Hi

Im looking for a new guitar and an amp, my budget is 1000$ for both. Im very in to heavy metal, especially Metallica. So i need some gear suited for that style

I have been looking at these:

ESP LTD KH-202 - http://www.thomann.de/dk/esp_ltd_kh202bk_egitarre.htm
PEAVEY VYPYR 30 - http://www.thomann.de/dk/peavey_vypyr_30.htm

Im not sure though if i need a 30 watt amp, maybe i could do with the 15 watt version?

Are these items any good, or should i go in another direction?
seems like a decent set up if your into metallica the vypyr is a good amp and i guess the hammet sig would be suited for metallica but make sure you like the feel of it
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
Quote by JaX89dk
i have also been looking on another guitar:

IBANEZ RG370DX-BK - http://www.thomann.de/dk/ibanez_rg370dxbk.htm

It looks alot like the KH-202 - but which is the best buy of the 2 ?

Well they both have their downsides, the KH 202 is a sig which means it's overpriced and people will be saying stuff like "hey, you copied Kirk Hammett's guitar". The Ibanez has ok pickups but a pretty bad trem. You should really get a fixed bridge but out of those two the KH is slightly better.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by falconthefirst
Well they both have their downsides, the KH 202 is a sig which means it's overpriced and people will be saying stuff like "hey, you copied Kirk Hammett's guitar". The Ibanez has ok pickups but a pretty bad trem. You should really get a fixed bridge but out of those two the KH is slightly better.

I think i will get the KH-202 then. About the amp, do i need to buy the 30 watt version, or could i be just as satisfied with the 15 watt ? - its for home use.
I have gotten a truly brutal metal sound out of a Fender practice amp.

All I did was blast the crap out of the thing with a distortion pedal, and near death it sounded pretty ****ing cool, so if you mic that son-of-a-gun and send it through a PA that could be an option - and would leave you more for your guitar, which is far more important, imho.

Crappy guitar + crappy amp = crap.

$800 guitar plus cheap amp = you can make it work, but look to upgrade the amp later.

Or as I said get a small amp of high quality (and Fenders are quality) that you then mic and send through a high watt PA. That is much cheaper than paying $3000 for a pointless full-stack.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
I have gotten a truly brutal metal sound out of a Fender practice amp.

All I did was blast the crap out of the thing with a distortion pedal, and near death it sounded pretty ****ing cool, so if you mic that son-of-a-gun and send it through a PA that could be an option - and would leave you more for your guitar, which is far more important, imho.

Crappy guitar + crappy amp = crap.

$800 guitar plus cheap amp = you can make it work, but look to upgrade the amp later.

Or as I said get a small amp of high quality (and Fenders are quality) that you then mic and send through a high watt PA. That is much cheaper than paying $3000 for a pointless full-stack.

Which guitars would you recommend in the 800$ class ?
When you have $800 you can get a lot of fine guitars, especially used ones.

If you go used, I would look into old Ibanez RG5xx guitars and higher. ( I scored a sweet RG548 last week for only $350)

If you want a new guitar, I recommend the Ibanez RGA42 and RGA32 guitars.
Orange Enthousiast.
if you like metallica.. Get a randall amplifier. Kirk hammet has a signature randall.. just get like a 30 watt RG3 plus or somthing. Also have a look at the esp EC signature metallica has
Quote by JaX89dk
I think i will get the KH-202 then. About the amp, do i need to buy the 30 watt version, or could i be just as satisfied with the 15 watt ? - its for home use.

I wouldn't get either one, or that amp. With $1000, you could get a pretty nice setup. Can you go used for the amp? What I would do is spend $500 on a guitar, and $500 on a used amp. Check out the Peavey Triple XXX, Line 6 Vetta, Bugera 333XL, Bugera 6260, Bugera 6262, and Peavey 6505/5150/6505+/5150 II used. New, I'd go with a Line 6 Spider Valve or B-52 AT112. As you can see, you have much better options when you go used.

