Im dealing with Guitar center and they willing to give me the Windsor head for 200 bucks

should i buy it?

PS:i only have $300 for head
What music do you play? What are your needs in terms of volume? Can you go used? What sort of cabinet will you be using with this head?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
matters what kind of music u play, if u like classic rock and don't mind too much about your cleans (granted u can get them, bu they won't be "fender cleans" by no means) then its great, it cheap and a "cheap mans" JCM 800
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by Pennderinn
matters what kind of music u play, if u like classic rock and don't mind too much about your cleans (granted u can get them, bu they won't be "fender cleans" by no means) then its great, it cheap and a "cheap mans" JCM 800

I've found that it resembles a JCM800 in a very limited spectrum. Although it has similar classic rock tones, you're not going to get cleans that are as nice (albeit the JCM800's don't have amazing cleans) or metal tones as good as from a real JCM800. Also, look up IbanezPsycho's review of the Windsor. If you can't find it, PM him.

If you don't need the amp for gigs, I'd get a Blackstar HT-5. It sounds much better, and is more versatile, especially with 2 channels.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
It's funny that ibz_bucket brings up the HT-5. I actually just sold a Windsor. The HT-5 is better in every conceivable way except volume. The Windsor does go a hell of a lot louder than an HT-5.

Keep in mind, even if I didn't have an HT-5 I would have sold the Windsor. The pickups in my Ibanez are too hot to let me roll off for a clean tone (at least with the junk Ibanez stock pots) and the Windsor doesn't have enough gain on tap.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
hmmm, ok

Give me some Good reason why Blackstar Is Waaaaaaaaaay better?

better for hard rock than windsor. not too sure about cleans.
Quote by marc0mu
better for hard rock than windsor. not too sure about cleans.

I mean the tone,all the hard rock and metal stiff can solve by having some Pedal
Quote by stykerwolf
I hear with 10 bucks of modding, it gets very close to a JCM800 (not really, but it improves the tone alot)

Could be wrong though

i cant do all the soldering.If i do so,i have to buy another one
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
I mean the tone,all the hard rock and metal stiff can solve by having some Pedal

Pedals usually don't sound as good as an amps natural distortion..
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
i know bout the distortion but im not sure the Blackstar is Good enough to throw out another $100
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
hmmm, ok

Give me some Good reason why Blackstar Is Waaaaaaaaaay better?
You want me to quantify tone with words? Alright...

The Blackstar has a clean channel, for a start. The Windsor can get clean if you're on the low gain input and not using much preamp volume, and of course, if you roll back your guitars volume knob. Of course, with a setup like that you'll definitely need pedals to even get a good rock sound.

Oh, but you're not big on cleans anyway? Alright, the high-gain input on the Windsor. Here's an input that you expect to give you JCM 800 levels of gain but, alas, it isn't to be. You can push the preamp volume (gain) pretty much to wherever you want and get little more than a fizzy mess. Notes lack definition and and the amp doesn't have the kind of presence you'd expect from a 100 watt EL34 monster.

What the Windsor does do well though, is classic rock. It's great for getting Zepp/AC-DC/The Who type tones out of. You won't nail any particular sound with the Windsor but you'll get close enough.

So you've had some time alone with the Windsor, your playlist no longer includes songs which require the abrupt need for cleans nor anything beyond modern alternative rock. You decide to retire the Windsor for a bit and sling the HT-5 up onto the stack.

So the first thing you notice is the lack of knobs in contrast to the Windsor, and inputs. You get one hole to stick your instrument cable into and a pretty basic looking array of controls. Except, that ISF knob. Yeah, push that guy to about 3 o' clock and remove some treble and you've got pretty much the exact sounds produced by the Windsor. Given you can't achieve the same volumes but, your hearing will thank you for that.

Then you swing that ISF knob to about 7 o' clock and discover a nice hard American sound. Edgey and pointy sounding this gives you a great starting point for that metal tone you couldn't get anywhere near to with the Windsor. You can feel your heart going pretty good at this point, you've got the tone, now you just need the drive. Somewhat nervously you reach over and start moving the gain knob clockwise, and, joy! There is actually enough gain on tap to shell out some wicked chuggas. Perhaps not enough for that ultra-saturated tone you get from the most modern of today's metal bands, but certainly enough for a passable cover.

The more time passes the more you notice the HT-5 responding with so much more subtle grace than the Windsor could ever manage. Harmonic overtones come out to play and the dynamics you never knew your picking had make a difference in the sound you get.

Of course you aren't used to playing clean anymore. The Windsor did it so indignantly that you just got used to going without. So, joy of joys when you find that the HT-5 actually has a very nice sounding clean channel. She won't give you sparkly Fender cleans, more a dark British clean, but very nice nonetheless.

Anyways, the HT-5 gives you a taste of what a really well sorted amplifier is all about. It's inexpensive though anything but cheap.

TL;DR?

- I found the Windsor lacking when it came to reproducing the subtleties in my playing (what few there are)
- I found the lack of a real clean sound to be crippling
- I found the lack of absolute gain to be confusing
- I found the HT-5 suffered from none of these issues

Whoa, just previewed this post. No sleep for ages now and I ramble like a mofo... Most of that doesn't even make sense but, weirdly, is how I feel about the Windsor. It's a great attempt by Peavey but they dropped the ball in the pursuit of that low-low price.

