So i just ordered a Line 6 SVHD100 and am going to install the SVpre Mod.
I want to upgrade all the tubes after doing so.
I will need
3 - 12AX7's
and
4- 6L6's

My ideal tone is: high gain, plenty of highs and lows, scooped mids, articulate, bright, and tight.

The tubes i was looking at are the
-Sovtek 12AX7LPS
-JJ / Tesla ECC83 / 12AX7 Gold Pin
-JJ / Tesla KT66

Any recommendations?
Last edited by ShestShestShest at Sep 11, 2009,
Preamp tubes can be swapped with anything, if I recall correctly. There are all kinds of different combinations to choose from and you can mix and match types as well as brands.

Power tubes are another thing. You should always match power tubes and have them properly biased if the amp isn't fixed-bias.

Most octal (8 pin) tube types can be swapped with each other with minor modifications to the socket wiring. EL84s are nonal (9 pin) and need a socket change or an adapter like a THD Yellow Jacket to perform a swap.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Preamp tubes can be swapped with anything, if I recall correctly. There are all kinds of different combinations to choose from and you can mix and match types as well as brands.

Power tubes are another thing. You should always match power tubes and have them properly biased if the amp isn't fixed-bias.

Most octal (8 pin) tube types can be swapped with each other with minor modifications to the socket wiring. EL84s are nonal (9 pin) and need a socket change or an adapter like a THD Yellow Jacket to perform a swap.

Oh i see, thanks for that. Looks like i'll have to make quite a decision.
Any recommendations?
You might not get the same results swapping tubes in the spider valve amp vs a pure tube amp. Its still got the digital modelling section so you may not notice much or any difference. And as you just ordered it might want to plug it in and use it a little before swapping tubes.
Quote by Tackleberry
You might not get the same results swapping tubes in the spider valve amp vs a pure tube amp. Its still got the digital modelling section so you may not notice much or any difference. And as you just ordered it might want to plug it in and use it a little before swapping tubes.

Well i'm going to be getting the SVpre mod which gives it more of a true tube tone and less of that digital crap.

The tubes i'm considering are
JJ / Tesla ECC83 / 12AX7 Gold Pin
or
Sovtek 12AX7LPS
though i'm leaning towards the Teslas
and
JJ / Tesla KT66
any recommendations?
Why would you buy a new amp just to switch out the tubes right away?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Why would you buy a new amp just to switch out the tubes right away?

-I'm Tone wh0re,
-I don't like stock sovteks.
-I wouldn't have bought the amp in the first place if i didn't desperately need a head for gigs and it was only 450$
-I think the stock Line 6 HD100 sounds like a giant gameboy playing really loudly.

HD100 + SVpre mod + New Tubes = decent amp
Quote by ShestShestShest
-I'm Tone wh0re,
-I don't like stock sovteks.
-I wouldn't have bought the amp in the first place if i didn't desperately need a head for gigs and it was only 450$
-I think the stock Line 6 HD100 sounds like a giant gameboy playing really loudly.

HD100 + SVpre mod + New Tubes = decent amp

Seems to me like you should've just bought a different amp if you're going to dump all that money into it just to get a "decent" tone out of it, tubes aren't going to make that much of a difference in tone if you already think it sounds bad Should've just bought the Vypyr 120 head for $100 more and called it a day.

Either way... I'd consider SED =C= 6L6s in the power amp and probably some JJs and Shuguangs in the preamp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Seems to me like you should've just bought a different amp if you're going to dump all that money into it just to get a "decent" tone out of it, tubes aren't going to make that much of a difference in tone if you already think it sounds bad Should've just bought the Vypyr 120 head for $100 more and called it a day.

Either way... I'd consider SED =C= 6L6s in the power amp and probably some JJs and Shuguangs in the preamp.

The vypyr doesnt sound any better and there probably isn't a mod like SVpre for it.
And i would have replaced the tubes in it as well so it would have been about the same price.
thanks for the recommendation though.
Quote by ShestShestShest
The vypyr doesnt sound any better and there probably isn't a mod like SVpre for it.
And i would have replaced the tubes in it as well so it would have been about the same price.
thanks for the recommendation though.

I dunno, I actually really liked the SV when I've tried it before, but the Vypyr Tube just took it to a new level on the one I tried one last Friday. To be honest, I think I liked it better than my Vetta
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I dunno, I actually really liked the SV when I've tried it before, but the Vypyr Tube just took it to a new level on the one I tried one last Friday. To be honest, I think I liked it better than my Vetta

I guess it's a matter of opinion and one of those cases like how white people think all black people look the same, and black people think all white people look the same.
I am anti digital/modelling so anything that isn't 100% organic/analog sounds like sh*t to me and i'm stubborn as a mule about it.
Quote by ShestShestShest
I guess it's a matter of opinion and one of those cases like how white people think all black people look the same, and black people think all white people look the same.
I am anti digital/modelling so anything that isn't 100% organic/analog sounds like sh*t to me and i'm stubborn as a mule about it.

So was I, until I bought my Vetta

Anyway, I'll stop cluttering up your thread haha. Good luck with the SV
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ShestShestShest

...and yet you're buying an amp with digital modelling in it?

As far as I know, even with the SVpre, the distortion is still modelled. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
The guy strymon who builds these things sure likes to toot his own horn. Painfully few details on its operation. And the fact he claims he doesnt have any before and after sound clips "because you have to be there to "feel" the difference" sounds like BS. The fact it would void the warranty on a brand new amp should put you off. Or that you will have to pay extra from another guy to make it a footswitchable feature. It still keeps the DSP section in the circuit. So its still a spider preamp with a tube "pushing" it.

Is interesting to learn that even tho line6 claims it has 3 12ax7 preamp tubes in it they according to strymon dont actually have any effect on your preamp signal. So for TS swapping those 3 stock tubes may not do a whole lot. I would hope strymon would provide a decent tube with his 149$ kit.
I would just play it stock and take the time to find a good tone before modding. Or, if you can't find a usable tone in those 30 days take it back if your store has that type of policy. I agree with what others said about you shouldn't be having to modify and amp to make it just "good enough". Ok, so you spent $450 and play thrash. For that you could just get a Peavey Windsor, decent 2x12 and an OD or EQ and you would be better off until you can save for a better amp. The Windsor is loud, cheap and does a decent JCM 800 impression....which is one of the stereotypical thrash amps. At least to me.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Fama
...and yet you're buying an amp with digital modelling in it?

As far as I know, even with the SVpre, the distortion is still modelled. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, but it sounds more tube like. I need a head for gigs and at 450 i can't complain.

Quote by Tackleberry
The guy strymon who builds these things sure likes to toot his own horn. Painfully few details on its operation. And the fact he claims he doesnt have any before and after sound clips "because you have to be there to "feel" the difference" sounds like BS. The fact it would void the warranty on a brand new amp should put you off. Or that you will have to pay extra from another guy to make it a footswitchable feature. It still keeps the DSP section in the circuit. So its still a spider preamp with a tube "pushing" it.

Is interesting to learn that even tho line6 claims it has 3 12ax7 preamp tubes in it they according to strymon dont actually have any effect on your preamp signal. So for TS swapping those 3 stock tubes may not do a whole lot. I would hope strymon would provide a decent tube with his 149$ kit.

I don't know, there are a lot of people on the line 6 forums that have installed it and swear by it, i'd like to give it a shot. If you're careful enough you could uninstall it to make it look like you didn't void the warranty, and i don't need the footswitchable feature.

Quote by LaidBack
I would just play it stock and take the time to find a good tone before modding. Or, if you can't find a usable tone in those 30 days take it back if your store has that type of policy. I agree with what others said about you shouldn't be having to modify and amp to make it just "good enough". Ok, so you spent $450 and play thrash. For that you could just get a Peavey Windsor, decent 2x12 and an OD or EQ and you would be better off until you can save for a better amp. The Windsor is loud, cheap and does a decent JCM 800 impression....which is one of the stereotypical thrash amps. At least to me.

The other guitarist in my band has the amp and i think it sounds like sh*t.
But i need a head for gigs and at 450$, i can't complain.

Gee Willickers, i wish you people would've spent half as much time recommending tubes as you did complaining about Strymon or why i bought a digital amp.
you want scooped mids and articulation? with a spider valve?

have fun. let me know if it ever happens.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
A tone whore who plays metal. blasphemy.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Quote by Austin_Scharosc

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Its called informed advice vs shooting from the hip. I went and looked up the mod. I can guarantee you your not gonna be able to open the amp do any soldering and line6 not notice if you send it back. It looks as if you have to drill holes for some switches for the mod, gonna be hard to cover up extra holes.

As for the tubes according to the info presented by the mod creator the stock preamp tubes dont have any affect on your tone. So according to him a stock tube swap wouldnt do anything to change tone. I suppose it could be true and the 2 tubes are for the FX loop and reverb. Ask in the line6 forums see what they have to say.

I use the various JJ tubes in my amps. Whether they be the regular 12ax7 or the 7025s. Never had a problem do the job.

As for harping on finding a different amp we hate to see someone buy something then come back a week later saying it sucks and they want something else. Its why we say take your guitar to a store and try different amps to find what you want. With the reliability issues some line6 amps have had the warranty may come in handy.
seriously were the hell did you find the 100HD head for 450 bucks... at that price I`d buy one.

i was looknig at one b4 i got my marshall and it was $950 just for the head
Quote by Fama
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BUG6262

450 for the head + SVpre will come to about that, right?

Oh damn, I didn't know about that. I'll have to consider it.
It's a 6505 rip off right?
I heard bugeras are not very sturdy, any opinion/advice?

Quote by Slayerdeath
seriously were the hell did you find the 100HD head for 450 bucks... at that price I`d buy one.

They are being discontinued i believe because of the Spider IV's and every site has them for 450.

Quote by Austin_Scharosc

What about EVH's sweet f*ckin' tone? Don't be so harsh.

Quote by Tackleberry
Its called informed advice vs shooting from the hip. I went and looked up the mod. I can guarantee you your not gonna be able to open the amp do any soldering and line6 not notice if you send it back. It looks as if you have to drill holes for some switches for the mod, gonna be hard to cover up extra holes.

As for the tubes according to the info presented by the mod creator the stock preamp tubes dont have any affect on your tone. So according to him a stock tube swap wouldnt do anything to change tone. I suppose it could be true and the 2 tubes are for the FX loop and reverb. Ask in the line6 forums see what they have to say.

I use the various JJ tubes in my amps. Whether they be the regular 12ax7 or the 7025s. Never had a problem do the job.

As for harping on finding a different amp we hate to see someone buy something then come back a week later saying it sucks and they want something else. Its why we say take your guitar to a store and try different amps to find what you want. With the reliability issues some line6 amps have had the warranty may come in handy.

True, changing the tubes probably won't do much but it will make me sleep better at night, and no switches or drilling required. Just some soldering and if i do it very carefully and resolder all the old parts back together properly, it shouldnt be hard to get away with it being under warranty at the repair shop. I'll take my chances.
Last edited by ShestShestShest at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by Slayerdeath

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-LIN-SPVHD100-LIST

or the combo for $400:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-LIN-SPV112-LIST
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ShestShestShest
Heads only.

Huh?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Huh?

My bad i thought you were replying to my reply to some guy's suggestion as an added suggestion.