In terms of a guitar, I understand the viewpoint that getting a new one is better, and agree. For $500, you can't get too many guitars with good tremolos. The only one that pops to mind is this. It actually has a very good tremolo, and you could easily do metal and many other styles of music with this guitar:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S320-S-Series-Electric-Guitar?sku=512503

Ask yourself though, "Do I really need a tremolo?" If not, you can get some really good guitars for $500. Some are even under $500:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=620738 $350
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGR421EXFM-Electric-Guitar?sku=512459 $450
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGA42FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=502235 $500
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Hellraiser-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=520092 $500
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Omen-Extreme-6-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=529002 $500

I only really saw good Ibanez and Schecter guitars online for metal. The LTD's in your price range are all Agathis bodies, which isn't such a great feature. All the BC Rich guitars in that range are also pretty bad. The Ibanez guitars tend to be more playable and better constructed, but don't have the best stock pickups. They're not horrible, just not the best. Go with the Schecters I mentioned if you just need metal tones, and you like thicker necks. The Ibanez guitars will do metal just as well as the Schecters with a pickup change, but if you use passives, you'll be able to do other genres much better. Ibanez has thinner necks too.

The best advice I can give you is to find an amp you like at Guitar Center, and try out every guitar in your price range. Try out ones above your price range too, just to see what those are like. That'll help you develop an ear for tone. Good luck finding a great rig.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
I wouldn't get either one, or that amp. With $1000, you could get a pretty nice setup. Can you go used for the amp? What I would do is spend $500 on a guitar, and $500 on a used amp. Check out the Peavey Triple XXX, Line 6 Vetta, Bugera 333XL, Bugera 6260, Bugera 6262, and Peavey 6505/5150/6505+/5150 II used. New, I'd go with a Line 6 Spider Valve or B-52 AT112. As you can see, you have much better options when you go used.

In terms of a guitar, I understand the viewpoint that getting a new one is better, and agree. For $500, you can't get too many guitars with good tremolos. The only one that pops to mind is this. It actually has a very good tremolo, and you could easily do metal and many other styles of music with this guitar:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S320-S-Series-Electric-Guitar?sku=512503

Ask yourself though, "Do I really need a tremolo?" If not, you can get some really good guitars for $500. Some are even under $500:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=620738 $350
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGR421EXFM-Electric-Guitar?sku=512459 $450
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGA42FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=502235 $500
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Hellraiser-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=520092 $500
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Omen-Extreme-6-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=529002 $500

I only really saw good Ibanez and Schecter guitars online for metal. The LTD's in your price range are all Agathis bodies, which isn't such a great feature. All the BC Rich guitars in that range are also pretty bad. The Ibanez guitars tend to be more playable and better constructed, but don't have the best stock pickups. They're not horrible, just not the best. Go with the Schecters I mentioned if you just need metal tones, and you like thicker necks. The Ibanez guitars will do metal just as well as the Schecters with a pickup change, but if you use passives, you'll be able to do other genres much better. Ibanez has thinner necks too.

The best advice I can give you is to find an amp you like at Guitar Center, and try out every guitar in your price range. Try out ones above your price range too, just to see what those are like. That'll help you develop an ear for tone. Good luck finding a great rig.

Thanks for your advice. -and the S320 looks sweet, i think im getting it. The only thing about it, that worries me, is that it only have 22 frets - and that might give me a problem when i start playing metallica solo's. - but then again, im far away from reaching that point - and when i do, i might just buy another guitar. About the amps, i see you have listed alot of expensive amps, and i cant really find some used here in Denmark. And this is only a hobby of mine, so i think a 30 watt will do - and that would be the peavey vypyr 30 or the Roland Cube 30 - which is best ? - it really cant be alot bigger than those, because i live in a small apartment.
Quote by JaX89dk
Thanks for your advice. -and the S320 looks sweet, i think im getting it. The only thing about it, that worries me, is that it only have 22 frets - and that might give me a problem when i start playing metallica solo's. - but then again, im far away from reaching that point - and when i do, i might just buy another guitar. About the amps, i see you have listed alot of expensive amps, and i cant really find some used here in Denmark. And this is only a hobby of mine, so i think a 30 watt will do - and that would be the peavey vypyr 30 or the Roland Cube 30 - which is best ? - it really cant be alot bigger than those, because i live in a small apartment.

