I saw this video this morning and noticed something. The cable comes out of the jack and then makes a loop up toward the back of the instrument, and from there extends to the amp or preamp or whatever. How does he do that? Is it taped on there or is there some special equipment holding it on there? What is the point? Is it so if the cable gets jerked, it doesn't come out of the jack?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNZru4JG_Uo

By your description it's a wireless set up he has. guitar -> wireless unit attached to strap -> amp.
He loops it over his strap, a lot of people do it. It keeps the plug from getting pulled out if he steps on it, people do it all the time.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I'll be honest, in that video it just looks like he's wrapped it behind his strap like most people do on stage to keep it out of the way...
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Yep, you just put the cable through your strap so that if you accidentally step on it, the jack doesnt come out and everything goes quiet and you look like a dick. That same can also be done on the amp, where you loop the cable around the carry handle so you don't pull it out iff you walk too far. Pretty standard practice.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
By your description it's a wireless set up he has. guitar -> wireless unit attached to strap -> amp.

By my description it's just as I said: His cable comes out the jack and then attaches elsewhere on the guitar, and the video shows the cable extending off stage.
Actually it's the new super-deluxe cordage you can purchase (from me) for a low price of only $4000!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

He put it through between the guitar and strap then he plugged it in, that might be what it is. Thats what i do atleast. Then the cable goes to the amp/preamp/ effects
:stickpoke
Quote by Yngwi3
I'll be honest, in that video it just looks like he's wrapped it behind his strap like most people do on stage to keep it out of the way...

Thanks. I wasn't wearing glasses and the Youtube video isn't clear at all as the MTV video was.
Quote by DeathMagnet666
He put it through between the guitar and strap then he plugged it in, that might be what it is. Thats what i do atleast. Then the cable goes to the amp/preamp/ effects

How about this? Maybe leave a good length of slack between the jack and the strap, and then knot the cable around the strap so if it gets jerked it doesn't come out of the jack but just tightens the knot.

Quote by Chorduroy
By my description it's just as I said: His cable comes out the jack and then attaches elsewhere on the guitar, and the video shows the cable extending off stage.

Ah yeah teaches me to shortcut by not watching vids, the other guys know what they're talking about. So don't listen to people who are sick and tired.
Quote by Chorduroy
How about this? Maybe leave a good length of slack between the jack and the strap, and then knot the cable around the strap so if it gets jerked it doesn't come out of the jack but just tightens the knot.

Don't really want to be trying knots in your cables, a very quick way to knacker them. The weight of the guitar is enough to hold it against the strap anyway, it becomes a pretty tight hold.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Ah yeah teaches me to shortcut by not watching vids, the other guys know what they're talking about. So don't listen to people who are sick and tired.

I don't know what that means but I wasn't trying to be rude. But I thought I was clear in my original question that the guitar is "wired". The video is of a concert from the early 80s, so I would guess the wireless setup wasn't all that common yet.
Quote by Chorduroy
I don't know what that means but I wasn't trying to be rude. But I thought I was clear in my original question that the guitar is "wired". The video is of a concert from the early 80s, so I would guess the wireless setup wasn't all that common yet.

I didn't think you were being rude I was just stating i'm an idiot for not watching the vid.
Quote by crossy uk
Don't really want to be trying knots in your cables, a very quick way to knacker them. The weight of the guitar is enough to hold it against the strap anyway, it becomes a pretty tight hold.

You mean the guitar pressing your bod holds the cable tight enough to prevent its getting yanked out? "Knacker" isn't a word I know.
Quote by Chorduroy
You mean the guitar pressing your bod holds the cable tight enough to prevent its getting yanked out? "Knacker" isn't a word I know.

yer, thats exactly it. Knacker is an english slang, many uses. Knackered=tired, knackers=testicles, knacker=break