Hey guys. I know I don't post in here much but for those that know me I'm usually a pretty helpful guy over in GGnA.

Edit: Single Coils work flawlessly all the time. Volume control works fine. I'm fairly confident the soldering and wiring is OK. The Humbucker just randomly goes in and out.

If anyone feels like helping me - that would be great. It has been cutting in and out for some time now. The other night, it worked so I let it go.

Tonight I go in and I'm not real sure if what I see is correct. I can't tell if the solder joints are good or bad. I guess some of them look kind of shaky. What's weird is the fact that sometimes I get a full 14k showing on the multimeter but usually it is just nill (0) or 1.

I'll include some pictures at this point. I had a 'professional' install my bucker (Duncan TB11) over a year ago. It was an HSS to begin with. One of the wires coming from the bucker is completely bare (no shielding) so I suspect this is part of the problem. (Nevermind, I see on the schematic that the bare wire is normal)

There is also a bare wire connecting bridge Tone control to neck Tone control with that little peach colored diode or whatever that is then soldered to top of that Tone control?

Also, I could have sworn I've never seen this before but there is a ground wire or something coming off the Volume pot to goes to this screw (in addition to the ground to spring claw). Is this normal in Strats? Maybe I missed it before.

At this point I'm not sure what to do or check next.

Thoughts?

Edit 1: Multimeter works. I'm getting roughly 7k resistance on the single coils. I'm fairly novice at soldering and don't want to screw anything up. If anyone knows how to help me trouble shoot the problem with a multimeter, that would be great.

Edit 2: I took the pictures out to make it easier on Jim, but they can be found here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21578956&postcount=12522

Thanks,

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 12, 2009,
TBH, I didn't wait for the pics to load (dial-up).

A worn-out pot will make the guitar cut in and out. Tones won't do this because they are not in series with the signal like a volume pot.

If replacing the pot doesn't work, replace the jack. They also go bad. Due to their design (the back of the sleeve is simply bent into contact with the ground lug's ring), they lose that contact over time from repeated insertion (anyone who makes a joke gets warned for spam).
Ha ha. OK.

Well, you don't really need to see the pics I guess.

The single coils work flawlessly every time. The Humbucker is intermittent but usually dead. Sometimes I can read 14k resistance and sometimes I get 0. On the selector switch I actually pressed down the contact and read the MM at the same time and it didn't affect anything. It was a HSS to begin with so it wasn't heavily modified. I believe it is Phase Switching. CorduroyEW gave me some tips a long time ago what/how to read some values off multimeter but I lost the message.

PS: How do you exist in GBnC on dial up?

j/k

Ah, you didn't mention that.

you may have a break in the humbucker leads themselves. this is easy to fix if you know what you're doing, but it's a delicatre procedure.

If you're feeling trusting, I could do it for you free I love fixing stuff for people.

A dude here let me fix his Pearly Gates and he got it and it worked flawlessly. The wires on it were a mess. I'll find the thread later. Plus anyone in the Jim thread will tell you I'm very trustworthy

If you're not interested, I understand (i know this sounds fishy )

Well good luck, man.

edit:

Here's the thread.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1159357
I know who you are Jim from these boards. Trust in inherent. Plus, some of these guys that post here know who I am: jof, Tackleberry, SomeoneYouKnew, CorduroyEW, etc.

What do you mean 'break in the bucker leads'?

I guess I'm not sure if I want to de-solder the whole thing, send to you, and then resolder it. I'm liable to screw things up real bad. I do have a buddy, Kevin Saale, that might be able to help me as he is not too far away.

If you have time, give me the run down and then I'll make a decision.

I'm going to leave my Strat open overnight but will probably restring tomorrow one way or the other as I don't want to leave it un-strung too long.

I'm sending you a friend invite too.

Edit: Jim - if it helps I'll take down the pictures.
I'm surely not as knowledgeable as Jim, but I'll offer my 2 cents worth since you requested.

For what it's worth, I agree with Jim. It seems to be narrowed down to something going wrong within the humbucker or its leads. My guess is some sort of faulty connection where the lead hooks up to the humbucker.

But, my GB&C knowledge is next to nothing.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
This usually happens for 2 reasons. The most common problem is that when the pickup was installed the soldering iron was either too hot or it was held against the wire for too long. What happens is the insulation around the wires can melt and expose bare wire that can then touch the ground and cause a short. This usually happens under the thick black insulation that surrounds all 5 wires so you cant actually see it. The way to fix it is to cut the wire back and resolder. The other common cause of this is that the tape they use to insulate the solder joints inside the pickup have started to come started to come loose and is exposing one of the joints where the coil is soldered to the lead. This can cause an intermittent short inside the pickup. The way to fix this is to retape the leads inside the pickup.
Not taking any online orders.
Thanks Cordy!

So that is basically what Jim was saying right. Is there anything I can do with my limited abilities to test this?

For example, if I rest the meter leads on the guitar insert tip and jiggle EITHER the master 5 wire black cable coming out of the pup OR the single black wire soldered to the switch the meter stays constant at 14. Wouldn't that number fluctuate as I jiggle the cables?