Oh sorry, I didn't know you were in Denmark. In fact, some of the amps I suggested are unavailable in Europe. I wouldn't worry about the 22 frets issue, most people don't use the 24th fret. I don't even think Metallica uses it that much. Anyways, out of those two amps, the Cube 30 is better in my opinion. If you can get your hands on a Vox Valvetronix amp, those are your best bet in terms of a modeller in that price range.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I will get the Vox VT30 and the Ibanez S320

thank you very much for your help bucket.
Quote by JaX89dk

No problem. Make sure to post pictures of your gear once you get it!

Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by JaX89dk

Keep in mind that you've never actually played a S320, what if you buy it and hate the feel of the neck? Also, dont just get the Vox VT30 because some random person on the internet told you to Is eBay an option? because even if you live in Denmark, if your patient you'll be able to find someone who ships worldwide. Honestly I dont think your going to be happy with the VT30, and you would be better off with a used Bugera or higher end Peavey.
My Rig
Mesa Triple Rectifier Half Stack
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
that set-up should do good. if u really are just playing at home, the 15W will do good, since its a tube/ss hybrid, so 15W will be plenty. the KH-202 i think has passive EMGs, not the actives.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by Travis39
Keep in mind that you've never actually played a S320, what if you buy it and hate the feel of the neck? Also, dont just get the Vox VT30 because some random person on the internet told you to Is eBay an option? because even if you live in Denmark, if your patient you'll be able to find someone who ships worldwide. Honestly I dont think your going to be happy with the VT30, and you would be better off with a used Bugera or higher end Peavey.

No I dont just take his word for it. I have been searching the internet also, and seen it on youtube, read reviews etc. But the thing is, the guitar isnt available in any danish shop. But i buy the stuff through thomann.de which got a 30 day return policy. So if i dont like it, i simply return it

And btw, why should your opinion be more worth than bucket's ? - and i will bet, that a bugera or a higher end peavey will be alot more expensive than the VT30 - keep in mind this is for home use and im not made of money

And it will be much much better than my copy strat and line 6 pod/cheap amp !!
Quote by ibz_bucket

The LTD's in your price range are all Agathis bodies, which isn't such a great feature.

I actually like the tone I get out of my LTD MH-250NT, and I cant wait to hear it when I put the EMGs I ordered into it.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
I actually like the tone I get out of my LTD MH-250NT, and I cant wait to hear it when I put the EMGs I ordered into it.

I'm sure Active EMG's will make that guitar sound a lot better. However, the agathis-bodied guitar that I own has very little note definition. Although it's compared to basswood, the two are miles apart. However, since active pickups make body wood much less a factor, you may get some great tones out of your guitar. I recommended the Ibanez because it's got a better quality body wood, better quality tremolo than any LTD in that price range, and stock pickups that are just as good. I also find Ibanez necks to just be more playable IMO...
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
I'm sure Active EMG's will make that guitar sound a lot better. However, the agathis-bodied guitar that I own has very little note definition. Although it's compared to basswood, the two are miles apart. However, since active pickups make body wood much less a factor, you may get some great tones out of your guitar. I recommended the Ibanez because it's got a better quality body wood, better quality tremolo than any LTD in that price range, and stock pickups that are just as good. I also find Ibanez necks to just be more playable IMO...

I can agree with that, Ibanez necks are very, very fast. Ive actually considered taking a fine grit sand paper to the back of the neck on my LTD just to get rid of the glossiness that can catch my thumb sometimes when playing up and down the neck.

Width wise, Ibanez and ESP have similar necks (Which is good for me, since I dont have the biggest hands). So I will second the RG. Im actually trying to resist the GAS to buy an RGA32 or 42.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212