I want to connect my laptop to one of the inputs on my guitar amp, so that i can run synths and vocal effects. But when i connect it I get really a really harsh screech from my amp.

I have two options for laptops to use:
1) Old crappy dell (has the programs i need)
2) Apple iBook (has none of the programs i need)

If I could I would like to keep it simple with the dell but if its not cost effective or easy how would I run windows programs on the mac without boot camp?

programs:
1) Line 6 GearBox
2) FL Studio
option 1:
laptop speaker out -> 1/8"(male) to 1/4"(female) adapter -> 1/4 patchcord -> amp

option 2:
laptop speaker out -> 1/8" patchcord(mp3 player style) -> 1/8"(female) to 1/4"(male) adapter -> amp

this will not sound good, that amp is made for guitar, but it will work. if this doesn't work... then something is wrong. this should also work regardless of computer type, all you need is a speaker out. if you don't know what i am talking about above, then you need to do some research because you really should know what that is.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I have a Line 6 Gear Box I use for recording but it also has a line out on the back I can run to an amp. How are you connecting your laptop to your amp?
Its do-able. Try muting/turning off the built in microphone in the laptop to get rid of the squeel. There are many things to be wary of though when doing something like this. Guitar speakers aren't meant to be a.) handling the low frequencies any laptop can easily make (in your synth or vocal effects for example.)
and b.) are not meant to handle the extremely high output of computers.

So, make sure you keep the volume down mainly on the computer. Try to make it as loud as your guitar would sound through the amp at the same amplifier volume. Just don't be too loud in general for the sake of your speakers, and try to avoid anything with very low tones.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by BobDetroit
I have a Line 6 Gear Box I use for recording but it also has a line out on the back I can run to an amp. How are you connecting your laptop to your amp?

I have already tried doing what gumbilicious suggested through the dell but i get that squeel.

Faux Affliction I will try what you have suggested when i get back home from my dads.