Page 1 of 2
I know nothing about bass except my observations. It seems that many bands' bass players aren't using a lot of hand work; only one or two strings are being plucked at a time. Does bass look easier than it really is, or is in easy in actuality? Is bass easy for guitar players? Is bass generally more or less fun to play compared to guitar?
take a flameshield, you'll need it
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Depends on the music you listen to. If you listen to Atheist, for example, the bass is f*cking crazy. Whereas the Cranberries or whatever is pretty easy. Both instruments have aspects that are harder than the other, but bass takes a bit more effort to become good at, in my opinion.
Quote by oh rachelle
Does bass look easier than it really is, or is in easy in actuality?

You should accept that flame shield, you will need it.

I shall you leave you with this wisdom:

"Bass; easier than guitar to play simple stuff, far more difficult to master"
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
You should accept that flame shield, you will need it.

I shall you leave you with this wisdom:

"Bass; easier than guitar to play simple stuff, far more difficult to master"

this.

my guitarist, though better at composing, doesn't know how to lock into a drummer.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by oh rachelle
I know nothing about bass except my observations. It seems that many bands' bass players aren't using a lot of hand work; only one or two strings are being plucked at a time. Does bass look easier than it really is, or is in easy in actuality? Is bass easy for guitar players? Is bass generally more or less fun to play compared to guitar?

Unlike guitar, bass is all about the groove. You can make groove with a single note, or you can rape your fretboard - it is only a matter of taste.
As to answer which instrument is easier or harder: There is no hard or easy instruments, there is only how you play them.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Basically, the problem with your statement is that the bands you listen to probably DO have simpler bass lines that follow guitar, not drums, so it is giving you the exact opposite impression that you would get from a seasoned bassist.

There is no grove
There is no counter-melody

There are these two things in music with an involved bassist.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
If you're playing little 4 chord, root notes, thing. Then bass will probably be easier then guitar, but I personally think that fast bass stuff is harder then fast guitar stuff...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Any instrument is as hard as you make, no one instrument is harder than the other.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
My view on any instrument is

"its as hard or as easy as you make"

In other words its about mindset and determination.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I like Muse.

The guitar just complements the bass.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by alternitivebass
Any instrument is as hard as you make, no one instrument is harder than the other.

This. Ukelele is supposed to be one of the worlds easiest instruments, but I know a guy who can really tear it up on one.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Well you don't need to reach the same level of knowledge on bass as you do on guitar to be in a band. If you want to reach the best of your ability, however, then neither is 'easier'.

Easy is the wrong word to use when talking about playing any instrument.
Quote by alternitivebass

Heres your answer, nigs and niglets.
The bass is an inheritly more difficult instrument due to the larger scale length and because it requires more force to fret a note. That said, I'd say bass is harder

It still depends on what you play for 99% though. playing just root notes is easier, while shredding or playing fast riffs is much, much harder on a bass
Quote by basilbrush
The bass is an inheritly more difficult instrument due to the larger scale length and because it requires more force to fret a note. That said, I'd say bass is harder

It still depends on what you play for 99% though. playing just root notes is easier, while shredding or playing fast riffs is much, much harder on a bass

Shredding on bass?
Fine Purveyors of Paederasty Since 1853
Quote by Sarcophagist
Shredding on bass?

Why are you here?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
This is how i feel it is:

If you know how to pay guitar, I'd be confident in the fact you can also play bass.
If you were to only play bass, then I'd also be confident that playing guitar would be very difficult in comparison to the first option.
Quote by zezikaro
This is how i feel it is:

If you know how to pay guitar, I'd be confident in the fact you can also play bass.
If you were to only play bass, then I'd also be confident that playing guitar would be very difficult in comparison to the first option.

Not hard at all, tho as i do not like pick i use thumb on guitar. And also you forgot that if you play bass you can also play contrabass rather decently.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
I play both. I learned guitar first but bass is my instrument. Guitar is about the playing, bass is a little more about what's behind the playing and why you're playing it in my opinion.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Be warned I am watching this thread. If I find anything remotely aggressive or offensive I will hand out warnings
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Just to add to what I said about how an instrument is as hard as you make it, you must consider music theory does not change. No matter what instrument you have you still follow the same scales, arpeggios, etc. Each instrument only requires different techniques and the difficulties of these techniques are subjective. One may find an artificial harmonic difficult but chords changes may be easy, while someone else may find the exact opposite.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
IMO, the approach is different.

While the guitar is a more obviously noticed instrument as it stands out in a band, the bass requires more sensibility and, as the people who play it know, its really at least as important and difficult as a guitar or any other instrument in a band. You can find that in every guitar oriented record where bass quality is lacking: It sucks!

Sure, the same applies for the opposite, but to really play bass, the guitarist approach of beat+root notes, etc. is easy recognizable, and there's something missing.

Bass players aren't guitarist wannabes, there's an attention to detail, to the groove.... "and the groove is the thing that makes your booty move". Listen to the great bass players and FEEL the difference.

I personally suggest: Stanley Clarke, James Jamerson, Tony Levin, Flea........
Quote by C0_0kie
Not hard at all, tho as i do not like pick i use thumb on guitar. And also you forgot that if you play bass you can also play contrabass rather decently.

Your statement about the contrabass is completely false.
I've been playing the contrabass since my freshman year (Im a junior now) and its the hardest instrument I've ever had to learn. You have to learn new left and right hand techniques that are totally different from electric.
The contrabass is as one of my school's band teachers calls it "A whole different animal" .
Last edited by Pandawithapick at Sep 12, 2009,
It's pretty much all been said but i'll reinforce anyway.

