I will have saved about $1000 (australian) by around christmas and was planning to buy another guitar. But i got thinking that if i sold my first guitar i could probably get something alot better and/or have more flexibility with the features I want, rather than setlling for second best because of my budget. My first guitar is this except i have upgraded it with an EMG 81/85 set. (basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, TOM wraparound, bcrich tuners, 24 jumbo frets).

The guitar im looking at getting is this:

http://www.ibanezguitarcentre.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=123

I play most metal styles and would prefer active pickups. Inlays are not an issue, having none doesnt bother me, but the inlay on the ibanez is an added bonus. I would prefer active pickups (which they are), and refuse to buy anything besides an OFR, ZR bridge or Edge Pro bridge. I also would prefer a mahogany body. I have a buget of like $1500 max (I dont reckon my current axe will fetch much at all, maybe a few hundred). So it basicaly narrows it down to this exact guitar LOL.

If anybody has any idea how much my original guitar would be worth it would be appreciated (The finish has quite alot of pick scratches and the paint on the tips of the 2 rear points has worn off, thanks to my mate >.<. Also the pickups are only around 4months old).

Also opinions on whether i actualy should sell my guitarl, and whether the ibanez im looking at is good and worth it. (its gotten good reviews everywhere).

cheers.
Last edited by shredder408 at Sep 11, 2009,
I wouldn't sell the Rich. Grab the Saber, and swap pickups between it and the Rich. The EMGs will do better in the Ibanez anyhow.

You'd need a lot more money to get something a lot better than the S520, but then again, it depends on the features you would like that the Saber doesn't have.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
if i was you id keep ur first guitar like a trophy and hang it on the wall. its what i did with mine. it has a sentimental value to me. so many long hours of learn riffs and stuff.
Gear
2009 Schecter Solo 6 DSG limited 1 of 50 in the USA
Ovation Celebrity
TC Electronic: Polytune
Digitech RP355 Multieffects Pedal
Quote by HeyItsChenny
thank you very much, Seaweed
if you like it, keep it. if you don't, sell it. no needs to keep your guitar for sentimental purposes, unless you love it, in which case you wouldn't be considering a sale
It's all about feel
u could sell it but in a year you will realize what a dick u were and will commit suicide
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
i enjoy looking back at my first guitar thinking.. jaysus, htf did i learn to play on that?! the action is 70mm, the pups are microphonic, yet at the time it was my be all and end all. I loved it and still do. Maybe it means more when you dont have rich folks so the heap you do end up with you treasure. Now that I am all grown up and can afford guitars and gear, Ibuy what i like but my 1st always stays
i wouldnt sell it, even if u hate try modding it a little basicly just to practice playing with pickup hight, refinishing etc cos u dont play it
My first guitar is laying in pieces under the bed... Don't miss it at all.

If yours isn't doing it for your anymore then go ahead and start shopping around.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
well sell it if you don't want it, i got my first guitar (fender strat) then a year later bought a a ibanez rg2550z and sold my fender. but if your attached to it then keep it
FOR SALE: MESA BOOGIE STUDIO PREAMP
Ship Worldwide, Message me for details.
Never sell your first guitar!

I've kept mine, even though it costs about nothing, can't hold tune and sounds... well, actually decent. But it was the guitar I learnt to play on... Sentimental value!
Gear:

Eastone ST-1
Jackson RR3 Limited Edition
Kustom Arrow 16
Line 6 POD X3 Live
The Box MA-120 MK-II
I'm not really the sentimental type, I've sold the first 2 guitars I've ever received, and I don't care. If I were getting a Gibson, I'd probably sell my current Les Paul too.

Well maybe not. I'd have to consider.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
I thought i should mention that i'd been learning guitar for about 8 months on my uncles (he lent it to me for that period) before I bought this guitar so it wasnt exactly the guitar id learnt and struggled on and stuff... I am a bit of a sentimental value person but not to a great degree.

Another problem is I'm in a band, and with a signature series guitar being my only guitar I dont realy want to gig with it, seems too ''wannabe'' lol.

