ok so i picked up my ibanez 350dx yesterday and suddenly noticed a crack on the neck. i've never dropped it or anything, i take good care of it, i do have the floyd rose blocked. its right behind the 7th fret and of course the 1 year warranty just ran out last month.
what should i do and should i worry about it?

thanks

P.S. the crack is between my fingers and its hair sized, it runs along the neck parallel to the frets about two inches.
Attachments:
crack.jpg
looks more like a scratch so do nothing?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Sticky tape (Y)

But honestly, if I were you I'd just keep an eye on it. Check it regularly especially after gigs/ after long periods of playing. If you see it growing at all then I'd take it to my nearest guitar shop and have it checked out. My advice though, just keep your eye on it, it's probably nothing to worry about.
is that in the wood or in the finish? i wouldnt stress if its in the finish. Looks like a scratch
Does the crack open up any if you pull slightly forward on the neck? If not theres not much you can do for it except hope it doesn't get worse. If the crack does open up a bit, it might be enough for you to get some wood glue in there.
i tried scratching it with an exacto knife to see if it was a scratch or a crack and its not a scratch. but ill keep an eye on it. ohh and it does not open up as far as i can see its just uneven and i can feel it when i run my fingers along it.
thanks!
Last edited by tequilamolotov at Sep 11, 2009,
Quote by tequilamolotov
i tried scratching it with an exacto knife to see if it was a scratch or a crack and its not a scratch. but ill keep an eye on it.

Yeah, wtf? Like the guy above me said!
-Guitars-
LTD ESP EC-1000VB
Ibanez RG420d
Fender Strat Made In Korea
Old Jackson from the 80's (Not sure on series)
Epiphone Special II
Fender Acoustic
-Amplifiers-
Roland JC-60 Original
Marshall HDFX Head
Marshall 412b Cab
Quote by -Collapse-

i dont see whats so confusing about it, if it was a very light scratch it would go away after removing a little bit of the surface by evening it our with the rest of the wood.

thanks yellowshirtguy, as of now i think ill wait to see if it gets worse. thanks for the link, ill probably do that if it does open up.

- sorry for the typo!!
Last edited by tequilamolotov at Sep 11, 2009,
Quote by tequilamolotov
i dont see whats so confusing about it, if it was a very light scratch it would go away after removing a little bit of the surface by evening it our with the rest of the wood.

thanks yellow****guy, as of now i think ill wait to see if it gets worse. thanks for the link, ill probably do that if it does open up.

I don't have yellow ****.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Quote by tequilamolotov

thanks yellow****guy, as of now i think ill wait to see if it gets worse. thanks for the link, ill probably do that if it does open up.

Most people tend to use sandpaper for evening surfaces and getting a smooth result.

Somehow taking an exacto knife to a scratch seems like the worst idea I've heard in a while.
I just think you should wait and do things right, not just wing them with any sharp object you have lying around when it comes to something you care about.
sorry about the typo yellowshirtguy, not intentional. and i guess i shall invest in a bit of sand paper.
That line is too clean and straight to be running that direction of the grain to be a crack, If anything its a crack in the finish, Some finishes get brittle after time and will crack as the wood expands and contracts.
To me it looks like it's just a stress crack in the finish but without actually seeing it in person I can't really say more than that. Truthfully if it's just a finish crack I wouldn't bother doing anything to it unless it gets worse.

John
I have an NEW Ibanez RGR321 since 2 Weeks and it has a crack on the neck too and I don't know how that happened looks like there is green color on it...on the backside of the Body there is a little scratch too where i can see a little wood, but I take very good care on this guitar -.-
Maybe the RG-Series just are very sensitive...so don't care and just playing that ****ing thing.
"Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours." - Dave Mustaine
Last edited by compin at Sep 11, 2009,
The crack could have been in the finish when you bought it but wasn't noticeable until it got dirty. Oil and dirt from you hand probably filled it making it appear like it just happened.

John
yeah man you should see mine...I have an Ibanez EX Series(not sure what model, just know that it is an EX Series) Anyways, my crack is HUGE!! (actually, i have three of them..) the first starts bout a quarter inch below the screws for the tunerlocks and goes in an upside down u type shapeto both sides of the neck to the second fret.Thes second is smaller...Comes from the left screw and goes straight down to the first crack.. On the left side of that screw it goes off to the side but is smaller...The bigest one starts at the right screw shoots off to the right and goes from the right side of the screw and to the first fret bar...On the left side it goes slightly left and down to the u shaped crack, but continues on straight down to the middle of the FOURTH fret...WANNA TRADE??? lol...
Just play that ****ing thing
"Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours." - Dave Mustaine