Ive got a 50 watt Peavey Classic VT that I've been using lately and it an ok amp. It's much louder than my fender 15 watt SS amp. I loaned my fender out to a friend, and now I use my Peavey for recording. normally, I'd hook my amp's headphone jack into the mic port on my pc, but this amp has no mic port. It does have an extra output on the back that is 4 ohms, but I imagine I'd need a phantom load so it didn't kill the amp.

How do I wire up a phantom load?

Also, if I leave the speakers plugged into the 8 ohm jack, will that work as a load?
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987
You really like input jacks, don't you?

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
I don't think you quite understand the concept of phantom power - it is power supplied to certain types of microphones, usually condenser mics, supplied through usually an audio interface or a mixer. This has nothing to do with what you're trying to do...

You CANNOT use a speaker output and plug it into your computer, it's way too much power. In fact, you're idea of going headphone out > mic in isn't a great idea to begin with, it'd sound absolutely terrible.

For recording if you have a low budget, I'd recommend using a guitar interface of some sort and download Revalver or something.
Quote by BGSM
I don't think you quite understand the concept of phantom power - it is power supplied to certain types of microphones, usually condenser mics, supplied through usually an audio interface or a mixer. This has nothing to do with what you're trying to do...

You CANNOT use a speaker output and plug it into your computer, it's way too much power. In fact, you're idea of going headphone out > mic in isn't a great idea to begin with, it'd sound absolutely terrible.

For recording if you have a low budget, I'd recommend using a guitar interface of some sort and download Revalver or something.

Obviously you do not understand anything about amps or audio equipment. I'm not talking about Phantom power. I'm talking about a phantom load. As in, the load the speakers put on the amp. If your speakers aren't connected to your amp, there's no resistance(load) and your amp goes all wicked witch-of-the-west on you(meltdown).
The idea is to make a box that will plug in between my amp and my pc to provide the right amount of load for the amp, while also lowering the power so that it is an exceptable amount for my pc. A normal headphone jack on an amp is built to supply enough power for the headphones, it's not nearly as powerful as a speaker out jack.
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Obviously you do not understand anything about amps or audio equipment. I'm not talking about Phantom power. I'm talking about a phantom load. As in, the load the speakers put on the amp. If your speakers aren't connected to your amp, there's no resistance(load) and your amp goes all wicked witch-of-the-west on you(meltdown).
Yo Shaggy. You confused that guy with your word choice. Normally we use the phrase "dummy load" for what you're describing.

And yes, with a tube amp, it's imperative that you have a dummy load, else arcing would occur in the primary of the output transformer. Expensive failure would result.

Quote by Shaggy Shadric
The idea is to make a box that will plug in between my amp and my pc to provide the right amount of load for the amp, while also lowering the power so that it is an exceptable amount for my pc. A normal headphone jack on an amp is built to supply enough power for the headphones, it's not nearly as powerful as a speaker out jack.
Yeah a box with a dummy load would be a good solution. But it won't come cheap. It would need to dissipate a lot of power, if you turn your amp up. Like 50w. That means heat.

Maybe an L-pad and an 8 or 10 ohm resistor. You can use the L-pad to lower the power (and voltage) that the resistor sees. The resistor would be where you attach a cable to connect to the computer input.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Sm57 + M-audio Fast Track USB

You're gonna wind up either building something that works not as quite well as you wished it would and end up spending the money on a hotplate OR something that works alright but its going to be a one trick pony and kinda expensive.

I'd recommend this route since you'll get a MUCH better sound that a line in.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets

You're gonna wind up either building something that works not as quite well as you wished it would and end up spending the money on a hotplate OR something that works alright but its going to be a one trick pony and kinda expensive.

I'd recommend this route since you'll get a MUCH better sound that a line in.

I already have my amp mic'ed, :,< that's how I've been recording for the past few weeks, but it's annoying to use a mic, because everytime somebody walks thro the hallway, i get "Clunk, Clunk, Clunk, WAMM!! "SON OF A ****!!!"" in my recording >.< (true story...)

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Yo Shaggy. You confused that guy with your word choice. Normally we use the phrase "dummy load" for what you're describing.

Thanx, I'll try to remember that lmao XD

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

And yes, with a tube amp, it's imperative that you have a dummy load, else arcing would occur in the primary of the output transformer. Expensive failure would result.

Yeah a box with a dummy load would be a good solution. But it won't come cheap. It would need to dissipate a lot of power, if you turn your amp up. Like 50w. That means heat.

Maybe an L-pad and an 8 or 10 ohm resistor. You can use the L-pad to lower the power (and voltage) that the resistor sees. The resistor would be where you attach a cable to connect to the computer input.

Thanx :]
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Well... for 30 dollars you can buy a **** load of shipping blankets and cover your amps with them to isolate them completely.

This really works, although it kinda covers your amp so you can't make adjustments, but if you have you're tone how you like it; its not a bad method. Because really, there's something a line out lacks that a cab + mic setup has.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Well... for 30 dollars you can buy a **** load of shipping blankets and cover your amps with them to isolate them completely.
so horribly wrong.
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Iit's annoying to use a mic, because everytime somebody walks thro the hallway, i get "Clunk, Clunk, Clunk, WAMM!!
That "WAMM!!" is someone closing a door. Those vibrations come through the floor as much as through the air. You won't stop that with shipping blankets.

And when you cover this TUBE amp (Peavey Classic VT has 6L6 outputs) with blankets, you'll be asking for expensive trouble by stopping proper ventilation.

Without a proper sound booth with adequate air space to facilitate cooling, a dummy load / direct-in will be a more reasonable approach.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Sorry, I misunderstood the term and I usually hear it refered to as a dummy load which funnily enough I don't know too much about - but I do know quite a bit about amps and audio equipment. Being in Australia I don't hear your Yankee words.

The box you're trying to make will be expensive, I still stand by my statement that you could spend a little bit of money and buy a USB guitar interface, even a Behringer one and use Peavey Revalver or something. Guitar amp modelling used to be frowned upon, but it's gaining ground recently and can sometimes sound better than a mic'd amp. The best thing about it is you can recall your settings, store sound presets, etc...
Ted Weber's MASS attenuators also have a "line out" function on them. Could be useful.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
I already have my amp mic'ed, :,< that's how I've been recording for the past few weeks, but it's annoying to use a mic, because everytime somebody walks thro the hallway, i get "Clunk, Clunk, Clunk, WAMM!! "SON OF A ****!!!"" in my recording >.< (true story...)

Thanx, I'll try to remember that lmao XD

Thanx :]

This is just an unwanted fact of home recording. It sucks, but micing your amp is still the best solution if its tube. Would you rather blow up your computer or set something on fire while recording, or deal with the occasional background noise? But that SM57 to usb port is a great idea, I wish I could do that, but I still get pertty good results with at crappy usb voice mic.
Quote by ethan_hanus
This is just an unwanted fact of home recording.
Unless you go direct in. Then there is no extraneous noise from people in the house.

Quote by ethan_hanus
It sucks, but micing your amp is still the best solution if its tube.
If you're willing to have your recordings spoiled by noises in the house.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Would you rather blow up your computer or set something on fire while recording, or deal with the occasional background noise?
How about neither, by using proper attenuation. How about that choice, genius?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Unless you go direct in. Then there is no extraneous noise from people in the house.

If you're willing to have your recordings spoiled by noises in the house.

How about neither, by using proper attenuation. How about that choice, genius?

I was just reccomending what most people on UG do, which is mic their amp, its cheap and sound relativily decent. Most professional studios mic amps, so dont get all pissy. I'ed rather for him to play it safe then to screw up and catch his house on fire.
Quote by BGSM
^ He was just being helpful, settle down...
The guy who went off on TS cuz he couldn't figure out he was talking about a dummy load is telling me to "calm down".

Quote by ethan_hanus
I was just reccomending what most people on UG do, which is mic their amp, its cheap and sound relativily decent. Most professional studios mic amps, so dont get all pissy. I'ed rather for him to play it safe then to screw up and catch his house on fire.
There are obviously other choices. Just because he doesn't mic his amp it will not cause his house to burn down. At least not if he does it properly. Some people are capable of doing things...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Have you forgotten to take your mood pills SYK? I'm used to seeing you being helpful and pleasant at the same time...
Quote by BGSM
Have you forgotten to take your mood pills SYK? I'm used to seeing you being helpful and pleasant at the same time...
C'mon bro, I'm not a saint.
When TS says it's too noisy in his environment to use a mic and a guy tells him "use a mic or you're gonna burn your house down", I'm gonna call that bad advice.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Fair enough. I still think it's a good idea to use a cheap guitar > usb interface using modelling software or something for home recording though
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
The guy who went off on TS cuz he couldn't figure out he was talking about a dummy load is telling me to "calm down".

There are obviously other choices. Just because he doesn't mic his amp it will not cause his house to burn down. At least not if he does it properly. Some people are capable of doing things...

lol, some people, not saying TS isnet capable of doing this, but sometimes even the pros make mistakes. I'm just'a sayen.
Hey. At least my shipping blanket idea works.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
buy a used toneport or m-audio fasttrack. Those go for under $50 used (as low as 420 sometimes) and work perfectly for recording applications.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack