hi everybody

I'm about to exchange the stock pickups in my epiphone goth explorer 1958 and I think I'm going to pop in some emg's. Not that those stock pickups are bad, but they're too noisy and once I lift my hand off of the strings, there's immediately feedback and other unpleasant noises. that's why I think active pickups are going to be the best solution.

so, what kind of emg pickup combination is best suited? I've yet to play a lot, the only combo being the 85/81, which is kind of standard.

Any other suited emg actives? I play mostly metal in the higher gain registers, such as killswitch engage, all that remains, trivium, bullet for my valentine, metallica etc.

thanks in advance
Whichever you choose give the 18v mod a shot. I really enjoyed it. Personally I liked the 81 better in the bridge position then the 85 but thats my personal preference. Go on the EMG site, listen to the clips and go on youtube and watch some videos and decide which sounds best to your ears. Thats the way I would go about it.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Whats your amp? I had always heard EMGs dont sound great through solid states. Didnt believe it. Until i actually played one.
i havent used emgs but i know some metal artists (hetfield, jim root) have the 60 in the neck
I would try the new X's for something different.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by mmkat
hi everybody

I'm about to exchange the stock pickups in my epiphone goth explorer 1958 and I think I'm going to pop in some emg's. Not that those stock pickups are bad, but they're too noisy and once I lift my hand off of the strings, there's immediately feedback and other unpleasant noises. that's why I think active pickups are going to be the best solution.

so, what kind of emg pickup combination is best suited? I've yet to play a lot, the only combo being the 85/81, which is kind of standard.

Any other suited emg actives? I play mostly metal in the higher gain registers, such as killswitch engage, all that remains, trivium, bullet for my valentine, metallica etc.

thanks in advance

That is not the only solution; an ISP Decimator will clean up that noise.

But if you go with EMG's, go with the 81/60 combo. The 60 is great for cleans, while the 81 can get the heaviest of metal.

Either way, you should get the ISP. Actives won't get rid of the noise completely; the ISP will get the job done.

Good luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
EMG-X's are basically regular EMG's with the 18v mod, but better. Better cleans, same clarity, better tone, more versatility, same high gain.

EMG-X's all the way

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by mmkat

Not that those stock pickups are bad, but they're too noisy and once I lift my hand off of the strings, there's immediately feedback and other unpleasant noises.

do you have a grounded outlet? because first i had those same noises and i decided to ground my outlets so i could get a tube amp. the noises dissappeared.

EDIT: also check your cables. makes sure you got some decent ones and not some cheap low quality cable that came with your guitar. If you have done all that and you still have noise you should buy an noisegate
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Last edited by Gryphon999 at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by Gryphon999
do you have a grounded outlet? because first i had those same noises and i decided to ground my outlets so i could get a tube amp. the noises dissappeared.

EDIT: also check your cables. makes sure you got some decent ones and not some cheap low quality cable that came with your guitar. If you have done all that and you still have noise you should buy an noisegate

i havent done anything conserning the outlet, but my cables are pretty good, so i guess it's either the pickups or the wiring.

thanks everybody for the information
What's your amp?

Emg's will sound like crap in a Spider or MG...
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

I don't really get, why people keep recommending the 85, and 60 in the neck, for "tolerable" cleans. For Gods sake, that's why EMG brought up the 89, which is essentially 85 as humbucker, and SA, when split-coiled. Then again, make sure to get the X version.
or blackouts... watch some comparison youtube vids.

i hate emgs but love blackouts ::
Washburn / Boogiestreet guitars boogiebolt 2 w/ blackouts
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
squier bullet w/ebony board
ibanez weeping demon