How do I figure out the chords of a song by listening to the lead parts of that song? For example, a song like Cooley's Reel. I know that the key is E minor (correct me if i'm wrong, please), and I know many positions on the guitar to play within the E minor scale. Now, how would I use the lead parts to find out the chords?
use the scale the lead is based on and use chords that fit.

So, if the lead is in Em, use Gm, Bm and Am for example. Do variations too, you could have Em7 to a regualr Gm up to Gm9. Don't forget you can use suspended chords too, as these are neither major nor minor.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
It's tricky to be honest, a far better option is to listen to the bassline if you're struggling to hear the chords.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you know the melody, figuring out the harmony shouldn't be too hard. The melody is almost always harmonized with either the tonic, third or fifth of a chord. Exceptions will almost only be encountered in jazz.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
@Steven Seagull: There is no bass line in the song
@MacMan2001: Thanks. You picked the root, 3rd, 4th, and 5th? Why did you omit the 2nd?
@7even: Thanks

The song I want to figure out is in F# harmonic minor, and C# natural minor (it's not Cooley's Reel). How would I find out the chords based on this?
Last edited by robinlint at Sep 12, 2009,
The note that falls on the first beat of the measure is most important in that measure, so begin to look there first. Often the root or fifth will be used on the first beat early on in a phrase because these have the "strongest" sounds. This by no means always true though.