Here is a quote:

It is possible but not probable for the use of a power attenuator to result in a blown output transformer or power tubes. The ability to push the amp so hard yet quietly, using an attenuator, encourages pushing the amp past its natural limit, in which case if the amp blows, it would have blown up anyway even when driving an actual cab at that level of output-stage saturation.

Basically, pushing your amp to the limit with an attenuator is no different than pushing your amp to the limit without an attenuator. It’s still being pushed hard which could possibly cause the amp to fail. Just remember to not push your amp to the maximum limit all the time and most importantly always match the resistance/impedance of the attenuator with your amp.

My Questions:

I have a really old 1965 Twin Reverb and a 1987 Laney Aor Pro Tube Lead amp.

I do not want to crank the amps wide open. I would like to run the Twin aound 7 and the Laney around 6 to get a really good drive sound.

Will the Amp Power Attenuator screw up my amps, if I don't run them wide open?

I realize that anything that is running wide open will blow up?

Are these units any good? http://www.tubejuiceattenuators.com/
I've never heard of the attenuators you linked to so I cant speak for them. I've been using a 50 weber mini mass on my Maz 38. No you dont have to run your amps wide open, you can set them to any level you want pretty much. its not a good idea to crank both master and volume/gain/post whatever your amps might call that knob together constantly. usually that doesnt make for the best sound anyway. amps have sweet spots and they usually arent at the MAX setting.

but yeah if you run your amp to the max a lot then your tubes will wear out pretty fast despite the atttenuator and the transformer im not sure about
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
So, If I am running at half volume, or maybe a little hotter, I should be okay?

I am sort of afraid to buy one! I will need a stereo one.
yeah at half volumes you should be just fine, you could probably get away with running them both at 3/4 or a little more without problems.

the weber units are great and highly recommended.

when you get one just be sure to hook it up using only SPEAKER cables, not reuglar instrument cables. and use the shortest speaker cables possible. I get away with using a 1 foot speaker cable from my mini mass to my maz 38 combo, depending on how you set up your amps you'll need longer ones probably

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Last edited by Bright Light at Sep 12, 2009,
My Fender Twin is 4 ohm's. My Laney has a selector switch 4, 8, 0r 16 ohm's. It is set to 8 ohm's now.

If I get a Stereo Attenuator, do both amps have to be set at the same ohm's, or will it not matter if one is at 4 and one is at 8 ohm's?
it doesnt matter if your amps are at different ohms as long as the attenuator has an ohm selection switch on each channel. I cant find a pic of the back of the stereo mass so im not sure if EACH channel has a selectable impedance or if there is only 1 switch with which to set the whole unit. if thats the case then this attenuator is no good for you. I'll keep looking though

EDIT: nevermind, you're good. I just read on their site that both channels are independant and the unit can even be used as 2 seperate attenuators. NAO GO GIT YERSELF A 'TeNuATeR, BOY! YER MUSIC'S TOO DAMNED LOUD!

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Last edited by Bright Light at Sep 12, 2009,