would you recommend or not recommend doing it? Im just a bit shaky about buying a guitars from ebay. Im thinkin about buying an LP off ebay, but i dont know how to tell if its a fake or not.

Also, im nervous that its possible i could get it and it could sound like ****, if this were to happen, what should i do??

thanks a lot

-drew
I'd suggest not buying guitars online, especially on ebay, for exactly the reasons you're worried about. Craigslist and local stores are great places to get gear, and you don't have to pay shipping. It may cost a bit more, but if you get a crap guitar on ebay you're kind of screwed, and you're out shipping- both ways if you resell it.
I'm very against buying online. It is a super "Let the Buyer Beware." (I totally forgot my latin all the sudden). I think the only people I would ever buy from online would be Rondo, and thats because you dont really find their stuff in stores.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by Chaos Nil
It is a super "Let the Buyer Beware." (I totally forgot my latin all the sudden)

Caveat Emptor
Quote by Roc8995
Caveat Emptor

Yes, thats what it was! Man, I took like three years of Latin too and couldn't remember that...
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
ok...but why would craig's list be any better?

Heres another question...if i were to order a guitar from another guitar center to be shipped to mine so i could buy it, lets say before i buy it when its at my store, i decided i dont like it. Do they just keep it in their inventory or do they freak out at you? hah
i wouldnt recommend it, stuff from ebay is always messed up/bad in one way or another
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
I have bought a couple of guitars off Ebay, and both experiences worked out really well for me, but neither of my purchases were on the scale of a Gibson Les Paul either. For something of that nature and cost I would suggest trying it out in person rather than going on someone's opinion.

Also, look at it this way, if it turned out to be crap or a fake, could you afford to just right off the money spent? If not, then you probably shouldn't be doing it.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
It's fine as long as you know what you're doing and don't take risks. If you're not knowledgeable about guitars and good at spotting dodgy ads, just confine yourself to local/pick up deals.
Quote by ipunchcouches
ok...but why would craig's list be any better?

Heres another question...if i were to order a guitar from another guitar center to be shipped to mine so i could buy it, lets say before i buy it when its at my store, i decided i dont like it. Do they just keep it in their inventory or do they freak out at you? hah

Craigslist is better because you can play the guitar before you buy it. That's the key.

I think Guitar Center makes you put money down when ordering from other stores, but I think you could then take advantage of their 30 day return policy (not sure what it is for used instruments though).
Quote by ipunchcouches
would you recommend or not recommend doing it? Im just a bit shaky about buying a guitars from ebay. Im thinkin about buying an LP off ebay, but i dont know how to tell if its a fake or not.

Also, im nervous that its possible i could get it and it could sound like ****, if this were to happen, what should i do??

thanks a lot

-drew

I only buy my guitars online from E-stores with great feedback.
I've filled my home studio with beautiful new and used equipment purchased on eBay
for a fraction of what I would have paid in a music store. (some pics in my profile). You have to make an effort to " know" the seller and know exactly what you are buying. Read the ads carefully. Check the sellers history. Is the ad well written? Send the seller a message and see if they respond promptly. Make sure you understand the shipping arrangements. Many items are listed by established buisinesses. Make sure you have contact information in case you do have a problem. I've purchased more than 100 seperate items and I have never had an unresolved issue. IMO If you're not buying on eBay you're really limiting your selection and you're paying waaay too much!!
I've bought NEW guitars on ebay before, but from an actual retail store thats posting on ebay. Works well in that respect. I actually called the company, talked with them on the phone regarding my purchase, and everything went great.
Be sure to check the sellers feedback score, and make sure its an actual retailer of that guitar, you shouldnt have a problem. always helps to get in touch with them
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Ive bought an amp, cab, guitar, and many a pedal through ebay before, and it has always worked out fine for me. Make sure the seller has a good (well, perfect really) feedback store and has had positive transactions with more than a handful of people though.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I've been buying gear off eBay for the last 8 years; amps, guitars, pedals, stings, cables, and more. I've never once been dissatisfied. Not once. You have to know what to look for in a SELLER, not necessarily in gear, to know you're getting a good product.
If you know what your doing theres no reason not to..

Check his feedback from other buyers, check his item info, you can even ask him questions, if everythings in check go for it.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
you're covered up to 2 grand if anything happens, so no worries as long as you do your homework, i bought a gibson les paul classic antique(1600) and a gibson sg standard (800) and my hughes kettner switchblade(900), the only thing that was was working was the foot switch with the amp which the seller gave me an reimbursement fee. with all the new policies paypal has reinforced it's pretty safe now. i recommend buying online, and if you want to make sure it's legit give gibson customer service and call and run the serial number over with them. if your still doubting once you get the guitar, get it checked, and if is fake you can file a case against the seller through paypal for fake/frauds, you'll be guarantee to get your money back. hoped that helped.