I came across this whilst practicing last night. I found that I could bend and vibrato open string notes by using similar techniques above the nut (where the strings lead to the headstock and tuning bits)

Does anybody else use this and can it do any damage to my guitar?
I use that technique sometimes but be careful because it can break the strings.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
Quote by Torked
I came across this whilst practicing last night. I found that I could bend and vibrato open string notes by using similar techniques above the nut (where the strings lead to the headstock and tuning bits)

Does anybody else use this and can it do any damage to my guitar?

It's unlikely to damage your guitar and there are plenty of people that use it, mainly country players as far as I know, check out Johnny Hiland and John5, they both use it really well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I like to use it when I hammer on and pull off the 2nd and 3rd frets on G string. Pretty snazzy tbh.
.:: Current Setup::.

ESP Ltd Viper 50
Line 6 Spider II 30W
Fender Squire Acoustic Guitar
Encore LP Copy
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Axl B35 Bass Amp

Hadn't realised there were lots of threads on this, I did search though :P I suppose everyone's reaction when they find it out themselves is 'EUREKA!' thanks for the replies, I'll try not to overuse it if it's that bad for my guitar
" whammy without a whammy bar." christ whats next "im 14 not a troll"
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Quote by Torked
Hadn't realised there were lots of threads on this, I did search though :P I suppose everyone's reaction when they find it out themselves is 'EUREKA!' thanks for the replies, I'll try not to overuse it if it's that bad for my guitar

Actually yeah, a lot of people get excited the first time just because it's not something that instantly jumps into your head.

I use it every now and then, but it really is horrible for staying in tune.