Hi everyone,

I'm kind of a beginner, and new to floating bridges. I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I've been having with my Ibanez Xiphos (Edge III tremolo). I've had it for a few months, and tuning has never been a big issue. Sometimes the strings got a little screwy and frequently de-tuned but they always settled after leaving the guitar sit overnight (as expected). For the past month or so, I have not been able to change the tuning from this obscure Drop C#. I've spent literally hours messing with the tuning pegs, but the strings all relentlessly resolve almost PERFECTLY to the keys in drop C# no matter WHAT. As a matter of fact, one time I tried just.. tuning every single peg down really really far, just to see what would happen.. I heard each string individually plummet in pitch.. and, again, after they all settled, almost all of the notes were PERFECTLY in drop C#.

I notice that while I turn the tuning pegs, the bridge gets 'picked up' from the back. I know very little about guitar equipment right now, but I would assume the bridge is not supposed to shift for the strings to achieve equilibrium at the new tuning. I could really use some help, the people I've asked are clueless.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Maybe someone in your household is messing with you. Everytime you tune it differently and "leave it overnight", they go and tune it back to C#
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
to change tunings you need to re adjust the springs in the back, otherwise they will keep pulling it to the same tension no matter how you tune the pegs

edit: thisor this should help
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by justinb904
to change tunings you need to re adjust the springs in the back, otherwise they will keep pulling it to the same tension no matter how you tune the pegs

Hmm... I'll try to mess around with that a little.. Thank you
Quote by deseraimp
Hmm... I'll try to mess around with that a little.. Thank you

Don't try messing around with anything. If you don't know what you're doing, take it to a tech, have them show you how to tune it and set it up properly. If you plan on messing around with it, you'll probably just end up messing more things up.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by deseraimp
^ Hopefully sarcastic =|

If your guitar isn't properly plugged into the tuner, or the tuner battery is dead, it will often stick to one note like that.
Quote by Koshman32
Don't try messing around with anything. If you don't know what you're doing, take it to a tech, have them show you how to tune it and set it up properly. If you plan on messing around with it, you'll probably just end up messing more things up.

he's right, if you don't know what you're doing you will most likely do more harm than good

take it to a shop and get someone to teach you or carefully study the instructions in the thread i linked above
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Thanks for all your help, guys

The only thing that baffles me is how this problem has only existed in the past month or so. Before that, I could easily change it to any tuning without any complications. *shrug*

Justinb, i'm gonna check out that link and see what I can do. Thank you!
Haha well I just spent another half hour messing with the springs, the tremolo, the pegs, and it looks like it truly doesn't matter what I do. The lowest string refuses to stay up at E no matter what, and the rest of the strings just follow. By the way, to rule out the 'tuner' suggestion, thank you anyway but I'm not using a tuner. I'm only trying to roughly tune it to E standard, which I can do by ear. (I'm new to Guitar, but not to music =P)

Buhh..I guess I should take it in to get checked, I just don't understand why this problem is only happening RECENTLY and not since the beginning.
if you're not using a tuner, how do you know that it's tuning back to C#? Maybe your ear is off

edit: try new batteries
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I put in "D" as a constant in my music notation software, so I could have a standard to set the first note. Once everything settles, it is consistently one semitone below that D.

Trust me, it has nothing to do with my ear.
Just take it in and get a proper set-up done
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2