Page 1 of 4
I've been 'inspired' I guess you could say by the Gibson Les Paul Acoustic.
After looking at it for a few days, I've decided to build one, but with mainly scrap timber. I don't know how the body is constructed on the gibsons, but I know it's not the same as mine

Specs:
Top Wood: Unknown, does anyone have any idea?
Sides: Meranti (I think)
Back: 7mm Plywood
Neck: Tasmanian Oak
Bridge: Same/ Similar to the LP Acoustics, it looks cool although I'm not fully sure yet on how to do it.
Tuners: Cheap $20 set that looked cool (there's no point in spending $70 on a set of tuners on a guitar made from cheap scrap wood)
Electronics: Piezo, 1x Volume

And the pictures:
Gluing up of the sides -

Sides Glued and rough cut -

Body Wood(suggestions?) -

Family Shot -

Body Rough Cut -
continued...

And routed -

Gluing the sides to the back -

Carve Rebate -

Carve Started-

A bit of sanding and planing (not complete yet) -

And a side view to show the carve at the moment -

All of the parts should be arriving around Thursday which is the last day of term so I should be finishing this one (along side my mini explorer) in the next few weeks.
wheres the acoustic part? o.o

other than that, cool.. but i aint a lespaul fan tbh
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Looks great! Plz post the rest of the process as well.
Borders? I've never seen them. But I heard that they exist in the heads of most people. (Thor Heyerdahl)
Finally a mansized guitar cam! Looking good so far.

What happened to the mini explorer anyway?
Its slowly getting there, I just haven't been posting updates.

Matt, the body is going to be hollow. All the carving and stuff is the top piece, I then have to carve the under side of the top a little bit too. The sides and the back will be coming out of the clamps tomorrow and I'll be able to brace the back and post a few more pics explaining how I'm making the body hollow.

EDIT: Here's a mockup, I'm going to give that fake flamed maple finish a try:
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Sep 12, 2009,
Do some kind of F hole

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
well I was thinking about an f-hole, but for some reason I just love the look of the plain top:

Maybe if someone recommends some cool f-hole shape I'll think about it
Quote by guitarcam123
Maybe if someone recommends some cool f-hole shape I'll think about it
Design your own Mr Lazy...

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
EDIT, the first pic didnt work.

maybe your soundhole should be a cropcircle! that would be cool!

tho maybe not this one, this one is pretty complex, and depending on the size of it, the small holes would be tiny..., hmm imma try make a design...

edit, design kinda made

like this, would be EPIC.

i made that myself in inkscape (same as for guitar templates ect)
and it might be easy to do, with a few size drill bits, and 3 circles (they revolve around 3 circles btw) it should work
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Last edited by metal-matt at Sep 12, 2009,
I think some kind of f-hole is necessary, because fake flamed maple needs something to draw attention away from it, so it's not so easy to see that it's fake. I like metal matt's, but it's kind of complex so you could just simplify it a little. This build should be cool though.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Above soundhole would be EPICCCCCCCCCCCCCc.

My input: do either that or an Ovation style set of holes... pic?

build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
is that one of thoes carbon fibre guitars?
they allways interested me, because i didmt figure carbonfibre would sound good, haha.

tho that being said, carbon fibre is man-made, so i guess it would be posible for scientests to make new tonematerials?!?! that could be cool.

and yes you can mix tree types, but it tales a looonnnnnngg time to grow, so... well yeah.

tho that soundhole would be pretty good.
i could show you how you would drill/sand the crop circle one btw, i might try it tomorow on a scrap bit of wood, just for the lolz.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Lookin' good cam, it's great to see you finally getting your feet wet with some building!
so is it going to be as loud as an acoustic? how were you planing on doing fake flamed maple?
it won't be as loud as an acoustic because the hollow part is not as deep as an acoustic and the top, back and sides are a lot thicker. Which is why it has the piezo, so you can plug it in and play it louder.

Mike (that's your name lumberjack, right?) I've finally decided that I can't just keep all my money and save up for that one guitar, and that I actually have to spend it to build guitars. This one so far is costing $100 and if nothing gets screwed up, I'm hoping it stays that way

Updates and pictures in a few minutes

EDIT:
Got the insides of the sides cut out and glued onto the back, I'm also gluing in a block of tas oak for the neck pocket:

glueing in the bracing:

A few pictures of the finished carve, done with chisels, a plane, a rasp and an orbital sander:

Last edited by guitarcam123 at Sep 12, 2009,
continued:

Side View:

Got a bit of metho on it here, when its wetted it has the golden/ flamey colour:

I'm off now to go and route the back and side to shape and glue the body together.
that carve is lookin curvy
btw how are you wireing the piezo? just one? with or without a pre-amp?
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
I've never wired or even seen a piezo before, but I'm going to do a bit of googling and get some diagrams when that time comes.

And yes, there will be a preamp.
I would like to tell you that you;re carve is lookin' frakin sexy!
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Do the traditional 4-knob LP control section. You have your volume, treb, mid, and bass.
Quote by eXperiment63
Do the traditional 4-knob LP control section. You have your volume, treb, mid, and bass.

i think he said before that it was going to be just a single volume.

btw, if you find a pre-amp in australia, ill be very interested, because i would like to put a piezo in my 8 build when and if i build it

but i would want one with a 3 band EQ, so i would try to use 2 concentric pots, so one would be vol/bass the other would be middle/treble..

or if they are from a diy kit, that would be cool, too
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
I'm going to look up a few diagrams on the net and make my own preamp.

Bass First: I'm hoping to finish it by next weekend. All I have to do now is make the bridge, glue the top on, make the neck and fret it. But I can't do much until I get the parts (truss rod, saddles etc - should be coming this thursday) If I don't finish it this weekend, I've got two full weeks of school holidays to work on it.
^Fairo

most of my holidays will be packing and finishing up jobs before i go study abroad for a bit

So, are you going to put an f hole in?
I'll think about it, I'm not really in favor of the f-hole idea at the moment. I might go draw a few designs on the guitar to see if I like something.
Why don't you try an original sound hole design? Get ideas from existing ones and make it your own.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
A few more pictures:

And an f-hole that I saw on another guitar. I really like it but I feel bad if I use it cause its exactly the same f-hole which is used on Crossley Guitars (an Australian guitar builder)

I might draw it a bit bigger, I'm going to move it up around 1-2cm because it would clash with the sides there.
your arm would cover the hole tho..
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
well it's the same positioning as any other f-hole.

I've now moved it up about 2cm and made it a tad bigger.
so you can build a guitar!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I'm hoping so...

Bandsaw blade broke today (the bandsaw has 3 wheels with a tight radii so the blade after a few hours of cutting decides to snap, next wednesday till I get some more) I also dropped the jigsaw and now its not working.

Luckily I've finished all the cutting parts for now. I can't really cut the neck up yet because I'm waiting on the truss rod and fretboard. But the blades will come the day before that package should come so it's all going fine.
Looking good!

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Page 1 of 4