Alreet chaps,

Wasn't sure where to post this so I guess here will do. I'm off to University studying Music on monday and I'm looking to invest in some good headphones for recording/mixing.

I'm looking to spend between 60/80 Pounds... Can anyone recommend me some good over-ear headphones?
hm. look at skull candy headphones..not sure how much they will be in pounds but they have a lot to choose from and they have amazing bass response is great
Gear
2009 Schecter Solo 6 DSG limited 1 of 50 in the USA
Ovation Celebrity
TC Electronic: Polytune
Digitech RP355 Multieffects Pedal
Quote by HeyItsChenny
thank you very much, Seaweed
for recording/mixing, skullcandy's are terrible. get sennheisers
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Bizarro
i agree with seaweed.

i see what u did lol
Gear
2009 Schecter Solo 6 DSG limited 1 of 50 in the USA
Ovation Celebrity
TC Electronic: Polytune
Digitech RP355 Multieffects Pedal
Quote by HeyItsChenny
thank you very much, Seaweed
Quote by Joelieo
Alreet chaps,

Wasn't sure where to post this so I guess here will do. I'm off to University studying Music on monday and I'm looking to invest in some good headphones for recording/mixing.

I'm looking to spend between 60/80 Pounds... Can anyone recommend me some good over-ear headphones?

Turtle Beaches?
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Sennheiser's are pretty good but they lack low-mids, there good for casually listening to music and there in your price range, but never mix on them you will end up overcompensating and your mixes will be really boomy.
Chicken Arise, Arise Chicken, ARISE!!!!!
dont master with head phones, master with studio moniters. some decent head phones will do for recording.
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Quote by GArrigan
dont master with head phones, master with studio moniters. some decent head phones will do for recording.

This. Mixing with headphones will just result in you creating a poor mix because headphones have isolated stereo (not sure if that's a technical term ) due to each can surrounding your ear and blocking out the other's sound reaching that ear. With monitors, you get the balance of the two speakers, albeit one is more dominant for each ear.

Also, skullcandy are terrible; do NOT mix with them. They're consumer audio and definitely don't have a flat frequency response which you'd want for mixing. People suggesting them are mistaking the idea of headphones boosting certain frequencies as being 'good' for music. When you mix, you don't want something that changes the EQ of a song, you want something which is as accurate as possible to the recorded signals so you can mix it properly.

For your price-range, I guess I'd have to suggest Sennheiser but I really think you'd be better off buying a cheap (relatively) pair of active nearfield monitors; the first pair of monitors I 'learnt the ropes on' were Edirol MA-7A's... not great compared to my KRK Rokit RP6's (which again, are far from top-of-the-range) but I got by with them for a good year or so on my Sound Engineering & Production degree

Edit: Oh, and you'd have got better responses if you'd posted this thread in the Riffs & Recordings forum section; in future if you ask any sound engineering/production questions there you'll probably get more answers from people who have their own studios and/or make money recording other artists.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Sep 14, 2009,
Mate, next time just use the search bar, sick of all these headphone threads, and I'm also pretty sure you could ask it in the iPod and Accessories thread.

EDIT: Nvm, never noticed you wanted it for recording.
I think its time to pack your things lets go,
To a place where we both know,
And dont worry, I'll drive real slow,
Spend some time before we go..
Last edited by Wells-Zeppelin at Sep 14, 2009,
Cheers for the feedback chaps, about the monitors. I do usually record/mix on monitors but since I'm at University and intend to do some mixing/writing during my breaks on my Macbook I'm in need of some headphones. ^^

Went into a local store today and was recommended some Audio Technica ones for around 70 quid. D-50's or something? Anybody any experience with them or similar?
Quote by Sonny_sam
You would get much better results asking here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/

This really.

Not really good for mixing but this is what I'm using.

You might want some Alessandro, Grado or AKG's. I reckon those would be better for recording/mixing/music field.

Edit: Linkies

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/headphone-buyers-guide-271258/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/recommendations-best-headphones-market-new-old-13417/index60.html
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Sep 14, 2009,