Still kinda torn tho...
Meh if the guitar meets your need and you still like to play it then go for it but if you dislike it to the point that you wanna chop the guitar up and burn it then it won't hurt to sell it to fund for a guitar that is alot better. Personally I would never sell my guitars I like each one of them to justify keeping them (probably not a good idea if i'm honest).
DO NOT sell..it's a fine guitar and you will not get a lot of money for it ..better to keep it
Who cares if its a signature? Bands at my school have used signature guitars and really, no one cares. Its not like anyone who doesn't play guitar will recognize them anyway.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Guitars exist to be played. If you won't play your ****ty BC Rich, then sell it (after taking the EMGs out) so you can buy a better guitar that you will play.

And I'd suggest getting this guitar, for more versatility (with the single coil).

http://www.ibanezguitarcentre.com.au/Guitars/Ibanez/S/S470DXQMRVK/S470DXQMBBB/tabid/179/Default.aspx

EDIT: And it's the same price as the other one.... And has a nice top.
Last edited by mamosa at Sep 12, 2009,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=91251

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S520EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=518873

Try it. It might save you a ton of money.

Does it hold any sentimental value whatsoever?

Will you ever play it once you get your new guitar?

Are you going to use it as a backup?

Are you going to practice modding it or harvest its parts?

Would you pass it on to a friend who picks up guitar or sell it to him?

If you answered no to all of these, sell it.
Ibanez RG350MDX
Dunlop Jazz IIIs
DR Tite-fits(Only because High-Beams sell too fast for me to buy them)
Carvin X212B
Quote by MRavioli
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=91251

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S520EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=518873

Try it. It might save you a ton of money.

Does it hold any sentimental value whatsoever?

Will you ever play it once you get your new guitar?

Are you going to use it as a backup?

Are you going to practice modding it or harvest its parts?

Would you pass it on to a friend who picks up guitar or sell it to him?

If you answered no to all of these, sell it.

He lives in Australia, dude. It's 1275AUD....
^Bah, thanks. I didn't read the website right.

1275 aud is still 1100 usd, though. There really does have to be a better deal than 1275 aud when we get it for 600 here. Unless that's some odd Australian import tax?
Ibanez RG350MDX
Dunlop Jazz IIIs
DR Tite-fits(Only because High-Beams sell too fast for me to buy them)
Carvin X212B
Quote by MRavioli
^Bah, thanks. I didn't read the website right.

1275 aud is still 1100 usd, though. There really does have to be a better deal than 1275 aud when we get it for 600 here. Unless that's some odd Australian import tax?

Honestly i don't know. Everything out here seems to be more expensive... I can only put it down to our distance from america.

Also ive made my decision. Im going to just get a job again (i use to work at maccas once *shudders*) and stop being lazy and save the bit more so i can keep it
Last edited by shredder408 at Sep 12, 2009,
yeah i wouldnt get rid of it, my first guitar was a epi goth explorer FR with emg 81s, looking back i liked that a whole lot more than my old gibson, and ive been kicking myself since, and now im looking to invest in a metal suited guitar.... i wanna get this bad boy

i got a thing for white guitars

but seriously... dont sell it, there is absolutely no such thing as too many guitars
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Sep 12, 2009,
I don't see why everybody is against selling your first guitar... I reassured my first guitar that its sacrifice would help fund a better guitar.
Quote by ch0
My first guitar is laying in pieces under the bed... Don't miss it at all.

If yours isn't doing it for your anymore then go ahead and start shopping around.

same here. cept its just on my rack with my other guitars. i just dont have an interest in it because it isnt what im mainly interested in. i have one guitar modded mainly for some good rock and riffs. then a semi-hollow for some nice light sounds. my acoustic (which im getting a pickup for that) for naturals. then the guitar im rebuilding that is a lp mock (gonna make it great for anything from nice clean riffs to some good ol shreading). then my lp (which im selling and is my 1st guitar) which is just not what im desiring.

but im selling my lp and my amp to get a much bigger tube amp and a jackson (gotta love craigslist.
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
yeah i wouldnt get rid of it, my first guitar was a epi goth explorer FR with emg 81s, looking back i liked that a whole lot more than my old gibson, and ive been kicking myself since, and now im looking to invest in a metal suited guitar.... i wanna get this bad boy

i got a thing for white guitars

but seriously... dont sell it, there is absolutely no such thing as too many guitars

Thats the gutiar i was going to get till i decided to get a tremolo. Ive played it quite a while back, but as far as i can remember it was quite good.
Those BC Rich Warlocks are so heavy you could always keep it and use it as a boat anchor.