Hey guys,

Finally going to pull the trigger on a new ax. Decided on a Jackson SL2H.

Question is they now offer that guitar with a Mahogany body and neck as opposed to the typical Alder body and Maple neck.

I haven't had much experience with that particular wood - I realize that most Les Pauls are made of it. Haven't found anyone around here that has the model in that wood so I haven't played it yet. My playing style would be more hard rock, but I also play some bluesy stuff as well. Play a lot of Metallica etc.

In any case just wanted some opinions on whether I should go with the Alder or Mahogany. Any additional thoughts and comments are appreciate.
In a neck thru guitar most of the tone is going to come from the neck wood, as opposed to the body wood. Personally, I'd go with alder/maple. But I play a lot of 80's shred and instrumental stuff, and an alder/maple neck thru is going to have a brighter tone that IMO suits those genres better than a warmer toned mahogany instrument. It's a tough choice... but IMO alder/maple = shred while mahogany = rock.
id go with the mahogany but thats just preference. It has a maple top i believe. At least the SL3 has it...
I'd say go with the alder, it's usually defined as more "Metal", which is what you're likely to be playing on a Jackson. I am aware James Hetfield plays Gibson Les Pauls etc. but Alder seems to be the norm.

Good choice on the guitar by the way!
Above post may or may not be true.
Alder!!!!!!!!!!!!
NEWCASTLE

UNITED!

My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-401QMNT
Marshall AVT150H
Peavey Valve King Cab