Or no?

Thanks again!

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
There is also a bare wire connecting bridge Tone control to neck Tone control with that little peach colored diode or whatever that is then soldered to top of that Tone control?
The peach coloured thing is a capacitor. That's what allows those pots to shunt only the higher frequencies to ground,

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'll include some pictures at this point. I had a 'professional' install my bucker (Duncan TB11) over a year ago.
The quotes around 'professional' are well deserved. The soldering is hideous.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Tonight I go in and I'm not real sure if what I see is correct. I can't tell if the solder joints are good or bad. I guess some of them look kind of shaky. What's weird is the fact that sometimes I get a full 14k showing on the multimeter but usually it is just nill (0) or 1.
Assuming you recognize the difference between open circuit (like when your meter leads aren't connected to anything) and low resistance (like when the two leads are touching each other) it seems like you mean to say it's showing low resistance.

How could this happen? Cordz mentioned the possibility of a short because of melted insulation or a wire contacting the frame of the pickup. But I'd also look for the possibility of a solder bridge between the lug where the Black wire connects to the pickup switch and ground. Your pics don't show a good view of that area.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
For example, if I rest the meter leads on the guitar insert tip and jiggle EITHER the master 5 wire black cable coming out of the pup OR the single black wire soldered to the switch the meter stays constant at 14. Wouldn't that number fluctuate as I jiggle the cables?
measuring at the output is a good way to test. just keep the volume control at 10.

If it goes intermittently shorted that will help you find the problem. Apparently this isn't happening right now. Maybe all that physical activity has moved whatever is shorting farther apart.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Sep 12, 2009,
OK. Thanks. Maybe I'll get a better picture up.

Yes, the pup is in circuit. 14k resistance is standard 'output' for this pup. The meter either reads 14 (or something real close to that) or 1. 1 actually being on the far left of display.

The insulation around the 5 wire seems fine to me. The insulation around the single black wire to switch does seem a bit suspect.

Thanks a bunch guys. I guess jiggling the wires doesn't make a difference when we are talking about this stuff.

I'll repost.

Quote by forsaknazrael
I'm fairly certain it would measure fine if you desoldered the leads and measured the pickup's D.C. resistance directly. I'd say it just needs to be resoldered.

And that 1 just means it's not reading a connection.
1 with no digits displayed after it...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Here is how I'm testing the leads:

I guess I didn't notice this before but the master sleeve does seem to have incurred some damage, but it doesn't look like any wire is exposed. This was done maybe 2 years ago, but the problem only occurred starting maybe 6 months ago.

I can't seem to get a good shot of the switch point solder joint but here it is:

Thanks again,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I guess I didn't notice this before but the master sleeve does seem to have incurred some damage, but it doesn't look like any wire is exposed.
having wires exposed is not a problem. but having them touch each other is.

try squeezing on that area while your meter is connected. does the resistance drop? If so, cut back the outer insulation and wrap tape around each wire at that point to prevent any chance of the wires touching together.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
^that's great advice!

I tried squeezing on that area rather forcefully and the meter didn't change.

I guess at this point I have to hope that by me having everything opened up and somewhat separated has caused the problem to go away.

I'll put it all back together and see what happens. If the problem comes back, I'll come back to this thread and try some of the things you guys suggested. If that doesn't work, I'll take Jim up on his offer.

Thanks again Jim, SYK, John, and Cordy!

major
Well, if you decide to take the offer, you don't have to desolder it. Just cut the cable.

All I'll do is replace the entire cable with a new one.

First I'll take the outer tape off the coils (the tape around the individual coils themselves will be intact), then I'll desolder the leads and solder a whole new cable onto the wires coming from each coil, then re-apply the outer tape.

It's a simple but delicate operation. I've done it countless times.
Jim I saw in 'The Jim Thread' that you are taking some time off from UG. I didn't feel it was appropriate to say anything in there as I'm somewhat of an outsider here so I thought I'd bump this instead to say:

Thanks again for your help on my issue.
Thanks again for the offer to help by physically repairing if needed.
I hope things get better for your Uncle.
And we hope to see you back here soon.

It's hard to take a break from UG sometimes but I'm glad to see you have your priorities in order.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I didn't feel it was appropriate to say anything in there as I'm somewhat of an outsider
Nah. You can and you should. So should anyone who would like to wish Jim well during his (hopefully brief) absence. Let your pals in GG&A know it's totally cool to drop a post on that thread for that purpose.

Frequent use of that thread is reserved for the guys who regularly help others in this forum. But a single post for something like this would be completely appropriate.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Thanks SYK

I just popped in there to see what you guys chat about and I think I'll just steer clear

I'll send Jim a PM instead

But seriously thanks again for the help and stopping by to make your comments above. I did make mention of it in the GGnA WTLTL too.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I just popped in there to see what you guys chat about and I think I'll just steer clear
Yeah, really. It wasn't like that the other day. Apparently Ryan and Chris are doing a Cheech and Chong thing, but without the comedy. Between that and Tyler's drama with girls, that thread is not a comfortable place to be right now.

All the best
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Sep 14, 2009,