What is the best tone wood for hard rock-classic metal. I am looking on having a guitar built. any imput would be appreciated.
Quote by higgins666
Well, ash can sound pretty damn awesome, as can maple, it all depends what you want really.

Yep. Swamp ash is my favorite tonewood. A lot of metal guitars also use basswood as their primary tone wood. But if you want that 70s Gibson tone, solid mahogany or maple-capped mahogany is the only way to go.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Sep 11, 2009,
There is no "best"
"Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours." - Dave Mustaine
Quote by higgins666
it all depends what you want really.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would say Mahogany as well. Its not required, but It matches vintage tones well.

I want to say that it was popular..but so were HSS strats. It all depends on the Band you want to be in the same neighborhood with.

I have a few basswood guitars that can do ACDC, but for they may be too bland for some folks. It works for me because I use a mid-happy rectified tone with a Marshall cabinet and I dont scoop.

Any band that had a decent presence of mids wont need Mahogany.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Sep 11, 2009,