SO yes,i have the cabinet. I don't know what the hell i want. I like the jcm 800 and Madison divinity II. I'm interested in learning more about mesa boogies and madison amps. I hate the 6505/5150s so don't even mention them. I want a sound that can do 80 thrash metal,bright cleans,and progressive like leads. Yes i play in a thrash metal influenced prog/80s metal.
Yes, JCM.

Mesas are just 110% gain, no tone.. Just gain, and the guts look more like a computer than an amp.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Jcm
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by ObliviousEnd
SO yes,i have the cabinet. I don't know what the hell i want. I like the jcm 800 and Madison divinity II. I'm interested in learning more about mesa boogies and madison amps. I hate the 6505/5150s so don't even mention them. I want a sound that can do 80 thrash metal,bright cleans,and progressive like leads. Yes i play in a thrash metal influenced prog/80s metal.

A JCM800 won't be able to do Thrash Metal, or Prog Lead tones without a boost, and maybe some mods. It doesn't have the most amazing cleans either. What's your budget like? Also, I disagree with the statement that Mesas are 110% gain and no tone - many people who say this do not know how to dial in a Mesa amplifier. They're excellent amps that can give you excellent tone, and are great for certain applications.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
A JCM800 won't be able to do Thrash Metal, or Prog Lead tones without a boost, and maybe some mods. It doesn't have the most amazing cleans either. What's your budget like? Also, I disagree with the statement that Mesas are 110% gain and no tone - many people who say this do not know how to dial in a Mesa amplifier. They're excellent amps that can give you excellent tone, and are great for certain applications.

I 1000 bucks and plan on getting it either 2nd hand or on ebay. I was playing the jcm 800 it really wasn't impressive.
Quote by ObliviousEnd
I 1000 bucks and plan on getting it either 2nd hand or on ebay. I was playing the jcm 800 it really wasn't impressive.

If you have $1000 for a used amp, you can get some great stuff. I normally don't suggest these, but for the variety of tones you want, I'd suggest getting a Randall RM100 amplifier off of the Randall MTS forums. They sell them really cheap there. You'll also need modules for it, and I'm not the right person to ask about those. PM Shinozoku. Otherwise, you may want to check out Engl Amps, namely the Screamer and the Blackmore. Other Engls might be great, I just haven't tried them. Other amps to consider are the Line 6 Vetta II head, or the Line 6 HD147. Both are solid state modelling amps, but both are absolutely excellent. Bumblefoot of Guns N' Roses used one for a while, but now he uses Engls. Peavey JSX amps are great, and can do any of the genres you listed. Finally, I'd also recommend a Carvin X3. They're absolutely excellent amps for metal, and you can get many other tones out of them too. These would all be great for you, but the Carvin is absolutely an excellent amp, you can't try them unless you live in California though.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
If your budget was a bit higher, I'd recommend the ENGL Blackmore.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
mesa mark IV/V
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Raijouta
If your budget was a bit higher, I'd recommend the ENGL Blackmore.

I just saw an Engl Blackmore go on ebay for like $950. That's why I recommended it.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Wow Ibz_bucket you've have been a lot of help,how are the mesa dual rectifiers and mesa stilettos tho?
Quote by ObliviousEnd
Wow Ibz_bucket you've have been a lot of help,how are the mesa dual rectifiers and mesa stilettos tho?

I liked the Dual Rectifier that I tried out, but found it sort of loose sounding. Although possible to dial in a good metal tone, you'd be cutting a lot of bass. Those amps are very tricky to dial in, but the key is to have very little gain. I personally prefer the Mark Series to the Rectifiers. The Stilletto is a great amp, Andy Timmons uses one in conjunction with an Xotic BB Preamp to get one of the sweetest lead tones I've ever heard. I've never heard/played it in a metal context, but for lead tones, that's an awesome amp.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that the Peavey JSX and Carvin X3 are your best bets.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30