If you plan on just plodding through tabs of relatively simple pieces then yes the bass will probably be quite easy.
However, the bass requires strength, precision, stamina and a firm understanding of rhythm to master.

The creativity of the player also plays a part, if you choose to stay in the area which is "expected" of you, i.e. quiet land.. then you will continue to play simple music.

It's up to you to show your bandmates that the bass IS meant to be heard!
Dont just pummel those roots!
Learn some complex picking and slapping and funk them out.

The Bass and the Guitar are different instruments.
If you look upon the Bass as a "simplified" guitar, then well... You'll end up playing "simplified guitar parts".
Bass is better. Why, you ask? The bass solo. We generally stay in the pocket, between the drums and guitar, so no one really pays too much attention to us. Then, every now and then. BAM. Bass solo. Then people are like HOLLLYYYY SHIIIIIIT. Guitar solos do nothing for people anymore.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Really depends on what song/genre you're playing. In bands like muse and primus the bass is mostly the focal point. But, if you're playing some punk its usually just fast root notes.
Also, bass is harder anyway because of the extra force needed to play and the bigger distance between frets.
I play Bass and Drums, the instruments that are made fun of

"And there shall be a boy of such extrordinary rhythm section power, that he shall smite all 6-stringed elitists that stand before him"- Nostradamus
I agree with what others have said in this thread about ones determination and mindset for the individual instrument. Whenever I play rhythm guitar, I always want to lock in, because that's just where I'm comfortable and how I approach music in general.

So bass for me, it's the bridge between melody and rhythm, drums and guitar, all in one
Baaaaaaazz
Quote by skater dan0
Be warned I am watching this thread. If I find anything remotely aggressive or offensive I will hand out warnings

Isn't condescension from ignorant guitards worse?

I mean, we are all bassists after all. We suck so much we've had to actually sit down and learn theory, and become good at our instrument due to years of patients and practise.
We have to learn to make it sound good without the option of layering distortion pedals and cranking up the gain.
We suck so much we can't even see the genius in the shred bands and their 40 minute fret wanks.

</rant>
Quote by Casketcreep

</rant>

, but sadly true. They are different instruments, a bass IS NOT just a simplified guitar.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I could have sworn this thread got closed yesterday

On topic:
Quote by Casketcreep

I mean, we are all bassists after all. We suck so much we've had to actually sit down and learn theory, and become good at our instrument due to years of patients and practise.
We have to learn to make it sound good without the option of layering distortion pedals and cranking up the gain.
We suck so much we can't even see the genius in the shred bands and their 40 minute fret wanks.

</rant>
That actually is quite true.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Casketcreep

</rant>

Gee. Even though the thread is called Bass v. Guitar I guess comments by people who actually play guitar as well as bass aren't welcome? Why not just call the thread "Bass" then? Or at least say "Guitards" Not Welcome...
This is why I love the bass forum. People here can argue there point without resorting to being offensive or immature

Or at least have the decency to use sarcasm or cynicism in place of being offensive...

Everything I would have said has been said already, but that doesn't mean simple basslines can't be fun, they just require less skill, knowledge and funkiness to play.

Quote by Sewe Dae
Or at least say "Guitards" Not Welcome...

I'm pretty sure there's a rule against guitards linking in from the home page and making off topic posts aswell...
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Last edited by Flaming Bass at Sep 13, 2009,
Quote by Sewe Dae
Gee. Even though the thread is called Bass v. Guitar I guess comments by people who actually play guitar as well as bass aren't welcome? Why not just call the thread "Bass" then? Or at least say "Guitards" Not Welcome...

Many of us, as I do, play both. Therefore, we're quite entitled to weigh the issue up, in the light of knowledge. Guitarists are perfectly welcome to come here, and ask questions which might help them, in their musical journey. Guitards are angling for a Darwin Award.
I'd agree with what's been said so far - any instrument's as easy or hard as you want to make it; bass-ing can be harder, due to the need to lock the melody to the rhythm; bass-ing can be more fun, due to no-one expecting a solo...etc.
It occurs to me that the TS hasn't really listened to bass, in its' context (after all, it can be quite a zen thing - making one note work for you, etc.,), or indeed, a wide variety of music where bass does more than hold the root.
In the end, the fact that this is the Bass forum, might suggest that the regulars here have pinned their colours to this mast. Irrespective of however many other instruments they play.
This thread needs to be closed.
However, I will indulge you with my opinion:
Any instrument is as hard as you make it and there's nothing to stop you shredding on a bass or playing root notes on a guitar, other than your in built preconceptions of what those instruments "should" do. Basically, music is what you make of it, it's an abstract art and the "rules" can change very easily.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
In retrospect I may have came across a bit ignorant.
As most have you will have guessed by now, I hold in alot of resentment towards the steriotypical metal loving guitards, as in my eyes they aren't musicians.

There are a chosen few guitarists that it is my absolute pleasure to make music with, but they are indeed a rare breed.
Quote by Casketcreep
In retrospect I may have came across a bit ignorant.
As most have you will have guessed by now, I hold in alot of resentment towards the steriotypical metal loving guitards, as in my eyes they aren't musicians.

There are a chosen few guitarists that it is my absolute pleasure to make music with, but they are indeed a rare breed.

It's perfectly fine not to like a stereotype, but to refuse that they are musicians? That, in my eyes, isn't a musician's point of view. A musician accepts and respects everyone that writes and/or performs music.
Page 1 of 2