What should I get to amplify my SM-57 microphone? Or should I buy another mic that's supposed to be used for vocals in the first place.

If I should buy another mic, which one?

Or if the SM-57 is fine, then how can I amplify it?
Quote by blue_strat
What gear have you got?

Well, I don't know if you mean in all or just in a vocal perspective, so I'll just say all my gear:

Guitar - BC Rich Trace Warbeast TWBSTO
Guitar Amp - Marshall MG 100HDFX and a Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Guitar Microphone (for recording) - Shure SM-57
Preamp - Line 6 Toneport UX1

So there.

All I want to do is start a little band with me and my little brother, to help him start music early and to have something fun to do.

He wants to do vocals and I'm ofcourse on guitar, we're probably going to be doing Van Halen type stuff if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
57 should be okay. Get a PA for the live setting. For recording on a computer, you would [usually] need an interface.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
You can use the Toneport for vocals too, and the SM57 sounds decent for vocals.

The Toneport should come with Ableton Live Lite - start recording, and if you decide that the SM57 isn't giving what you want, go for a good condenser mic.
Quote by blue_strat
You can use the Toneport for vocals too, and the SM57 sounds decent for vocals.

The Toneport should come with Ableton Live Lite - start recording, and if you decide that the SM57 isn't giving what you want, go for a good condenser mic.

The thing is, we're want to be able to jam in real-time, but the Toneport has latency (delay).

What PA or speaker would you suggest?
Damn, you have a little brother with the same music taste as you? me jeolous.

On topic, SM57 -> Toneport -> Sequencer

I recommend Reaper, great, cheap and easy to learn.

How much latency do you get? 49ms is easy to live with, but you can turn it down i think. Varies from interface to interface. I get 20ms. (1/50 of a secondd)
Last edited by GisleAune at Sep 13, 2009,