Page 1 of 2
Right now I am at Drop F because today I accidentally picked up some really heavy strings (the thickest is gauged at .70) and I figured I could go for sweet low ambient music and some heavier **** (The Acacia Strain, Meshuggah, whatever).

So I just sat around trying to find the lowest tuning possible without having my strings flop around or having them sound sound like mud, but not so high that my strings had too much tension and whatnot. I couldn't really find a happy medium so I just settled for the unnecessarily low Drop F.

In terms of a 6 string guitar, what tuning do you think stops sounding low and brutal (or ambient, bluesy, whatever you're playing that fits the tuning), and starts sounding like complete trash.
whenever it starts sounding like trash. pretty simple. at the gates tuned their 6 strings F standard and sounded good
It's all about feel
I don't like anything below B standard, but thats just me. I think that E standard is the "Standard" tuning for a reason.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
I don't go lower than D standard for actual guitar playing.

But the lowest I would ever go for my own amusement is C standard (for playing Dethklok).
I find i cant really write well below A standard (especially when I try writing proggy-ier stuff!) but I dont really think there is a "too low"
rl]
I generally play D Standard/Drop C, but anything lower than Drop A#/C-Standard is just a little overboard.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
anything bellow drop d. it just seems to me like crap, i no alot of metal players that get caught up in trying to tune lower than everyone but its pointless
I played drop E for lols on my 8-string. I keep it in standard tuning though, with a low F#
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Last edited by no.mop at Sep 11, 2009,
Depends on the guitar really. Drop A sounds better on baritones and 7-strings than standard scale, 6-string guitars.
Quote by whitenihilist
I don't go lower than D standard for actual guitar playing.

But the lowest I would ever go for my own amusement is C standard (for playing Dethklok).

This is exactly how i feel. Even down to the dethklok thing.
Check out my band Disturbed
I think Drop A on a 6 string is pretty ridiculous, but if you can make it sound good, who cares what the tuning is?
Quote by Roybordom
I think Drop A on a 6 string is pretty ridiculous, but if you can make it sound good, who cares what the tuning is?

Well how ridiculous do you think Drop F is then? :x
you bought the boomers heavy weights didn't you, i did the same thing a few months ago and now im in love with the strings drop c is nice on them
Quote by TheEmoStrangler
you bought the boomers heavy weights didn't you, i did the same thing a few months ago and now im in love with the strings drop c is nice on them

Yes I did XD

The .70 gauged string was actually a little too big to fit through the tuner on my headstock and I had to brute force it through :x
drop e lol
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
i think drop A is going a little overboard, i like it when metal bands dont use drop c or d, cuz it just seems like everyone uses drop c
as for when IM playing, i dont go past drop b, but i ussualy stay there :P
Quote by tukk04

almost forgot...
thats for you TS/n00b

Quote by timeconsumer09
No, just disregard all the posts in this thread that say that the tone is noticeably worse when it's dying...

i should have read the thread
Until it starts sounding uncompromisable and you can't even tell the notes that are being played.

I have my spare guitar tuned to B standard with 12-56 gauges and it sounds great.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Anything below C standard or Drop B.
Though I do like the tuning Mastodon use on Iron Tusk: AGCFAD.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Anything below drop-db, down an octave. Anything lower then that would be silly.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Well, as soon as it's below audible hearing range it's too low for me.

I play pretty much in E standard, Eb standard, drop D and occasionally drop C, but why limit the realm of musical possibilities.

Karnivool play some crazy half drop B, half E standard tuning. Fantastic music.

Point being, if the music's good, who cares how the guitar is tuned.

Now, off to figure how to tune in fifths.........
After A it's too much. But bands Like At The Gates can go below because they BAMF's.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I was talking about guitars with some guy who lives in my dorm, and his band plays in drop A. I had never heard of tuning down that far. They don't even use seven string guitars, I don't really know how they can do it.

I think that's pretty low. I don't think I would ever play much lower than D standard or drop C, unless I had a seven string.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Quote by innertom
anything bellow drop d. it just seems to me like crap, i no alot of metal players that get caught up in trying to tune lower than everyone but its pointless

It's not pointless, drop B for instance gives you a thump you can't get on your own with any tuning higher. And new standard tuning is just plain awesome, I use new standard dropped down a whole step sometimes and it's great, huge range. There are definitely good uses for lower than standard frequencies on guitar.

If the tuning can't be used in any way that sounds good, then it's too low.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Sep 12, 2009,
Everything that is not lower than G# are nice... Below that they sound too low, specially for bass guitar
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
I think Drop C or Drop B (In Flames soudn great) is the bottom (for me).
Slipknot songs are cool, but sometimes it is just too much *BRRRRRM* and less tone.

I myself tried Drop B and Drop C, pretty cool, much balls and compression and so, but my standard keeps Standard E or Eb.
Depends really, in what context you use them all in. I have a 6 string that has been in a variety of custom tunings, AADFAC, then repeated with a low low D. Erm, C# standard with a low F#, creating unison F#'s.

I love the low notes for ambience, and especially giving depth to chords. When you start using drop tunings with 8 strings etc, you can add some deep root notes to give a whole new feeling to the chord. Hence why i regularly use a low E and D rather than F#, DAEADGBE is a favourite.

There is no limits, i know guys going down to A0 with very good results, on a 6 string. Meshuggah went down to Bb0 (0?) on Spasm.
I play a lot of In Flames kind of stuff. I love how drop A# sounds, but any lower I dont know.

My 7-string is B-standard, I guess thats a little lower, but still standard haha.
Drop G. I heard of it, and never would hear of it again. Unless it's Meshuggah, no-one should be tuning below Drop A.
I think around C standard, an octave down. If you can EQ well, way below that.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
It is completely possible to not tune down more than just one step and still come up with the most brutal music possible, just listen to Hammer Smashed Face by Cannibal Corpse, that is in E standard (or E Flat, one of the two :P) yet still sounds heavy as ****.

however, I think Evisceration Plague by the same band is in umm A Flat Standard? and the intro to that sounds awesome.

For me too low would be Drop D an entire octave down, which is where I believe it would be much harder to create engrossing music as it would all just be so low and heavy that you could have maybe some ambient chords and stuff but that is about it.
Quote by destroy_techno
this girl like said it was all screemz so I like punched her in teh face, serves her right stupid bish, don't fukk with Pantera
One octave down and everything below is too low.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Page 1 of 2