I know this is sort of a general question, but wondering if some brand "acoustics" are known to have a better sound than others? I used to own this one acoustic name escapes me but sold that over a decade ago, then about a year ago I started to play again, so I bought one of those Yamaha all in one kits, and it's quite dumb if you think about it for I already upgraded the tuner and the guitar case. Anyway, it does the job and for the most part sounds fine, but when I work on blues riffs and rythym I am just not quite happy with the sound. I am dealing with it for now for it's just a hobby and spending $$$ on another guitar is right now not an option. However, on days I have nothing to do I might go to dealer like East Coast Music Mall just to check out their Taylors and other guitars. Still I hear here and there that Taylors have a great sound but chip and scratch easily. I then read how people say just get a Yamaha which I did, and so on. Then you see the famous players playing on their Gibson acoustic, and sometimes but not often Fender acoustic which I know much of the $$$ is on the name itself and then quality after. Just a thought that keeps going around in my head.

Man, my finger tips are soar right now from all those pull-downs.
martin has some pretty good acoustics for not too much money
alvarez are also pretty good
the best ive played though are Gibsons yes you're paying for a name but if you play a $3000 acoustic guitar you'll feel like you've got the greatest instrument in your hands
Taylors, Martins, etc. always seem to get good reviews, but are expensive. You can find less expensive acoustics though, and sound quality is a matter of taste. I always thought that I wanted a Takamine (mid-priced) acoustic, but every time I played one it didn't have as rich a tone that I personally wanted. I ended up buying a somewhat cheaper Dean acoustic (something I would have never thought to look at) because I played it and loved the sound. Overall, I would play whatever you intend to buy to see what you think if you are going to put the money down.
Yes and no. There are Yamaha acoustics that sound great and Taylors which don't. Part of it, usually, is the price you pay for the guitar. When you get into solid tops (and backs and sides) you really get to hear the music. Another aspect of it is the wood - two Taylor 314s won't sound exactly alike, one guitar might have a top from a spruce tree that had a tighter grain, another might have a back that comes from a denser cut of sapele. It all boils down to your ears.
jasmine by takamine are good. a friend of mine has 2 and they are pretty good for under $500
Each persons opinion is going to differ because everyone has a different ear in sound. When you play an acoustic guitar you listen to several things. The amount of body reverb which equates to a ringing tone when you strum and hold the chord. Better guitars usually have a stronger reverb while poorly made guitars or bad wood grains offer very dull sounds. You look for brightness in sound quality. You also look for whether the guitar reverbs treble notes or bass notes better.

Martin guitars are better known for their bass reverb
Taylors are known for Treble reverb.

I dont approve of any Martin under the d-18
I myself have a 1962 martin 000-d18, Taylor 614-ce, and Taylor 310-ce
I have played many different guitars. And if you want sound quality that can somewhat compare with a great guitar the cheap epiphones are the way to go.

I guess to add to this. Martins are still hand crafted where modern taylors are made primarily on CNC machines. The automation of guitar making does result in some guitars sounding like crap despite the fact the guitar is put together quite well. But a lower grade martin is very very expensive because of being hand made. A standard d-28 being nearly 2700 or so while most high end taylors ... 814, 714 you can usually find under 3 grand. Dont get me a wrong a d-28 sounds great but they arnt made to be classy. the d-35 and d-45 is where its at
Last edited by Crashton at Sep 11, 2009,
Yes, different brands are known to have a "better" sound. By better I mean full and balanced though, and everyone has a different interpretation of good tone.

