I've finally managed to try out most of the computer based modelling software available.
I'd thought I'd give out my opinions so anyone wanting to buy some can make a better [well, it depends TBH] choice.

Remember, I'm only testing commercial software yo see which has better tone.
There's plenty of free software which does just that - but you can review taht yourself since it's free.
I'm reviewing stuff you'd have to pay for, and thus can't obtain easily without paying cash for it.

I tryed out; Guitar Rig III, Peavey Revalver Mk.III, Vintage Amp Room, Amplitube 2.0, Amplitube Fender, Amplitube Metal, Amplitube Jimi Hendrix, and Line 6 Gearbox.
Here's what I thought.

Amplitube
I'll going to stick all these guys [Fender, Hendrix, Metal, 2.0] together as they more or less use the same engine.
I have to say that Amplitube Fender has some of the best cleans out of all of the software I've tried. It has much more life to it and doesn't sound flat or fake. I personally would prefer to record a clean Strat with Amplitube Fender then any other software.
All of these guys have a nice crunch, especially the Amplitube Fender when you turn up the volume. The Amplitube Jimi Hendrix has some very nice Hendrix tones, and I was pelasantly surprised with the presets [for his entire discography under The Jimi Hendrix Experience]
And Amplitube Metal has some great metal tones, especially with the wealth of presets. A lot of clarity and a good tone.
The only downfall with all of these is that some effects may start to sound quite digital.

If I had to, I'd rate the Amplitube Fender with a rating of 9/10 for the cleans and 8.5/10 for the crunch. It surprisingly gets very close to a real amp.
The Hendrix program isn't as good with cleans, and sometimes the crunch lacks, but it's still very good.
The Metal program excels at high gain IMO. I really liked it.
Amplitube 2.0 doesn't excel at cleans/crunch like the fender, but it still does a wonderful model of a real tube amp, although it can sound quite digital on occasions.

Vintage Amp Room
Vintage Amp Room is a very simple program. I mean, it only has 3 amps available.
Regardless of that, it does do some very nice tones.
I do feel the cleans lack a bit, but crunch and gain is right up there. More 'open' then other programs, and very realistic - sounds just like a amp in a recording studio. Despite a JCM 800 setting, don't expect to do a heavy metal tone [due to lack of any pedals], but it does do a very nice rock tone.
The lack of any effects or any customising [you just get to adjust the EQ and any other dials on the amp, such as reverb or tremolo] limits potential, but it's all about the tone with this program.

Peavey Revalver Mk.III
This is quite nice.
It's very dynamic to your playing, and really has a sort of crisp tone if dialled in right. If you play metal, this is worth considering. It's also really customisable - you can replace all components of a the amps to create your ideal rig. I like to put KT66s in a 6505.
Cleans are a bit lacking IMO, and it can't do a vintage crunch as well as the above two, but modern crunch and metal is all there. Effects are pretty decent too, but there's not as much as some others.

Guitar Rig III
This has long been my 'go to' for software, and all clips in my profile were recorded with this [however, after testing out everything, this may change].
However, the cleans were just not good. Well, not as good as the others IMO.
And most higher gain settings just didn't sound... right.
The HiWatt [called Hi White in the program] settings for Pink Floyd are my personal favourite, and the effects are modelled quite well.
A lot of effects are available for this, so you can get your preferred delay and reverb.

Line 6 Gearbox
To be honest with you, this just isn't as good. It's not bad, but you can do better IMO. I expected better from Line 6 to be honest. Some good metal tones, but a lot of the time you can better.

Overall, if I had to choose, I'd take the Amplitube as my first choice for all tones.

Here's my recommendations [preferred first, least preferred listed last. If 'or' it means both are on par with each other]
For cleans, Amplitube Fender.
For vintage crunch, Vintage Amp Room or Amplitube Fender/2.0.
For modern crunch, Vintage Amp Room or Peavey Revalver or Amplitube 2.0 and/or Fender.
For Metal, Amplitube Metal or Peavey Revalver, and Guitar Rig III.

Just though I'd post my findings. I know it's not the best review of them all, but I really haven't seen a good review comparing them all. It's open to interpretation, so feel free to chuck out your opinions too, but I think this how everything goes, and so anyone looking to buy one should perhaps check this out.

Heck, feel free to PM me if you're thinking of buying one of these software, and I'll send you comparison sound clips between the software you're interested in buying.

EDIT: Also, try and check out the free software available. IE, https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250&page=1&pp=20
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by marc0mu
Why no Guitar Rig review?

I put Guitar Rig III.
I assume I and II aren't as good. Plus, most people will consider getting GRIII.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Fama
Are you using impulses? If not, check out https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21524724

If you do, still check that thread (I think it has links to the Catharsis IR which rock). Also, try Nick Crowe's 8505 for metal, I love it.

What are impulses?

TBH, I'm just posting what I found out about the big popular software modellers, and how they compare to each other.
All the smaller, and free ones, would need a thread all themselves as there'd be way too many. But, I'lla dd that it's worth checking them out.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by peacemaker898
I prefer GRIII to all of those. Though, I have only tried the demos of the others, and I'm not using Guitar Rig cabs. Instead, I'm using impulses, notably an Orange cab one (by Brohymn).

And I usually do use cleans, so IDK, maybe it's just preference. :P

I used to prefer GRIII, but Amplitube has just become my favourite. It sounds much better IMO.

But, maybe it's because I use the entire program for simulating both amp and cab.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Fama
Are you using impulses? If not, check out https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21524724

If you do, still check that thread (I think it has links to the Catharsis IR which rock). Also, try Nick Crowe's 8505 for metal, I love it.

Wow, impulses are pretty cool. Sound great for the metal settings.

My review of the modelling software still stands even with impulses - I just tried it.
I think Amplitube Fender + Impulses = , but I haven't tried it on my Strat yet.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Sep 12, 2009,
I don't mean to nitpick but I'm pretty certain that VAR has 3 amps (instead of 4). Nice review, anyway. Should be helpful for those who consider buying.

I've got Guitar Rig 3 and that's my go-to modeller for silent practising and demoing. And yep, combine these softwares with some impulses and you'll simply rock harder
Two bands I'm obsessed about : Coheed and Cambria.
Quote by wicked_hobbit
I don't mean to nitpick but I'm pretty certain that VAR has 3 amps (instead of 4). Nice review, anyway. Should be helpful for those who consider buying.

I've got Guitar Rig 3 and that's my go-to modeller for silent practising and demoing. And yep, combine these softwares with some impulses and you'll simply rock harder

Your right, it has 3. Thanks.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
i still dont understand what an impulse is. any help?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
i still dont understand what an impulse is. any help?

Simply put: It's a way of modelling power amps + cabinets. And it sounds way better than what modelling is usually in guitar amp sims.

Longer answer: I'm not sure how they work, but impulses are <1 sec long wave files (recorded with real cabs/power amps/mics), that some programs somehow use to simulate said setups rather accurately. Especially for metal, you can get a LOT better tones with impulses. Check my profile for a (crappy) example clip. http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Fama/music/all/play686057

(you can check the "Vst test" -clip to see how Nick Crowe's 8505 sounds together with Catharsis' impulses and in the mix)
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Last edited by Fama at Sep 12, 2009,
Excellent review and I agree Amplitube Fender is the best amp clean. sim at this time. You will want to check out Le Pou's free amp sims also. They are probably the best overall sims available.