Hello people

Please bear with me on this as I am new to bass playing.

So 3 months ago in June this guy at my church gave me his old bass that he hasn't played in like a year. He gave me a washburn b-10 bass guitar, and a B-52 Matrix-200 200W 3-Piece Active PA system with one speaker instead of 2.

It's worked fine for 3 months until today when I got home from school I turned the amp on and I didn't hear anything. I turned the master volume on the amp ALL the way up to level 10 and I heard the bass guitar but it was on the same volume that should be heard at level 3. I switched the cables and the same thing happens.

I haven't got a chance to test the bass on other amps/the amp with another bass to troubleshoot it yet but do you guys know what could be wrong?

Thanks bros
First thing that comes to mind is a flat battery. Is your bass active?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Well that was a fast response. What do you mean by active?

Like I said i'm a noob to bass lol
The connections to the jack might be loose
Last edited by XeroDivide at Sep 12, 2009,
Ok I checked and the b10 is active. That means that the pickups (or in your case the preamp) are powered by an on-board power source (usually a 9v battery). I'm guessing that your battery is pretty much flat.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Ah so the battery is dead?

Cause like I said it sounded perfectly fine last night...oh well. Any other advice?
Quote by XeroDivide
The connections to the jack might be loose

Well I do have to wiggle the jack that goes into the bass a bit sometimes or itll be dead silent. It's not the cables though cause I switched em and same thing happens.

I hope it's not that cause i'd have to take it in for repairs which is expensiveeee
Quote by rayshon

Cause like I said it sounded perfectly fine last night...oh well. Any other advice?

Well if you try replacing the battery and it doesn't get any better, come back for more things to try

I doubt it's the jack because I've had problems there and it's either on or off, not on but quieter. If you get me.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

why don't you make like a bass and become inaudible? sorry, Metalocalypse line seemed to be perfect here

On a serious note: that happened to me alot on my first bass, it turned out to be a short in the wiring.
Quote by 2112pk
thank you for stoping this RIDICULOUS argument.
and standing on the side of truth.
but your princess is in another castle
Quote by infinitybass
why don't you make like a bass and become inaudible? sorry, Metalocalypse line seemed to be perfect here

Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by infinitybass

On a serious note: that happened to me alot on my first bass, it turned out to be a short in the wiring.

A short in the wiring? You mean the bass was messed up or the amp or what? How'd you fix it?

Quote by gilly_90
Well if you try replacing the battery and it doesn't get any better, come back for more things to try

I doubt it's the jack because I've had problems there and it's either on or off, not on but quieter. If you get me.

Okay, I'll get one as soon as I can but it's like 1 in the morning now. Lol
Quote by infinitybass
This. It's probably a short in the wiring between your pickups and your pre-amp, which a reasonable guitar tech should re-solder for about $5-10. If you have a soldering iron you could even do it yourself. Guitar wiring is incredibly simple, and usually pretty easy to find the short.

That being said, do a bit of trouble-shooting first. It could very well be a dead battery.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by food1010
This. It's probably a short in the wiring between your pickups and your pre-amp, which a reasonable guitar tech should re-solder for about $5-10. If you have a soldering iron you could even do it yourself. Guitar wiring is incredibly simple, and usually pretty easy to find the short.

That being said, do a bit of trouble-shooting first. It could very well be a dead battery.

Yea I meant between the pickups and preamp.
Quote by 2112pk
thank you for stoping this RIDICULOUS argument.
and standing on the side of truth.
but your princess is in another castle
Quote by rayshon

do you keep the bass plugged in when you're not playing it? that'll drain the battery overnight.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
do you keep the bass plugged in when you're not playing it? that'll drain the battery overnight.

Yeah I figured it out. The battery was dead. For 3 months I've kept it plugged in. LOL

Well now I know better. Thanks for the help everyone!