Don't worry about Taylors getting beat up easily though. They're tough, tough guitars, and besides, an uscratched guitar is an unloved guitar
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
timboslice... while i agree no two models sound the same... but has never been a taylor that didnt sound good
Quote by fingerguy
I know this is sort of a general question, but wondering if some brand "acoustics" are known to have a better sound than others? I used to own this one acoustic name escapes me but sold that over a decade ago, then about a year ago I started to play again, so I bought one of those Yamaha all in one kits, and it's quite dumb if you think about it for I already upgraded the tuner and the guitar case. Anyway, it does the job and for the most part sounds fine, but when I work on blues riffs and rythym I am just not quite happy with the sound. I am dealing with it for now for it's just a hobby and spending $$$ on another guitar is right now not an option. However, on days I have nothing to do I might go to dealer like East Coast Music Mall just to check out their Taylors and other guitars. Still I hear here and there that Taylors have a great sound but chip and scratch easily. I then read how people say just get a Yamaha which I did, and so on. Then you see the famous players playing on their Gibson acoustic, and sometimes but not often Fender acoustic which I know much of the $$$ is on the name itself and then quality after. Just a thought that keeps going around in my head.

Man, my finger tips are soar right now from all those pull-downs.

I dont think they chip or scratch easily. the finish on them is thinner than on any other brand, but contains the same amount of solids. plus if anything major should ever happen their repair shop is top notch. i recommend watching some of their videos about all of this stuff. I believe there is one specifically about the finishes.

As far as famous people playing Gibsons go I cant blame them. Gibson makes great acoustic and if I were to own a single guitar other than a Taylor 614 in honeybrown, it would be a Gibson Hummingbird. I dont think Gibson's play quite as nice, though, and most of them seem bulky to me. Im also a fan of Taylor's Expression System (here we go...) and think its the best amplified acoustic sound I've ever dealt with.

what I think most country artists seem to like about the Gibsons is that they arent too modern sounding, but not too vintage sounding either. they're sort of in between when it comes to that. And as opposed to the Martin bass and the Taylor treble, Gibson's strong point in the mid range, espcially on a Mahogany guitar like the Hummingbird. The midrange makes many Gibsons great guitars with which to cut through the mix of a full band.

EDIT: I should add that I am not a Martin fan at all. good guitars from a reputable company, but just not my thing. aesthetically and tonally I just dont get much out of them, sort of a dry tone to me. Then again, I prefer sparkle, bite, and cut in my sound if those words make any sense.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Last edited by Bright Light at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by andrew b emmel
timboslice... while i agree no two models sound the same... but has never been a taylor that didnt sound good

Then you're blindly buying into a brand, man. Computers are programmed to work properly but you still encounter error messages, don't you?
Every instrument has a soul, compatible with a human. Maton guitars made an exact copy of Tommy Emmanuel's acoustic and you know what happened? It sounded like hell. Only he can unlock that guitar's chastity belt and make love to it. It's in your fingers, and how they interact with the given materials. An electric, I would have an easier time buying online/through an order that wouldn't allow me to play that specific guitar (although I'd try to avoid such a situation)...there's NO WAY I would buy an acoustic without playing it myself.
I don't really have a structure or thesis to tie these points together, I just have a collection of thoughts on the life of a guitar and I think more people should know them.
Then you're blindly buying into a brand, man. Computers are programmed to work properly but you still encounter error messages, don't you?
Every instrument has a soul, compatible with a human

I think you took what andrew said a little too seriously. and that last part is the weirdest thing I've ever heard. I think I know what you meant by it, but just to clear things up, trees do not actually have souls
and whats wrong with him liking every Taylor he's ever played? is it that hard to believe?

have you guys actually seen how Taylor makes guitars? Its not machine made like you would expect fender to make MIM guitars or any other machine made instrument for that matter. nearly everything is still pieced together by hand. and trust me, no major brand of guitars has employees sitting there all day with a hand planer and a jig saw. I really recommend all of Taylor's "Factory Fridays" videos on their website. whether you care about Taylor guitars or not, they are very informative and interesting for guitar enthusiasts in general. they have some great videos about guitar handlng, wood sourcing, and tone wood types as well.

