Hi,
I have just picked up my dads guitar and i wanna learn to play. I am just wanting to know wat are the first things i should learn. I know how to read tablature and know the string notes and yea... any help would be much appreciated .Im on an acoustic if this helps

I have always lovedthe guitar... I am only 15 and i love metallica Guns N roses and anything really along those lines thanks
Guns and Roses and Metallica are mainly Electric Guitar.

I think starting off with an Acoustic is a good idea though .

I learned guitar on my own, and I still am learning.

I started out with the smallest, and easiest songs, like happy birthday, jingle bells, just to get the rhythm down.

I also learned to use my pinky more often, and to play in a stretch of frets.
Learn Hammer ons and Pull offs, although it might be harder to do it on an Acoustic if you're a beginner.

Learn chords.

Here are the basics to Picking strings for Chords/Power Chords.
E--------
B--------
G--------
D-5-4-3
A-5-4-3
E-7-6-5

These are power chords, but strum them downwards only, same goes for Chords,

But later on, when theres consecutive power chords, that are nearly hand breaking to play them all down strummed, you'll have to learn down up down up for power chords.

On single noted strings like.

E--------------
B---------------
G--------------
D--------------
A-------4---5-
E--2-2---2---2

Do Down, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up.
I learned everything down picking, and now I'm cursed with a downpicking disease

There's a lot more you can learn, I'm sure others can offer you help .
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
Quote by whoahesgood

Here are the basics to Picking strings for Chords/Power Chords.
E--------
B--------
G--------
D-5-4-3
A-5-4-3
E-7-6-5

These are power chords, but strum them downwards only, same goes for Chords,

those aren't power chords, power chords are E 5 A-7 D-7 G-x B-x e-x
Hah... that's a hilarious name... 'Power' chords. Hehee.
No but seriously have fun making all sorts of chords. Don't get stuck in the rut of playing power chords. Barre chords are much more fun.

Oh, on that note I'm going to quickly hijack... anyone got tips for playing the barre A shape with just two fingers? I normally use just my index and ring (to make a double-bar) but if I'm playing fast I almost always end up muting the high E (the last joint of my ring finger doesn't bend back enough).
Quote by Vixus
Hah... that's a hilarious name... 'Power' chords. Hehee.
No but seriously have fun making all sorts of chords. Don't get stuck in the rut of playing power chords. Barre chords are much more fun.

Oh, on that note I'm going to quickly hijack... anyone got tips for playing the barre A shape with just two fingers? I normally use just my index and ring (to make a double-bar) but if I'm playing fast I almost always end up muting the high E (the last joint of my ring finger doesn't bend back enough).

Practice slowly and you'll eventually get there, same with any technique.