Forgive me if this is about as taboo bass-wise as buying a Squier Bullet and an MG is guitar-wise, but this is my first bass purchase, so I have virtually no idea what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I've messed around with the basses at work(I work in a music shop), and I can play decently enough to get away with recording basslines in original material along with my guitar, singing and drum machine. I'm poor though, especially once I get the microphone and the laptop I plan to record with since this thing sounds like a dying animal and my mic is a USB mic that came with a copy of Rock Band.

Being as I'm a guitarist in my band and therefore am more likely than not going to just use this thing at home for recordings, and I've heard plenty of people in Riffs & Recordings say both that a bass can sound good going direct-in with the interface instead of using a mic and an amp, and that Geddy Lee, one of my all-time favourite bassists if not my favourite, does so, I don't intend to buy an amp, just the bass for now.

Anyway, being as I'm poor I need it cheap, and while I usually decry their instruments as "Good, but better can be had and they're a beginner-intermediate brand overrated by people who have them because they want to feel good about the purchase", I've been looking into Rondo's stock since they have a money-back satisfaction guarantee according to the fellows in EG, and because I love J-bass style basses, but the Squiers, if they're anything like the guitars they make, suck up to the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series, and those are more than I'd like to spend(Pathetic I know, but just bear with me).

Basically, would this actually be able to stay in tune and sound passable on guitar-oriented blues-rock-ish instrumentals and prog-rock vocal-and-guitar oriented songs with occasional bass solos?

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb57.html

And if not could I get some recommendations?

Greatly appreciated as always.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
SX is just fine. The entire reason Rondo has survived as long as it has is because its instruments are awesome for the price. I have an SX Fretless P-bass, $99 model, and I love it. It's built much better than my $200 Squier....honestly there isn't a lot of difference in its quality and that of my dad's MIM Jazz.
Nope, no sig here.
SX have crappy electronics, but make a fantastic basis for an upgrade bass.
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
Hmm...alright, I guess I can work with that since I get an employee discount on electronics and such. How much si shipping from Rondo?

Hmm...not bad, not bad at all. Alright, much appreciated guys.

I guess this thread is pretty much resolved, but I'll butt in anyway. I honestly can't think of a better bass than an SX when your poor. The non-replaceable stuff (the neck and body) is good, but to keep them cheap they use crappy electronics and meh hardware. However these are the easiest things to replace, and you can slowly upgrade it. New pups here, better bridge there, soon enough you've got a decent, if not good, bass.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I'm thinking of buying a few of these and messing around with them. I wonder if I could stick a lefty neck on a righty body, use a righty nut, and make a reverse headstock jazz?
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by cal1
I'm thinking of buying a few of these and messing around with them. I wonder if I could stick a lefty neck on a righty body, use a righty nut, and make a reverse headstock jazz?

That sounds awesome. Don't patent that idea...

<_<
>_>
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
That sounds awesome. Don't patent that idea...

<_<
>_>

Aaaahh, I'll kill you I kind of like the one pirate Jazz, I'll make that a reverse headstock and put the old pickups from my Millennium 5 in (I'm getting new pickups for it anyway).
Quote by RPGoof
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

Quote by cal1
Aaaahh, I'll kill you I kind of like the one pirate Jazz, I'll make that a reverse headstock and put the old pickups from my Millennium 5 in (I'm getting new pickups for it anyway).

Ah well I'm more of a quarter pounders with 18v pre-amp kinda guy so I supppose we won't end up with the same thing after all
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
About the right-handed body and lefty neck, someone on here a long while ago used a lefty SX neck on a right handed Squier or Fender body, so I'm pretty sure it can be done.

EDIT: I went on a search for that build, but no luck. let me know if you find a P Bass build in black and natural with a reverse headstock, it was really cool.
Quote by LordBishek
Last edited by Brodie337 at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by cal1

you can, it's been done alot.

and i know that cone from sum41 did it too. I was gonna do it to mine as well, but a new neck was out of the budget and I don't wanna do it anymore.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I have an SX 301 Bass collection thingy, and I love it.

At my local youth complex there's an Encore bass that's really good, except the hardware and electronics, like the SX ones.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by gilly_90
Ah well I'm more of a quarter pounders with 18v pre-amp kinda guy so I supppose we won't end up with the same thing after all

Due the fact that I've spent most of my musical life playing terrible equipment, I'd be ok as long as it makes noise.
Quote by RPGoof
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

Honestly, the only thing crappy about their electronics is the fact that they use mini pots, and lack proper shielding....just like any other bass under $300. The pickups are made to the same specs as Fender's. Honestly I doubt any of you can tell the difference between a Fender's tone and an SX's. Le's see, shall we? One of these is a '79 Fender P, the other is an '07 SX P...same strings, same amp settings.

http://www.bigassbroadcast.com/bass01.mp3
http://www.bigassbroadcast.com/bass02.mp3
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Sep 13, 2009,
^Page can not be found but +1 to him.

I remember it from your profile. The only difference was the fenders range was slightly more agressive and mellow. But what can you expect from a 1000 AUD + bass compared to a 300 AUD or lower bass.

SX basses are great, on par with the VM series IMHO. They are a good base for modding and you can. without too much trouble, turn a 200 dollar SX into a 1000 dollar fender.

The only two notable downsides i can really think of are the orange necks which is purely aesthetic and the wiring / shielding.
Here's some working links, sorry about that.
http://www.mediafire.com/?zxoozzjzimz
http://www.mediafire.com/?xlzo4ujtymk

They finally noticed the orange neck thing as well, thank god. The newer ones don't have it. Some of the older ones still on the site have a very thick tint, but it's not at all what it used to be. I'll get a pic up in a minute

edit: here we go. The old neck color, the "day glo orange" that everyone complained about, was like this, but sometimes with even more orange tint to it. This is a really old model on the site.

Compared to the slightly newer models (mine is like this...I like it.):

And the newest ones:
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Sep 13, 2009,
Mine's a tad lighter then the first image, but not as light as the second.

Did you play those two clips? It's some good playing
My next bass might be an sx jazz to go with my fender jazz just so i have a bass that is reliable that i can chuck in the car or on the bus or werever. For 170 dollars including postage to Ireland its well worth it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I have one, its pretty good for the price. I just use it for recording, sometimes I go direct and other times I mic it through my guitar amp.
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 13, 2009,
anyone know exactly where I could get a full scale lefty SX Jazz neck?
Quote by RPGoof
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

Last edited by cal1 at Sep 13, 2009,
Quote by cal1
anyone know exactly where I could get a full scale lefty SX Jazz neck?

They pop up on the parts/bodies section of the site occasionally. Other than that, Warmoth, Allparts, Mighty Mite, etc...

edit:
Quote by Bass First
Mine's a tad lighter then the first image, but not as light as the second.

Did you play those two clips? It's some good playing

Nope, that was JimmyM, of Talkbass fame.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Sep 14, 2009,
Ebay it mahaps?

You see alot of P basses and J basses in bits on Ebay. Its kinda sad really.
Quote by LordBishek