Hey guys,

I have an Epiphone Valve Jr. half stack. I want to change the sound of it completely. I'm going to be getting the bitmo trio mod kit and some new tubes to install in it. I was also thinking about getting a new speaker for it. The thing is, I have the opportunity to pick up a Marshall 4x12 cab for about $100. I'm not sure of the speakers in it. Would I be better off just getting the 4x12 and worrying about the speakers later?
If you don't know what 4x12 cab it is, I wouldn't do it. Just because it's Marshall doesn't mean it's good. Especially if it's only $100..
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Yea, I figured that later I could put some better speakers in it. I guess thats just 4x the money though.

Truthfully, I have absolutely no use for a 4x12. I don't even know why I thought about it. I guess I thought it was a pretty good deal regardless of what was in it.
If the Marshall is a 1960, I'd get it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Apparently its a Marshall MG412A. It seems to have gotten pretty good reviews and is about $300 new. I might get it for the hell of it.
Quote by big_aug
Apparently its a Marshall MG412A. It seems to have gotten pretty good reviews and is about $300 new. I might get it for the hell of it.

Those aren't highly revered around here, really. Try it and see what you think first and come to your own conclusions.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
The more I think about it, I might as well just throw the money into a nice speaker for my current cab. I can always use it for another amp I get in the future. The Valve Jr has some kind of "it" factor that makes me want to make it better. The stock sound definitely sucks at higher volumes, but it's looks and simplicity make me love it.

So I guess I answered my own question. Hopefully the combination of new tubes, bitmo mods, and a new speaker make it a lot better. Now here's to hoping I don't burn it up with a soldering iron.
Quote by big_aug
The more I think about it, I might as well just throw the money into a nice speaker for my current cab. I can always use it for another amp I get in the future. The Valve Jr has some kind of "it" factor that makes me want to make it better. The stock sound definitely sucks at higher volumes, but it's looks and simplicity make me love it.

So I guess I answered my own question. Hopefully the combination of new tubes, bitmo mods, and a new speaker make it a lot better. Now here's to hoping I don't burn it up with a soldering iron.

Good choice.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
weber +1

i like the blue dog and silver bell lines for british style tone. they also have a number of good looking 'jenson' style speakers. drool. gotta try these tone tubbies i been hearing about.

i have had success cleaning up the valve jr. with a jj gold tipped 12at-7(the normal 12at-7 is good too), much cleaner and more stable tone. the jj el84 also sounds a bit more alive than what came stock. i ran an ecc803 instead of the 12ax-7 as well, and it was somewhat of an improvement if you prefer something dirtier like how it came stock.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
The MG cabs might as well be a block of concrete with speakers in it. I'd avoid them.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
MG cabs sound better with good speakers, my co-guitarist has one with 4 weber 25 watters and it sounds fine, he does have a single rec though, so maybe thats part of it >_<
Quote by big_aug

Do. Not. Buy.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I put mine in an old Sunn amp , I play through a Roland micro cube out to the Epi.
Sounds great !
I tried to maintain the Epi look..
http://my.raex.com/~bovardpb/valvejrproject.htm