Page 1 of 2
So I've recently quit my job as an apprentice landscaper because my boss is a violent, abusive coke-head. (I've posted about it before). So I've decided to start my own landscaping business and see if I can make some decent money working for myself.

My question involves quoting for jobs. I'm 21, I have long messy hair, all my pants are ripped (not intentionally, working as a landscaper does that) and I only own the one T-shirt (Rolling Stones top). I'm happy with the way I look, it's my style.

But should I be cleaning up my image before I start quoting for jobs? I mean I'm a landscaper, I'm not expected to wear a tux or anything. But would you hire a tradesperson if based on how he presents himself?

EDIT: How presentable would you say? Haircut, collared shirt?
Last edited by GoldenBlues at Sep 11, 2009,
you only own 1 tshirt?
Currently Playing:
Arma 2/3, Dayz, GW2, GTA, Splinter Cell, ESO, FF:X, Pokemon X
You should look like a professional that knows what the hell they're doing.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Now when people say "Congratulations, I heard you just had a baby" you can say "Thanks! It was delicious."

/#1 reason for having a kid.

PSN: YosemiteSam13
Yes most definitely. Clean yourself up a bit. Buy some nice clothes when presenting yourself but just wear whatever to the actual job.

And I do remember that original thread.

EDIT: Here you go kids.... https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1172835&page=2&pp=20
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Sep 11, 2009,
i dunno man, landscaping? like come on.....

Just kidding, we all have to go after jobs we love to do
One shirt?!

**** man! I know HOBOS who own more clothing than you do.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

At least look good for the interview, and buy some more shirts besides.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
wtf how do u have 1 shirt, are you a nudist?
Currently Playing:
Arma 2/3, Dayz, GW2, GTA, Splinter Cell, ESO, FF:X, Pokemon X
Quote by valennic
One shirt?!

**** man! I know HOBOS who own more clothing than you do.

you know hobos?

MC name = Bearrorism
Quote by Gargantuan
you know hobos?

Yes, yes I do.

Its how I learned to play the shoe.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

i'd be clean shaven and trim your hair, at least make it not messy, my hair is about shoulder length, but it's always brushed and washed, never oily. I do sheetrock with my dad when i'm home from college, and you would be surprised how much an image matters to people. They're more likely to give someone who looks clean and presentable a job than someone who has torn and raggedy clothes and looks unclean. No offense meant, just being honest.
yeah, all you need to do is look good for the interview, and once you got the job it shouldn't matter what you wear when you work. In today's society many people have different hairstyles and less people are judgmental about that type of thing. The only thing's i can suggest is wear a "good" shirt and make sure your hair's not dirty and greasy.
Quote by The3818919
That was one of the funniest comments I have read on UG... ever.

yeah, I guess get a suit, just in case

but DONT cut your hair, that just goes against everything us longhairs are working for so that people dont see hair and just generally assume you are messy and stupid andnot worth the hire (even if your hair is clean/in a ponytail or whatever

and your style is just like mine (but can you expand on this 1 shirt thing)
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Well I used to own two shirts. My mum kept trying to buy me more, but I just kept saying, "Why would I need another shirt, what am I the pope?" But I've seemed to have lost my other shirt since moving a few months ago. I still wash my one shirt, and let it dry while I'm sleeping. A friend recently told me I’m like a cartoon character because I’m always wearing the same clothes.
Get a nice collared shirt and some decent pants. I don't think you really need a hair cut, just tie it back so it's not messy and in yr face.

But what do I know?!
Quote by GoldenBlues
But I've seemed to have lost my other shirt since moving a few months ago.

How do you lose a shirt when you've only got two?
Quote by sabbath1313
How do you lose a shirt when you've only got two?

EDIT: OK I'm a bum, I get everyone. But I wasn't making a thread about my shirt.
Last edited by GoldenBlues at Sep 12, 2009,
I wouldnt worry about the pants, but get a few shirts so you dont look like a bum
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
pics?
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Definitely get yourself cleaned up. People might assume due to your relatively young age that you'd be unreliable or incompetent, but if you present yourself as if you're serious about your business and your clients they may place more trust in you than another young landscaper who looks disheveled.
One shirt? A bit of minimalism going on there but I can see how it is. I have heaps of t-shirts but only wear like 6 out.

Image and getting a job are those two things that conflict, go with your style for now (except be presentable on the initial approach) and you can get an idea if your look is a factor in you getting another job (body language). Believe me, I went through it when I had my Claudio Sanchez haircut.

However, after a while you will have to decide whether a job or an image is more important.
Can't stop the spirits when they need you This life is more than just a read thru
Dude, there are people in Uganda with more t-shirts than you.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
http://canadianhometrends.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mike-holmes-of-holmes-on-homes-on-hgtv-225x300.jpg

try this. he looks kind of like a tool (pun lawl) but i would trust this guy to fix and landscape stuff. if you can try a long sleeve too. i know it might get really hot, but suck it up.

edit: better pic

http://www.aaronbaecker.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/mike-holmes-175.jpg

do this.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Last edited by Wesseem at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Dude, there are people in Uganda with more t-shirts than you.

Then why are all the poor african kids always naked in the pictures?
Quote by Wesseem
http://canadianhometrends.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mike-holmes-of-holmes-on-homes-on-hgtv-225x300.jpg

try this. he looks kind of like a tool (pun lawl) but i would trust this guy to fix and landscape stuff. if you can try a long sleeve too. i know it might get really hot, but suck it up.

edit: better pic

http://www.aaronbaecker.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/mike-holmes-175.jpg

do this.

Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
landscape your bush and just walk around naked so someone will see it and think
"hey, that would look nice out by the veranda!"
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Just shave, get a haircut so it looks neater and buy a nice pair of pants and a nice shirt. You don't have to look too flash for that line of work, but you're doing some major things to people yards, so they want someone they can trust. If you look respectable, you're more likely to get more jobs because people are more likely to trust you.
I love that you only have one shirt! But yeah, you should probably get a couple more, to seem, ah presentable. And, you know, bathe/shower/cleanse yourself regularly. You can't exactly afford to be slobbish in our modern image-conscious society.
<<My lyric. Critique, please?

You can't change the world but you can make a dent.
I'm sure whoever you're working for with start wondering when you come to work in the same shirt for FIVE HUNDRED DAYS IN A ROW
I only hire plumbers if they wear full formal dress.

And if they stop halfway through the job to **** me, and leave without finishing the work.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
I only hire plumbers if they wear full formal dress.

And if they stop halfway through the job to **** me, and leave without finishing the work.

rabid has the hots for hairy, balding, fat middle-aged men.

with small peni
Quote by CoreysMonster
rabid has the hots for hairy, balding, fat middle-aged men.

with small peni

Yeah, banging someone less attractive than me makes me feel better about myself.

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I'm sure whoever you're working for with start wondering when you come to work in the same shirt for FIVE HUNDRED DAYS IN A ROW

Nah, I had a couple of fluoro yellow work shirts that I had to return after I left. Some of these responses are funny as f*ck.
Last edited by GoldenBlues at Sep 12, 2009,
lol. get a shirt or 2. not t-shirts. SHIRTS. a couple pants and straight jeans that fit (no skinnys please >.> and act as professional as you do your work.
Quote by ep1kz

i've yet to see somebody overthink something as incredibly as you just have

Page 1 of 2