Page 1 of 3
Hey, I've been playing guitar for a while now, and I think in a couple of months I might try and upgrade from the terrible 10 watt practice amp that came with my Yamaha Pacifica.

I've heard bad stuff about the Marshall MG series. They're all telling me to stay away from the "Smaller MG marshalls" Well, I'm considering getting an MG Half Stack. It's one of the larger amps, so I suppose it might not be bad like the "smaller series amps." Would this be a good purchase?

I play classic rock/hard rock. Led Zeppelin are by far my favourite, other favourites are Deep Purple, The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Queen - sometimes AC DC, Guns N' Roses, you get the idea.

Anyway, I'm gonna try and get one second hand so it's alot cheaper, if possible.

PS - I have to admit one of the reasons I want it is because it looks awesome and because it's big and MARSHALL!

Thanks for your time!
If you want a cheap halfstack get the Peavey Windsor
I've tried both amps and the Windsor is amazing.
The MG sounds really bright harsh, thin and cheap.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Try the vox AD series. The AD50Vt is awesome, but you can get a 100watt head/cab version. Much better bet, also with the Beatles reviaval going on they'll defiantly have street cred
small or big doesnt matter

if i do one thing in my lifetime it'll be this

MGs are SH!TE
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
el

oh

el
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
for the thread an +1 for the Windsor.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by blue_strat

You have got to be a troll.

+1000

If you've already got other people telling you to avoid MGs, but you are considering it anyway....what's the point of getting more opinions??

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
i have the marshall MG 100 watt combo
i find it has a decent Van halen distortion and sounds good with the reverb but the effects suck. also the clean/crunch is terrible. The clean it flat and bassy (in a bad way) and the crunch is flat as well. Yes it does have a marshall symbol on it and it have nice knobs but you'll be regretting it in 1-2 years. Also when you crank it up loud, all the notes blend together amd it sounds like noise instead of music...but thats just one dissatisfied customers opinion.
Quote by stanrobertsmith
i have the marshall MG 100 watt combo
i find it has a decent Van halen distortion and sounds good with the reverb but the effects suck. also the clean/crunch is terrible. The clean it flat and bassy (in a bad way) and the crunch is flat as well. Yes it does have a marshall symbol on it and it have nice knobs but you'll be regretting it in 1-2 years. Also when you crank it up loud, all the notes blend together amd it sounds like noise instead of music...but thats just one dissatisfied customers opinion.

thats everyone's opinion
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by Andron17
Try the vox AD series. The AD50Vt is awesome, but you can get a 100watt head/cab version. Much better bet, also with the Beatles reviaval going on they'll defiantly have street cred

The Beatles didn't use AD series amps, they weren't even around. Hell, amp modeling wasn't even around!

You're thinking of the Vox AC series, which is radically different.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by tr3nt

/thread.

Also, TS:
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by tr3nt

Funny thing is I think the same thing about the Windsor. But only when it comes to high gain
What about one of those Marshall Microstacks? Are they just a practice amp or can they be used live?
Quote by Eurozeppelin
What about one of those Marshall Microstacks? Are they just a practice amp or can they be used live?

They sound just as bad, if not worse, than the MG.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
I don't know what a troll is yet but in my opinion if your gonna get a marshall get an older one man... A "real" marshall...and I'm not talking 1960s either try a jcm 900 which are still fairly cheap or a reissue plexi (if you like jimmy page...that's a good one to get)

Newer marshalls suck **** ,everythings went downhill since jim marshall stopped being in charge of stuff
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by rdobson2
I don't know what a troll is yet but in my opinion if your gonna get a marshall get an older one man... A "real" marshall...and I'm not talking 1960s either try a jcm 900 which are still fairly cheap or a reissue plexi (if you like jimmy page...that's a good one to get)

Newer marshalls suck **** ,everythings went downhill since jim marshall stopped being in charge of stuff

he still is. He still owns marshall.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Trolling: Trolling is where you post intending to get a negative reaction or to start a flamewar. An example is posting 'all Fenders suck' without saying that it's your opinion or justifying it. This will be met with a warning or ban depending on severity and your track record.

Found in the Rules Sticky - which some of us obviously need to read.
Well, Ok, can someone explain the difference to me between an MG series half stack and a JCM half stack. Seriously, I mean the real technical difference. I've watched videos on youtube of both being used, and I can't tell any difference in quality between the tone of each. Maybe because I'm a beginner I haven't developed an "ear for tone," but I'd just like someone to explain the difference.

Thanks,
the larger MGs are exactly the same as the smaller once. the difference is, they are bigger, louder, and more overpriced. they sound identical. so if your instincts tell you to stay away from the smaller MGs, then i would really advise you to stay even further away from the halfstack.

and i quite like the new version of the MG, as a practice amp, but again, the larger models are a pointless waste of money.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
the bigger MGs are the worst. the 10w one is just about passable as a practise amp if you keep it below 2.

MG stacks = failstack

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Eurozeppelin
Well, Ok, can someone explain the difference to me between an MG series half stack and a JCM half stack. Seriously, I mean the real technical difference. I've watched videos on youtube of both being used, and I can't tell any difference in quality between the tone of each. Maybe because I'm a beginner I haven't developed an "ear for tone," but I'd just like someone to explain the difference.

Thanks,

One's solid state, one's valve powered.

One sounds like bee's in a blender, one sounds like heaven.

One's regarded as a pile of wank, one is regarded as one of the best amplifiers ever made.

Technical, schmechnical - i'm not going to beat around the bush.

Save up for a Vox Valvetronix AD30

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
If you haven't developed an ear for tone yet than just stick with your current amp.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by rdobson2

How much are the JCM half stacks these days (second hand?)

My other question is what are "re-issue plexi?" and finally, if I was able to get a JCM head, how would I get a speaker for it and how do you link them together?
Last edited by Eurozeppelin at Sep 12, 2009,
Depends on model, version, condition and year made.

Seriously dude, instead of going for a MARSHALL STACK, take our collective advice and buy the Vox AD30.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
^He just wants a Marshall. In which case I take no pity on him if he ends up with an MG (take it from me, the cabs really suck HARD). He could easily research this, there's tons of information on Marshall on the interwebz.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by Eurozeppelin

My other question is what are "re-issue plexi?" and finally, if I was able to get a JCM head, how would I get a speaker for it and how do you link them together?

Ok, re-issue means that it's an old, discontinued product who's being "reissued", that means they start making it again with the original specs. The plexi is one the first amplifier made by Marshall and is pretty much what created the classic rock sound.
Quote by rdobson2

you realize how loud you have to get a plexi before it breaks up, right?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Ok, how are the Orange Tiny Terror amps for this style? I've also been reccomended them, just for a second opinion?
Quote by Eurozeppelin

About the amp connecting to the cab...read the stickies.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
You know something, TS:
Do NOT bother getting a stack. You don't need one. Just get a used JCM800 combo.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
He doesn't even need a better amp if he can't hear the tone difference between a JCM and a MG.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Jhachey22
you realize how loud you have to get a plexi before it breaks up, right?

Yeah that is the downfall to them but they sound so good and they sound so good being pushed by overdrives and fuzzes.....

Plus its a very simple circuit that you can probably mod more than any tube amp ever if you wanna cheat and over load the plate....

I guess I was kinda like the TS though....I only tried a few other amps...I've tried mesa boogies (too metal sounding for me) and some old fenders (lovely tone just liked the marshall tone better) so I probably don't have enough knowledge about other brands to give a general opinion

About the jcm half stacks....look on ebay to see how muc their going for...or use craigs list...the jcm 800s are getting ridiculously hard to find especially stock...jcm 900s are as good in my opinion but they are still great and closer to the real marshall sound that any of their new stuff

And I answer another person....jim marshall owns marshall....no ****...but his daughter RUNS the company.....and its been like that for about 5 or 6 years....hence every amp has been crap since around then ironically lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by Eurozeppelin

They are far worse.

Marshall logo =/= Good

Just because your favorite guitar players use Marshall doesn't mean you have to... play some different amps and see what YOU like
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
guys be nice to the kid, you were all noobs once too.

and TS, i have the MG halfstack and like these guys say, its pretty mediocre. my advice is:

a. dont let the guys at guitar center sell you an amp

b. research as many amps as you can and go into the store knowing exactly what you want

good luck finding a new amp. im am also on this same quest.
^I S*** you not compadre!

Quote by Explorerpro
You Sir, Are Made Of Win.

Quote by El Hilliaro
Wow TS, this is a seriously great, original idea.

Anyway, I'm off, for some reason I have the strongest urge to listen to The Ramones.
Page 1 of 3