Hey guys, I'm just looking into my options here, basically I have an ENGL Invader as my main rig, but I also still have my Framus Cobra that I've been trying to sell, and at this point it seems no one has money to buy boutique heads used so I'm considering incorporating the Cobra into my live rig. I just have a couple of questions first as I honestly know little to nothing about 2 amp rigs.
1) Suggest me a good AB/Y footswitch, I can't have any loss of tone, or problems when switching from the clean with one amp, to the 3rd channel of my other amp (I've heard the morley has problems here).
2) I'm almost positive my Mesa 4x12 can run in stereo, so is that all I'll need to run both heads in my rig, a stereo cab and an AB/Y switch?
3) This one I'd like opinions from experienced musicians, is there any drawbacks to running two heads? Complications in a live setting? Does anyone suggest going ahead with making a 2 amp rig work? Any other advice/knowledge would be appreciated..

Reasons I'm considering this:
The Invader is perfect on channel 3 for rhythms, like I mean absolutely perfect in my quest for rhythm tone, but I'm on the fence on its 4th channel for my lead channel/solo boost, so I'm considering just EQ'ing the Framus as my lead channel, since I am 100% content with its lead tone, and switching from the ENGL to the Framus for solo's and certain lead parts live.
I understand some people might laugh this off as an overkill rig, but since I already own the cobra and can't get rid of it, why not put it to use?

Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated here, thanks in advance!
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
I don't think it is overkill. If you bought both at the same time though, that might be overkill, but only cause most of us would be jealous . Anyway, I think it is a good idea but I too have no experience with dual head rigs. Wait for IP (IbanezPsycho) to come in, he runs/ran a stereo rig. I don't even know anymore, I lost track.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
hahaha no they were total seperate purchases, got the Framus in a trade for my JSX and an LTD several months ago, then I ran into a used Invader for way too good of a price to pass up, so I picked it up, and here I am.
Thanks for the opinion, hopefully someone will show up with some knowledge to school us on, hahah cheers.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
i can only answer question 1 and 3 since I dont know much about cabs or the ones that MESA makes.

I recently found the perfect A/B/Both box for my rig. Its the one that Taylor makes and its $89(comes to just over $100 with shipping). I use it to run my Taylor T5 into the PA system for acoustic and my Maz 38 for electric/overdrive and what not. There is absolutely no audible tone loss with this thing and its perfectly noiselss. It uses a 9v ONLY to power the LED's on it, not to run the actual ciruit switching itself so its passive. Oh and there is no tone loss while running "both" either. All I get is my amp slightly overdriven and the acoustic guitar coming out of the PA at the same time and its an absolutely great sound. The acoustic seems to account for some bass that I dont use in my amp, it adds a lot of fullness and dynamic.

The switching is instant and seemless whether you're going to A, B, or Both. the switches are sturdy and the case is a solid metal build. It comes shipped with a 9v already in it so theres no need to open the thing up for a long time since I dont think the LED's will kill the 9v anytime soon. Speaking of the LED's thats the coolest part. Unlike most units like this the Taylor one has an extra LED that stays lit when you hit the Both button. this lets you see exactly what channel you're gonna be on when you swtich off "both" again so you're never lost or guessing where your signal is going to be. needless to say, I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a top notch A/B/Both box, the price is worth it and you get what you pay for with any unit of this kind.

now the 3rd question...how difficult it is to run a rig like this is really up to how hard you make it for yourself. You'll be using one amp for rythm and the other for leads...the lead one has to be a bit louder than the rythm one, right? so just keep that in mind when EQing and micing your amps, the levels are gonna be the hardest thing to get right. work on using the A/B/Both box effectively and smoothly in your songs, its easy to forget which channel goes to what amp. maybe use some tape to write on and label the channels on the a/b/both box?

I do a lot of back and forth switching between my amp and the acoustic side of my rig, where the acoustic part of rig is basically what I would consider my "cleans". What I noticed at first is that because of my technique in using the a/b/both box and switching so often and the switching needing to occur quickly sometimes is that it seemed like my overdrve was cut off too abrubtly. Completely my fault, not the box's, there's technique to it.

what I do to add some sustain and smooth "fading out" of my amp's sound is use my MXR carbon copy in the FX loop of the amp set to add a fairly short delay and a long decay which creates a fade out on from my amp even once I've used the A/B/Both box to completely cut the signal off from the amp. clever, right? *sigh* sometimes its tough being the only guitar in a band lol, but creativity is important. this takes some getting used to as well since I dont find much use for delay in my actual sound. so what I have to do is activate my delay just barely a few beats before I plan on cutting the signal from my amp and going to acoustic only.

your situation might not require any of this, but these are just some things I've run into. other than that running a stereo rig is awesome and I recommend to try it.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Bright Light you are way too solid for that post, thanks for the suggestions on the Taylor AB/both switch, definitely going to read up on it and see where I can get one from.
That is definitely clever to use your delay the way you do in your rig, I like that, and would be really into a band live if I noticed how creative their guitarist was. Thanks, have a good one.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
I'm asking for $1500 USD for the Cobra, willing to list on ebay if I must.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by Tensorspencer
Bright Light you are way too solid for that post, thanks for the suggestions on the Taylor AB/both switch, definitely going to read up on it and see where I can get one from.
That is definitely clever to use your delay the way you do in your rig, I like that, and would be really into a band live if I noticed how creative their guitarist was. Thanks, have a good one.

not a problem, I love sharing the details of my rig. you should see some of the sound guys' reactions though when I tell them I need a level check for my amp and for my acoustic and I dont switch guitars to do so lol

the Taylor box can be orderd right from Taylorguitars.com.
just go there and hold your mouse over "store" at the top and click on electronics.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by ticklemeemo
Well, I was looking at the Cobra but I think for that price I'd rather pay for an Uberschall or Sommatone Outlaw.

To each his own, I personally prefer the Cobra to an Uberschall for several reasons that I do not feel like listing, but I've never heard the Outlaw first hand so I can't comment on that.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?