoads guitars, SD humbuckers.
Thanks!
Home use, Blackstar HT 5 seems to be gaining popularity, but that is a head.

There will probably be some nice 5150 combos popping up on ebay every now and then i suppose, and engl make some MONSTER combos, Thunder 50
Fender Custom Tele, FMT HH
Michael Kelly Patriot Black
Peavey VK 212 (modded)
Member #24 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!

Quote by larrytheguitar
Would you eat the fish.
Quote by bill_talent
Home use, Blackstar HT 5 seems to be gaining popularity, but that is a head.

There will probably be some nice 5150 combos popping up on ebay every now and then i suppose, and engl make some MONSTER combos, Thunder 50

My 6505 combo does all that the OP wants without breaking a sweat. The Blackstar HT-5 is criminally OVERrated imho. I don't like the gain structure of it at all. The clean channel is also "meh" at best. A Bugera combo would also sound great at a reasonable price. You can find Bugera combos in mint condition for $350 or so on my local Craigslist.
Used Randall RM50 (probably with a Top Boost, Super V, or JTM for a clean channel, and SL+, Ultra XL, Brahma, or Grail for the high gain. Any of the cleaner ones I listed wll get you crunch sounds too). Go to the Randall Forums and you can find them for sale frequently in the Classifieds section, and you get the best deals there too.

Here's a list of the modules and all their sounds from experience and from others' experience that I put in the Ultimate Gear for Metal thread.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20680464&postcount=182
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Sep 11, 2009,
since here in Blighty a used engl combo like a screamer or a thunder will be perfect, or just wait till october when peavey brings out the 1x12 6505 combo.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
ENGL looks favourite, and reviews are excellent. Out of the Thunder and Screamer, difference seems to be an extra channel combination on the screamer, giving ultra high lead gain, and the addition of reverb. Anyone know if it's worth the extra for the Screamer over the Thunder? Also, a couple of reviews say the ENGLs lack bass, which is unusual for a renowned metal amp, especially of this calibre/price - anyone had personal experience with ENGL combos and can comment?
Thanks again.
Last edited by drslackbladder at Sep 12, 2009,