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light
I think you took what andrew said a little too seriously. and that last part is the weirdest thing I've ever heard. I think I know what you meant by it, but just to clear things up, trees do not actually have souls
and whats wrong with him liking every Taylor he's ever played? is it that hard to believe?

have you guys actually seen how Taylor makes guitars? Its not machine made like you would expect fender to make MIM guitars or any other machine made instrument for that matter. nearly everything is still pieced together by hand. and trust me, no major brand of guitars has employees sitting there all day with a hand planer and a jig saw. I really recommend all of Taylor's "Factory Fridays" videos on their website. whether you care about Taylor guitars or not, they are very informative and interesting for guitar enthusiasts in general. they have some great videos about guitar handlng, wood sourcing, and tone wood types as well.

I didn't mean to sound like I was Taylor-knocking, that wasn't my intention. I happen to (generally) love the tone they produce. I have seen a few of the tour videos on their website, and they are interesting. I was merely saying that there's no perfect formula for guitar-building, and even if their was, nature plays a role no matter what.
As for the part about him not having played a Taylor he didn't like, well, I just got mixed up with his broken E-nglish (not saying that in a derogatory way, just saying).
Finally, if you don't believe your instrument has a soul then, that's your deal. I happen to feel a strong bond between myself and my woods, inexplicable really. And I think that some people can find a soulmate with their guitar (Willie Nelson and his destroyed Martin), and that other people are great at bringing out the best in a guitar just like some people can bring out the best in other humans.

But that's just me.
Quote by TimboSlice
I didn't mean to sound like I was Taylor-knocking, that wasn't my intention. I happen to (generally) love the tone they produce. I have seen a few of the tour videos on their website, and they are interesting. I was merely saying that there's no perfect formula for guitar-building, and even if their was, nature plays a role no matter what.
As for the part about him not having played a Taylor he didn't like, well, I just got mixed up with his broken E-nglish (not saying that in a derogatory way, just saying).
Finally, if you don't believe your instrument has a soul then, that's your deal. I happen to feel a strong bond between myself and my woods, inexplicable really. And I think that some people can find a soulmate with their guitar (Willie Nelson and his destroyed Martin), and that other people are great at bringing out the best in a guitar just like some people can bring out the best in other humans.

But that's just me.

yeah I agree that there's no perfect formula. Even Taylor knows that, which is why they offer different bracings and such in their BTO program. and yeah no 2 pieces of wood are equal. and it wasnt the Taylor bashing that got me, it was the attitude given to andrew. I could care less if everyone hated one thing or another

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
^Exactly, because you have that taste, and my tastes swing more toward a treble/mid heavy tone with just enough bass to even things out. I like to call it mellow twang. Its MY definitive acoustic tone because I grew up hearing an acoustic being played by Garth Brooks, and his signature guitar is a cedar top/mahogany back/sides guitar that he ALWAYS has fresh strings on
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
well you deff. took me too seriously.... as im sure there would be a taylor i didnt like... i just havent came across one yet....what im saying is i love taylors.... just because i love the "characteristic" taylor sound like obey the penguin said...but i love guitars in general and have found many i like at super low price points with less than recognizable names..... so i dont just blindly buy into a brand..
bass isnt really meant to be a cut through type of frequency, it only rounds out the lower mids really. even though I dont really care for playing bass, I've recently come to really appreciate bass in music after hearing some unfinished recordings at a friend's studio

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Seems things might got a tad heated. I am thinking about hitting the store this coming Sunday and try out a ****load of guitars and take it from there. Going to take my Yamaha with me in case I find something I really want. I seriously doubt they will give me more than $75 for my Yamaha. Why sell it? Because I am not crazy about the sound, it was my starting/getting back into guitar playing guitar. It's in great shape just doesn't have that sound I am looking for.
I have "junk" guitars that sound terrific, at least relative to others of the same model. I don't have the slightest clue why, but it seems even manufacturers of low end laminates stumble up and make something good occasionally.

