I have an Epihpone Les Paul Standard. I really like it but want it to seem like a better guitar. It feels fine, looks fine, but I want it to sound better. What can pickups do? Also what pickups are good for classic rock? Humbuckers and Single coils are the only type I know and am not really sure the difference.
Thanks
name a few speicifc bands you like and what kind of amp do you haev?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
If you want a better sound, buy a good amp. Pickups don't really do much until you get a good amp.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
If you want a better sound, buy a good amp. Pickups don't really do much until you get a good amp.

exactly why im getting a vox.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
the pickups on the epi are generally quite good IMO and for classic rock i wouldn't of thought they would need replacing, i would suggest either a new amp or lookin at the settings you're using
youll want humbuckers of some kind, or possibly P90s (soapbar pickups), there are only really 3 kinds of pickups, single humbucker, soapbar, P90's are just singles that are alot higher output and slightly bigger, i reckonmend duncan pickups, you wont want EMG's there more for metal and they require batteries, try and find some nice duncan humbuckers, stay away from screaming demons also, there more metal,
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
I have a Peavey Valveking 112. I don't want to upgrade my amp yet until I am ready to get an amazing $2500 amp or something. But mostly Led Zeppelin, Ac Dc, Rush, and other classic rock bands.
Quote by Splagl
I have a Peavey Valveking 112. I don't want to upgrade my amp yet until I am ready to get an amazing $2500 amp or something. But mostly Led Zeppelin, Ac Dc, Rush, and other classic rock bands.

okaaaay so your fine there. look at some seymour duncan pickups. they're versatile. even look at maybe a 490/496 set. they have those in gibsons as stock and theyre pretty nice. IMO.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
You don't need new pickups - any problems with your sound will be because you have a rubbish amp, replacing the amp will solve that issue.

Pickups don't create your tone, they for making a good tone better and are the last thing you should be looking at replacing generally. Amp, pedals and simply learning to use them properly are usually the solution to tone problems.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by Splagl

Ceriatone JTM45 clone will get that AC/DC and Zepp sound. No idea about rush. It would cost you around $800 or so to have it built for you by the company.