Do You Respect Artists Who Write there own Songs, as much as ones that don't?

Page 1 of 2
Personally me, I respect artists who write there own music a lot more than ones that don't.

Some pop starts(not all) get songs written for them, then they sing them and they made loads of money, Doesn't seem fair to me that the song writes get no recognition.

What do you think about this matter?
Does anyone know any rock/metal bands that don't write there own material?
Quote by Duffman123
Does anyone know any rock/metal bands that don't write there own material?

The Monkees
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I just don't listen to artists that don't write their own music, that's all.
If they play covers, they should do them well, and not just replay the exact song.
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

I've got more respect for the people who write their own material.

So, therefore, no respect for any disney artist.
DeVillains!
Yeah, but obviously not for their songwriting talent...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Can't write your own music? You don't deserve to sell albums. The end.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I generally don't like artists who don't write their own material no. I usually find the music to be crap compared to selfwritten stuff.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
The injustice of poetry isn't it.

A good poet/songwriter is barely recognised. His message is lost.

A crap lyricist gets all the recognition.

I went to a party last night, and all the music was mainstream pop. I often think, what could've inspired such great lyrics as "Young men, there's a place you can go" and "Ladies let me see you get down low. Heads, Shoulders, knees and toes."

In short, I hate artists who don't write their lyrics or put no thought into it.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
this is a "duh" question...
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by pigeonmafia

So then, Children Of Bodom don't deserve to sell albums, only Alexi does.
Doesn't matter to me. As long as it's not being sold as if the person wrote it themselves when they didn't. No one complains when a band's vocalist doesn't write any of the lyrics and just sings what is written by other members. No different than any pop star.
If the artist does not write their own music, that means they aren't an artist, are they? That means they are a performer.
Quote by Will Swanson
If the artist does not write their own music, that means they aren't an artist, are they? That means they are a performer.

No, because different artists can play other people's music in an artistic, creative, and distinctive way.
The playground of the world
Quote by pigeonmafia

This. How can you call yourself an artist if you can't (don't know how or aren't allowed to) express your art?
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Most jazzers perform loads and loads of standards and, in my opinion, jazz is the best kind of music.

So, no. I generally don't care for music's lyrics. I love poetry a lot but most songwriters write terrible lyrics. And msot of the songs people write are pretty dull - they write songs that are just the same as those written 60 yeras earlier - or not as good as them.

Though obviously there some good songwriters.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Hammerzeit
No. If they don't make themselves then they are not worth my respect.

So you don't respect recital instrumentalists, choirs and orchestras?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Regression

Because Alexi doesn't write every part of their songs? Read interviews with them. Alexi usualy comes in with half a song, or a cool riff. It's rare that he writes the entire song, with all parts, all by himself. Though I think it has happened.
Quote by rabidguitarist

All filthy sell-outs.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by rabidguitarist

That's different. That's covering a song, and they don't pretend otherwise. It's not the same as having someone write your songs, and then selling an album pretending it's all your music when in actual fact your just singing someone else's work
Quote by pigeonmafia
That's different. That's covering a song, and they don't pretend otherwise. It's not the same as having someone write your songs, and then selling an album pretending it's all your music when in actual fact your just singing someone else's work

But they don't pretend. All credit is given in album sleeves, single covers etc. They get paid hefty amounts of royalties for it, too.

I respect all musicians. However, I also respect songs. Songs require two things- a writer, and a performer. Sometimes, one person, or one group, covers both, sometimes not. It doesn't really matter to me. I respect the performance, I respect the songwriting. You can have a great song that's performed sh*t, or a sh*t song that's performed really well.
Quote by rabidguitarist

The question was about artists not performers. Yes they're talented and i respect them but i took the question as being about bands and artists as supposed to those guys.
Most of the music I listen to is written by the artist who performs it, unless it's a cover. I can't think of any music that was written by someone else for the artist.

Also, the artists (that I listen to) that do covers have plenty of their own songs.
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
I think if they perform it well they deserve some credit, but yeah of course I respect those who write their own stuff more.

this
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
I think if they perform it well they deserve some credit, but yeah of course I respect those who write their own stuff more.

Good job killing the thread right as it starts BTW that was not sarcastic.
Elvis Presley didn't write a single song (or maybe he did, but none were good enough to put on albums), but he was a true performer. He took a song and by the time he was done with it, it was an Elvis song. In his own way, he arranged the song and made it his own. Brilliant example of a performer who didn't write his own stuff.
Quote by Ylasto
I've got more respect for the people who write their own material.

So, therefore, no respect for any disney artist.

took the words right out of my mouth, good sir

anyway, music is an art form. and i think that when you don't have a hand in writing the music, and therefore no hand in the artistic expression, you're pretty much just a medium for others' artistic expression and don't deserve the title "Artist" or as much credit as those who do write their own material
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Last edited by lespaul1216 at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by lespaul1216
took the words right out of my mouth, good sir

anyway, music is an art form. and i think that when you don't have a hand in writing the music, and therefore no hand in the artistic expression, you're pretty much just a medium for others' artistic expression and don't deserve the title "Artist" or as much credit as those who do write their own material

but surely in performing the piece of music you have a hand in the artistic expression?
Well someone still writes the music, it doesn't just come out of a machine, so the music retains the same levels of respect. I think you have to make the distinction between songwriters and performers sometimes though.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
but surely in performing the piece of music you have a hand in the artistic expression?

Quote by lespaul1216
you're pretty much just a medium for others' artistic expression

read the next sentence, buddy
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by Regression

So you're saying that Alexi writes every piece of music for the band? Not just the lyrics and his own riffs?

Think before you comment.
Page 1 of 2