Hey everyone. I bought a Taylor 310ce a few months ago and it is the nicesst thing I've ever played in my life...but i do have a question. I don't replace my strings very often unless I have some sort of show to play in a month, but I'm wondering how often I should replace my strings? And it would be nice if you could also give me a recommendation to some good acoustic strings that aren't nylon. I'm a big fan of Martins, but I dunno if I should look into others

Thanks
FUNK.

My acoustic orginals
My voice isn't that great...but take a listen. I still have yet to perfect my vocals

Sunshine
I Have a 98 310-ce. While it was my prize possession for a few years I have grown out of it. It has a very flat dull sound to me now. In other words it has very little body reverb, however, the playability and precision is quite good. I played with coated D'addarios. 12 Gauge strings. Depending on how much you play is how often you need to change them. You should change them once your G string begins to dent from the excessive wear against the frets. Myself I changed them once a month. I usually change my strings the day before a show and play them a little to allow them to stretch and tone.

Other good string options depending on your playing style are uncoated phosphor DR's. You don't want those if you slide a lot, but for rhythm they rock.
how often you change your strings is really up to you. some people like the sound of dull strings. I dont, but I dont like the sound of brand new strings either. I like about a week's worth of grime and sweat on them lol. I believe there's a group on this forum for people that never change their strings, but anyway...if you get some coated strings like Elixir poly or nano web lights then they will stay bright, tense, and punchy for a good 2 months. Uncoated strings like D'addrio Phosphor Bronze, in my experience have those characteristics for about 1 month at most. it really depends on how much you play and how clean your hands are when you play and what kind of strings you end up getting.

I prefer the sound of a nice set of PB strings on my acoustics, but that doesnt mean I always get PB's or the same brand of any kind of string.

EDIT: your Taylor 310 came stock with a set of Elixir light guage nano web strings. so if you bought it new and liked those strings then thats what they were.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Last edited by Bright Light at Sep 12, 2009,
I never bought it new. It's an '04 model so the strings might be different
But I'm not a fan of dull strings at all. I'm like you, I love getting a good amount of playing on them before I fall in love with the sound.

With school and sports and such, I squeeze in about 8 hours a week which I'm kinda upset about...I wanna play more! But I don't use a pick, and it seems like my strings get worn down much easier, along with their coating always making the skin about my idex nail black haha.

Thanks for the help!

Oh, and Crashton, I know what you mean about the tone. The wood really takes away from the volume and reverb. Even though it's a Dreadnaught, it's not getting the full sound that I've dreamed of, but in my budget, it's pretty damn close!
FUNK.

My acoustic orginals
My voice isn't that great...but take a listen. I still have yet to perfect my vocals

Sunshine
Quote by Bright Light

EDIT: your Taylor 310 came stock with a set of Elixir light guage nano web strings. so if you bought it new and liked those strings then thats what they were.

The 310CE comes stock with medium gauge Elixirs. I can't attest for 5 years ago though. TS, your guitar also has Tusq saddle and nut. Have you considered upgrading to true bone. It can really open up the tone of some guitars.
Quote by LeftyDave
The 310CE comes stock with medium gauge Elixirs. I can't attest for 5 years ago though. TS, your guitar also has Tusq saddle and nut. Have you considered upgrading to true bone. It can really open up the tone of some guitars.

ah yes I just checked. I wasnt aware that x10 guitars came with mediums. sorry
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce