ive never been much of a "Pedal Guy". i prefer to just use the old fashioned way of :Guitar>cable>amp. its what ive been used to, but ive only been playing for like a year and 5-6 months. so anyways. right now i can trade my bass for a couple pedals. so i was wondering what are some pedals that are good for the beggining pedalists?

i use a carvin dc200 through a peavey bandit 112.and sometimes a mesa boogie dual rectifier and a peavey XXX. so dont tell me i need to get a new amp lol. i mostly play thrash, neo-classical, jazz, blues.

and please explain to me the point of pedals.

i feel like an idiot asking these questions but im very curious. i just see pedals as a way of just wasting money, cuz i always see stuff like equalizer.OD, pedals etc. sometimes i have no idea what they do. and they have funny names too lol. bad monkey always cracks me up...............
Classical Guitarist
Well to start off, ODs and distortion pedals are helpful if you either need more gain, or sometimes just for a different kind of sound than your amp can provide.

EQ pedals are just like the EQ on your amp.. just with more frequencies to control and give you more options to shape your sound.

Then you have effect pedals - chorus, reverb, phaser, tremolo, delay, pitch shifter, auto wah and so on.

If you aren't sure if you want to invest in pedals, I'd recommend getting a cheap multi effects somewhere around $100 and mess around with all the effects and see what you like.
I have a huge fear if rays.
pedals allow you a way to enhance or modify your sound to give you something you wouldn't be able to get from your amp alone.

generally the pedals you want come from the songs you listen to. If you hear a cool guitar effect in a song, look into what that effect is and check out some pedals.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
hmmm well what pedal would give me some really good crunchy gain lol?
i dont know how to explain it. ummm i want power behind the gain and my chords. whats good for that?
Classical Guitarist
here is a basic description of some

chorus- makes it sound like more than one guitar is being played
delay- makes a copy of the sound and plays it slightly after the original sound, kinda like an echo
reverb- basically an echo
flanger- makes it sound like an airplane taking off

Quote by Zep_shizzle
i dont know how to explain it. ummm i want power behind the gain and my chords. whats good for that?

an over drive will help with that, i also like to put an eq in front of the od with a mid hump and cut bass, this seems to give it a really good tight sound
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by Zep_shizzle

Zvex box of rock?
OCD has a fair amount of gain for an OD.
Visual Sound Open Road is very amp-like in its overdrive and also has more gain on tap than a regular OD.
Pigtronix Polysaturator
EDIT: Dano Transparent OD. very cheap, great reviews, but I think its out of production, no? correct me if im wrong anyone

just to name a few. there's tons more of course.

I always feel as though the one effect that new comers to pedals would have the most fun with and use for is a delay. MXR Carbon Copy? Nova Delay? DL4? just to name a few
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Last edited by Bright Light at Sep 12, 2009,
boss distortions are pretty good. i've got a ds-2 turbo distortion. it's got a good crunchy gain, and is pretty good for heavier metal kind of stuff.
Quote by Bright Light

I always feel as though the one effect that new comers to pedals would have the most fun with and use for is a delay. MXR Carbon Copy? Nova Delay? DL4? just to name a few

delay is always fun, and sounds good with almost anything
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by caleb69
boss distortions are pretty good. i've got a ds-2 turbo distortion. it's got a good crunchy gain, and is pretty good for heavier metal kind of stuff.

the ds-2 unmodified is good for nothing. mode 1 has not enough gain for anything . mode 2 is a mid boost with horrible high . the pedal doesnt respond to your picking .. palm muting sound lifeless ans terile . basically a ds-2 would be good for a average grunge sound .. but nothing beyond that

i keep mine only to have it modified soon ...

a MI audio crunch box kill a ds-2 easily . more natural , better sounding , better response .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim