A friend said i should start memorizing songs instead of a bunch of paper in front of me. I decided to take his advice and there is the obvious way of memorization which is hard pressed replaying and i have remembered 2 songs this way. but i would like tips or ways to improve memorization.
Focus on the different aspects of the songs. Like the chord progression, or how it makes you feel. Sometimes listening to the lyrics can even help.
Well, this is a relative question, it depends on everyone's memory, feelings and learning abilities!As Pwrmax said, you should learn the song by dividing it in parts (Intro, Verse, Chorus, Solo, Bridge, Outro, etc. etc.). Start from the intro, learn it, do it, and then learn the verse..once you learned it replay it from the start.
Also, knowing what you are doing will surely help you memorizing it! Do you know the chords that you are doing, or just passive playing from a tab?Well, giving a name to what you are doing will surely help you ^^

Theory helps you "getting confidential" with your instrument!There are some schemes that you will always see in lot of songs, even if they are different..When you will learn that after a chord it will be probable that there's a certain one instead of another, it will improve your memory..

Last but not least, improve your ear.When you play a song by year,it's easier to remember it than just looking its tab on a paper!!

I hope i have been of any help, and sorry for my bad english in some parts!!
Bye bye!
The way you first stated with learning a part thenplaying it overs how i memorized my first song xD
Im also playing from a tab and i've only done a few by ear. Like 3 and i forgot one of it. They sucked tho.
Im just learning MT i even went up to a musicteacher & asked to borrow a book. And the next song i planed to memorized in case your wondering is
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=DE6636FBF42B46A9&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&v=VvyP6yaHmHo

repeats & pretty easy to remember tho i wouldnt mind memorizing furelise but thats beyond me.
Quote by Thepredster
A friend said i should start memorizing songs instead of a bunch of paper in front of me. I decided to take his advice and there is the obvious way of memorization which is hard pressed replaying and i have remembered 2 songs this way. but i would like tips or ways to improve memorization.

focus on songs you like, so that you don't mind replaying it enough to have it memorized.
shred is gaudy music
I love classical music in general but if you mean I'll remember song that i already have in my head easier then yeah its loads easier & I'll only play a song i can listen to myself. that song ive only recently heard but its so fun. I've only just heard of francisco tarrega