Never really heard a Martin I didn't like, but I've seen plenty that I wouldn't pay the asking price for. I'm pretty cold-hearted when appraising instruments. Value is subjective, but I have no interest in losing money. On anything.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by fingerguy
Seems things might got a tad heated. I am thinking about hitting the store this coming Sunday and try out a ****load of guitars and take it from there. Going to take my Yamaha with me in case I find something I really want. I seriously doubt they will give me more than $75 for my Yamaha. Why sell it? Because I am not crazy about the sound, it was my starting/getting back into guitar playing guitar. It's in great shape just doesn't have that sound I am looking for.

Just keep it... some day if your out camping or on a beach you dont necessarily wanna bring your nice guitar...
Quote by Crashton
Just keep it... some day if your out camping or on a beach you dont necessarily wanna bring your nice guitar...

I'll consider it but highly doubt it. I am a big believer especially when it comes to guns and guitars to learn the one you have. I don't get how guys can have so many guitars even if they can afford it. Look at Slash. I totally respect the guy as a musician, but dude how many Les Pauls do you need? I know you have the money but DAMN!!!
Quote by DavesCrusade
martin has some pretty good acoustics for not too much money
alvarez are also pretty good
the best ive played though are Gibsons yes you're paying for a name but if you play a $3000 acoustic guitar you'll feel like you've got the greatest instrument in your hands

I agree w/ the 3000$ part those guitars will put a tear in your. imo completely worth the investment. Just dont forget to insure it =)
Quote by fingerguy
I'll consider it but highly doubt it. I am a big believer especially when it comes to guns and guitars to learn the one you have. I don't get how guys can have so many guitars even if they can afford it. Look at Slash. I totally respect the guy as a musician, but dude how many Les Pauls do you need? I know you have the money but DAMN!!!

there are reasons beyond vanity for this. different pickup combinations, different sentimental values, different tunings.

Im not sure how many electric guitars I would ever want to own, but I could never own enough acoustics. the varieties of tone woods, body shapes, and different tunings out there could leave someone like me wanting 50+ acoustic guitars. imagine 12 different guitars with different body shapes and tone woods...now you need each one as a 12 string version as well! maybe a few 9 strings? baritone? short scale, long scale? all in different tunings! when you really think about the possibilities it will drive you crazy.

Richie Sambora of Bon Jovi also plays a different guitar for every song when they play live. its amazing, really

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light
there are reasons beyond vanity for this. different pickup combinations, different sentimental values, different tunings.

Im not sure how many electric guitars I would ever want to own, but I could never own enough acoustics. the varieties of tone woods, body shapes, and different tunings out there could leave someone like me wanting 50+ acoustic guitars. imagine 12 different guitars with different body shapes and tone woods...now you need each one as a 12 string version as well! maybe a few 9 strings? baritone? short scale, long scale? all in different tunings! when you really think about the possibilities it will drive you crazy.

Richie Sambora of Bon Jovi also plays a different guitar for every song when they play live. its amazing, really

That is fine if you are TRULY making a living out of this. But as a hobby, and my small of a place as it is, no thanks. I have two styles as of now: finger playing and blues. Blues is kind of eh right now, but it's a work in progress. My finger playing isn't so bad but some of the harder chords I am still working on. There are days wtih B7 that my fingers just don't want to cooperate.

Well this was very informative and appreciated. I am still probably going to stick to my guns (no punt intended) sell the Yamaha if I find a guitar I am willing to spend $$$ on it. There is NO WAY I am spending 3k on anything unless it's towards an existing loan or/and towards a new SUV.
Quote by fingerguy
That is fine if you are TRULY making a living out of this. But as a hobby, and my small of a place as it is, no thanks. I have two styles as of now: finger playing and blues. Blues is kind of eh right now, but it's a work in progress. My finger playing isn't so bad but some of the harder chords I am still working on. There are days wtih B7 that my fingers just don't want to cooperate.

Well this was very informative and appreciated. I am still probably going to stick to my guns (no punt intended) sell the Yamaha if I find a guitar I am willing to spend $$$ on it. There is NO WAY I am spending 3k on anything unless it's towards an existing loan or/and towards a new SUV.

you probably shouldnt be punting guns

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce