Another 'recommend me an amp' thread ! I'm probably not going to get one for another couple of months but I'm just wondering on what I should look out for when the time comes. So, here's the dealio:

-I play a BC Rich Mockingbird Special and a Squire Strat through a Dunlop Crybaby and a Blackstar HT-5 DistX distortion pedal into my Vox VR30R (bit of a weird combination, I know). The Vox is a hybrid amp and it's fine but not entirely satisfying. I'm looking for an all-tube COMBO, preferably a 1x12", mainly for transport reasons. It should be powerful enough to keep up with drums and a Mesa Boogie Blue Angel halfstack at band practice (my current amp can do this but it does require some elevation and a bit of cranking) but also suitable for bedroom practice. We do a bit of recording and play a gig every couple of weeks also, but the venues are pretty small (100-200 people). Also something that handles pedals well.

I enjoy a range of bands: Guns N' Roses, Black Crowes, Avenged Sevenfold, Brian Setzer Orchestra, The Clash, Deep Purple, The Mars Volta, Muse, A Perfect Circle etc... and have also started getting into solo guitarists: Wes Montgomery, Jeff Beck, Pat Metheny... but I've been playing for 5 years and am looking for my own tone.

I'll try describe the sound in my head: I want a clear, articulate, quite hi-gain distortion which has a mid/treble punch to it. Cleans are important to, as i do a lot of channel-changing and I'm starting to really get into jazz. My band is probably best described as alt-metal. That's probably really accurate but tis the best i got .

Bare in mind i live in New Zealand so I probably have less of a selection than you guys would have, but give me your suggestions anyway and I'll see what I can find. Not really keen on ordering from overseas cos I'd like to try it out first and I don't want to pay for something that might get smashed to hell in the post. Which brings me to...

Budget- I'm 15 and jobless, but do have 2 or 3 hundred stashed away and birthday and Chinese New Year to look forward to. My dad's real supportive of my musical endeavours and always willing to help me out. So let's say budget of $1000 NZD ~ $700 USD ~ 420 pounds ~ 480 euros.

Apologies for wall of text, thought I would make my first thread worthwhile . Thanks for any suggestions guys!
Seeing as though you are gigging, and your budget is $1000 NZD, a Bugera will be your best bet. Dont ask me what model though, as you seem to play quite a wide variety of music. Try them all and see what one suits you the best.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by Marky_Strummer
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Guitar-amps/auction-240799690.htm
This one? Looks pretty solid and the description sounds good but it might be a bit too powerful. And big. But I'll see if i can find some other models. Cheers for the suggestion

Honestly, there is an endless range of amps that would suit you, but i don't know them.. The 333 will be good enough, the XL is fitted with a noise gate etc.. I think it'd be good, but if you play in a small house/bedroom where people don't want to hear you, pick something else. 120 watts is alot but they do sound good at lower volumes..

I'll wait for some back up
You don't play too much real high gain stuff. I think a Bugera is too high gain for you. Get a Blackheart instead, a Handsome Devil would be great!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Does Bugera have any lower wattage versions? I checked out the V22 and 55 on the website but they seem to be going for more of a vintage tone. Might go to the Bugera thread. Keep those options coming!
Quote by Gabel
You don't play too much real high gain stuff. I think a Bugera is too high gain for you. Get a Blackheart instead, a Handsome Devil would be great!

Hence the 333.. Not as shred type as the 62--

Quote by Marky_Strummer
Does Bugera have any lower wattage versions? I checked out the V22 and 55 on the website but they seem to be going for more of a vintage tone. Might go to the Bugera thread. Keep those options coming!

Not sure about their newer amps, the militia might help tho i don't know if they have tried many..
I know the bands i play aren't really high gain, but that's the sound i'm leaning towards. The Blackheart does look decent, though I'm not sure of the availability of them in Wellington but I'll definitely see what I can find.

As for the Rev Jr, I've seen them around but I'm still reluctant towards amp+cab at the moment
I'm just backing up everyone elses posts, but a Bugera is probably the only decent amp in your price range unless you go used. Even then, with Antipodean prices being what they are, it is still probably your best bet. If you can get a decent cab though, have a look into Bugera's 1990 head. It might be a little over budget all in but may be better.
Quote by ShallowEndings
Hence the 333.. Not as shred type as the 62--

Haven't tried the 333 so...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by greggybhoy
I'm just backing up everyone elses posts, but a Bugera is probably the only decent amp in your price range unless you go used. Even then, with Antipodean prices being what they are, it is still probably your best bet. If you can get a decent cab though, have a look into Bugera's 1990 head. It might be a little over budget all in but may be better.

I have weekly practices at my drummer's house and I'll probably sell my Vox and practice amp for the new one so I want something I can lug between home and practice in the trunk of my car. Like I said before: not keen on stacks
Last edited by Marky_Strummer at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by Marky_Strummer
I have weekly practices at my drummer's house and I'll probably sell my Vox and practice amp for the new one so I want something I can lug between home and practice in the trunk of my car. Like I said before: not keen on amp+cab

Bugera Bugera Bugera Bugera Bugera Bugera Bugera Bugera Bugera

What others were u considering if you haven't already said..
Quote by DiizZ
Seeing as though you are gigging, and your budget is $1000 NZD, a Bugera will be your best bet. Dont ask me what model though, as you seem to play quite a wide variety of music. Try them all and see what one suits you the best.

And just think of all the free time you'll have while you wait for them to international ship you a new one after it catches fire!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by ShallowEndings
Bugera Bugera Bugera Bugera Bugera Bugera Bugera Bugera Bugera

What others were u considering if you haven't already said..

Possibly a Peavey Valveking 112. I know for sure those are available in my city. Not too many ideas apart from that. Oh yeah, can you comment on the reliability of Bugeras? I'm sure they're not as unreliable as everyone makes them out to be
Quote by Marky_Strummer
Possibly a Peavey Valveking 112. I know for sure those are available in my city. Not too many ideas apart from that. Oh yeah, can you comment on the reliability of Bugeras? I'm sure they're not as unreliable as everyone makes them out to be

January last year i would be strongly against them, BUT bugera realised they need to stand up for themselves and started improving quality.. Its like the MG battle, one person says oh my amp sucks don't buy it.. Than it spreads. The problems have been addressed, but like every amp you will find a **** one..

Your valveking wouldn't be as good as the 333 (well it could be, but ithink you'll like this more).. But try it man.. If not, its still a good amp.. Youtube some stuff for samples.. A wise man said the 6505 is the poor man's mesa. But people are so quick to bash these amps..
Last edited by ShallowEndings at Sep 12, 2009,
Awesome, thanks! I'll seriously consider a Bugera. Still, it's gonna be a while til i buy, so I'm open to more options if you got 'em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Sh3gjwaIg

I wish I could find an A/B of the 333 or 6260 to show you.

Anywho, the jist of it is that the Bugera is fizzy and thin compared to the amp it's copying. It may be cheap, but the tone suffers. Whether or not you care about that is up to you, but consider that along with the dodgy reliability before you purchase one.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Marky_Strummer
Awesome, thanks! I'll seriously consider a Bugera. Still, it's gonna be a while til i buy, so I'm open to more options if you got 'em

Yeah dude look around for something else, but for the price you can't beat that.. Well you could but for the tone and stuff you can produce.. All the amps i like are way over my budget anyways.. Like 2500+ so mine aren't any use..

How much is the valveking?? I've heard of people using OD's infront.. Don't know if it sounds good though..

Quote by bubb_tubbs

Anywho, the jist of it is that the Bugera is fizzy and thin compared to the amp it's copying. It may be cheap, but the tone suffers. Whether or not you care about that is up to you, but consider that along with the dodgy reliability before you purchase one.

You just won't let bugera live huh?

I don't agree with you though sorry, or your videos.. You can't JUST rely on youtube vids for sounds, hence why i said samples.. Nothing beats trying them tho.. Reliabilty has improved damb you..

But since your playing on extreme difficulty, what would you recommend.
Last edited by ShallowEndings at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by bubb_tubbs

What would you recommend for me then, if not a Bugera? I'm open to some more opinions at this point
Quote by ShallowEndings
Yeah dude look around for something else, but for the price you can't beat that.. Well you could but for the tone and stuff you can produce.. All the amps i like are way over my budget anyways.. Like 2500+ so mine aren't any use..

How much is the valveking?? I've heard of people using OD's infront.. Don't know if it sounds good though..

You just won't let bugera live huh?

I don't agree with you though sorry, and you can't JUST rely on youtube vids for sounds, hence why i said samples.. Nothing beats trying them tho.. Reliabilty has improved damb you..

But since your playing on extreme difficulty, what would you recommend.

I'm not relying on a youtube video, I just posted it as an example.

Don't get me wrong, the amp still sounds good, but it's not as good as even a mediocre plexi reissue. I realize Bugera has improved their construction so there are less breakdowns, but the components are still the cheapest around and can fail. I wouldn't trust one of their transformers at all - a set of Heyboers or Mercury Magnetics cost almost as much as their entire amp does.

As far as recommendations go, I can't really provide any. I owned a VK100 and wouldn't promote the 112 as a choice either, but I'm totally unfamiliar with the NZ market. Offhand, I'd say an AC30/Classic 30 or a JCM 800 combo, if you were able to find an affordable one.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I'm not relying on a youtube video, I just posted it as an example.

Don't get me wrong, the amp still sounds good, but it's not as good as even a mediocre plexi reissue. I realize Bugera has improved their construction so there are less breakdowns, but the components are still the cheapest around and can fail. I wouldn't trust one of their transformers at all - a set of Heyboers or Mercury Magnetics cost almost as much as their entire amp does.

As far as recommendations go, I can't really provide any. I owned a VK100 and wouldn't promote the 112 as a choice either, but I'm totally unfamiliar with the NZ market. Offhand, I'd say an AC30/Classic 30 or a JCM 800 combo, if you were able to find an affordable one.

Tis true i guess.. I still think their amps are pretty good.. Heck i couldn't be bothered spending 3000 on a new amp if i can get good tone for something cheaper.. I've got the money but yeah..

Yeah cheap **** is prone to failure, but that doesn't mean it will **** up.. Even than you get 12 or 24 months warranty so if you don't like it or it stuffs up sell it..
As for amps, most of the things you can get cheap as chips there is like digging for oil here. Expensive and rare to find a good deal..
Yeah, NZ isn't too guitar player-friendly, though there are supposed to be some really nice hand-made boutique amps around. I'll have a chat to my guitar teacher about it too. He's pretty knowledgable in this area and familiar with everywhere guitar-related in town.

So if the Bugera 1960 is supposed to be a copy of the 1959 Marshall Plexi, does anyone know what the 333 is modelled after, if anything?

EDIT: also I think a 120 watt tube amp is a bit too powerful for my needs. Know any decent lower wattage amps or perhaps something with a power attenutator?
Last edited by Marky_Strummer at Sep 13, 2009,
Don't die on me! But if it does, thanks for your help guys. I'm going into town on Friday to do some amp-hunting
i've heard the 333 is trying to copy the peavey JSX or XXX, not sure though.