So at band practice last Saturday my Peavey Classic 50 blew a fuse. I didn't think much of it since it's used and the fuse probably hasn't ever been changed. I put in a new fuse and the amp turned on and started making this horrible humming/screeching sound for a bit, which I assumed to be a microphonic tube being exacerbated by the fan inside the amp, but then the fuse blew a second time.

Am I right in assuming that this is an issue with the power tubes, or is it something else entirely? Any help is greatly appreciated. I might be selling or trading the amp soon and I need it to be in working order.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
It certainly sounds like a power tube gone bad. Hopefully that's what it is, because the other options are something in the power supply, which is a lot harder to fix.

I'd throw in a new set of power tubes, or just pull the inner two tubes, then the outer two if you want to diagnose it without buying a new set.
I know this is a dumb answer but is the amp set on the right ohms for the cab?.....

My kids messed with my switch before and I blew a fuse because of that....
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by Roc8995
It certainly sounds like a power tube gone bad. Hopefully that's what it is, because the other options are something in the power supply, which is a lot harder to fix.

I'd throw in a new set of power tubes, or just pull the inner two tubes, then the outer two if you want to diagnose it without buying a new set.

This ^ Pull the tubes and fire it up. If the fuse doesn't blow then you have a bad tube.
It seemed like all four of the power tubes were still glowing, so should I still check them?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Bump: I just pulled the outer two tubes and the amp seems to be working fine now, albeit at lower volumes thanks to the missing tubes. I'll probably order a whole new set, since they're the stock tubes from 1994 when the amp was made.

Thanks everyone!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Another bump: Pulling the outer tubes worked for a while, but the fuse blew. I'm trying it with the inner tubes pulled. What do I do if the fuse blows again?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