Edit: Oh, pedals, yeah; The HT-5 can get along fine without them. I still get the bulk of my sound through the HT-5 and really only use my pedals when I'm practicing quietly.

Tack on the cost of a good od/distortion to the price tag on the Windsor and the HT-5 should look pretty appealing.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Last edited by ch0 at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by ch0
You want me to quantify tone with words? Alright...

The Blackstar has a clean channel, for a start. The Windsor can get clean if you're on the low gain input and not using much preamp volume, and of course, if you roll back your guitars volume knob. Of course, with a setup like that you'll definitely need pedals to even get a good rock sound.

Oh, but you're not big on cleans anyway? Alright, the high-gain input on the Windsor. Here's an input that you expect to give you JCM 800 levels of gain but, alas, it isn't to be. You can push the preamp volume (gain) pretty much to wherever you want and get little more than a fizzy mess. Notes lack definition and and the amp doesn't have the kind of presence you'd expect from a 100 watt EL34 monster.

What the Windsor does do well though, is classic rock. It's great for getting Zepp/AC-DC/The Who type tones out of. You won't nail any particular sound with the Windsor but you'll get close enough.

So you've had some time alone with the Windsor, your playlist no longer includes songs which require the abrupt need for cleans nor anything beyond modern alternative rock. You decide to retire the Windsor for a bit and sling the HT-5 up onto the stack.

So the first thing you notice is the lack of knobs in contrast to the Windsor, and inputs. You get one hole to stick your instrument cable into and a pretty basic looking array of controls. Except, that ISF knob. Yeah, push that guy to about 3 o' clock and remove some treble and you've got pretty much the exact sounds produced by the Windsor. Given you can't achieve the same volumes but, your hearing will thank you for that.

Then you swing that ISF knob to about 7 o' clock and discover a nice hard American sound. Edgey and pointy sounding this gives you a great starting point for that metal tone you couldn't get anywhere near to with the Windsor. You can feel your heart going pretty good at this point, you've got the tone, now you just need the drive. Somewhat nervously you reach over and start moving the gain knob clockwise, and, joy! There is actually enough gain on tap to shell out some wicked chuggas. Perhaps not enough for that ultra-saturated tone you get from the most modern of today's metal bands, but certainly enough for a passable cover.

The more time passes the more you notice the HT-5 responding with so much more subtle grace than the Windsor could ever manage. Harmonic overtones come out to play and the dynamics you never knew your picking had make a difference in the sound you get.

Of course you aren't used to playing clean anymore. The Windsor did it so indignantly that you just got used to going without. So, joy of joys when you find that the HT-5 actually has a very nice sounding clean channel. She won't give you sparkly Fender cleans, more a dark British clean, but very nice nonetheless.

Anyways, the HT-5 gives you a taste of what a really well sorted amplifier is all about. It's inexpensive though anything but cheap.

TL;DR?

- I found the Windsor lacking when it came to reproducing the subtleties in my playing (what few there are)
- I found the lack of a real clean sound to be crippling
- I found the lack of absolute gain to be confusing
- I found the HT-5 suffered from none of these issues

Whoa, just previewed this post. No sleep for ages now and I ramble like a mofo... Most of that doesn't even make sense but, weirdly, is how I feel about the Windsor. It's a great attempt by Peavey but they dropped the ball in the pursuit of that low-low price.

Edit: Oh, pedals, yeah; The HT-5 can get along fine without them. I still get the bulk of my sound through the HT-5 and really only use my pedals when I'm practicing quietly.

Tack on the cost of a good od/distortion to the price tag on the Windsor and the HT-5 should look pretty appealing.

Wow,thank.Great review
i gonna try the blackstar out
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
Wow,thank.Great review
i gonna try the blackstar out
That's all just in my opinion. I think the Windsor is a good amp - I just don't want to own one.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Never played one. Canvased YouTube enough to figure that I wouldn't like it even if I did manage to find one up here in Canada.
Quote by Marty Friedman
i went to guitar center and i check out the blackstar ht-5,burga? v22,peavey valve king 112

and the blackstar some how is not loud enough?????
This amp needs to stop being called a "Classic Rock" amp.

You all must play with way too much gain because this thing gets heavyy.
and it's badass for the price.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
i know,$200 for a new 100w tube head Is Sooooooo badass

unfortunately,i didnt get a chance to try it out
I can't try out a lot of the gear I get because of the town I live in, so I watch a fair amount of youtube videos ranging from different styles of players to see what I'm getting.

All in all for guitar gear $200 is nothing.. and thats a whole lot of amp, it's great too, I would jump on it.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
youtube
i dont trust them cuz of all the recording,mixing and all that stuff change the amp sound
Quote by tr3nt
This amp needs to stop being called a "Classic Rock" amp.

You all must play with way too much gain because this thing gets heavyy.
and it's badass for the price.
I'm confused. I'm supposed to roll off the gain to help me get heavy?
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
I'm confused. I'm supposed to roll off the gain to help me get heavy?

i try it,that head is not for metal and all that stuff