Hi,
I was looking for a strat pickup replacement and found a website where you can hear the different pickups. The clips are played on the same position. I looked at the Fender CS Fat 50s, 54 and 69. After listening carefully I came to the conclusion that the difference is really small if there is any. Does the pickup really make a 200$ worth difference in tone?
Some pickups are good for certain styles, some are good for certain position, others for certain amps. It just depends on taste really, and what you play. I'm pretty sure you could get better pickups than those fender's for less than $200 too.
The Fender pickups were more of an example to show that I don't see the difference between pickups. If I have stock Highway One (2006 upgrade model) pickups and I install new pickups is it supposed to make a big difference in tone?
No, they wont make a huge difference, but they may tighten up certain areas of your sound, such as bass.
Go and listen to clips on DiMarzio, Bareknuckles and Iron Gear sites (Iron Gear are the fairest as they always compare like for like). All the Fender ones will sound very similar but other brands will let you hear what's possible.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

The Highway One pickups are pretty good, so the difference will be a subtle change in sound rather than an 'improvement'. Pickups are more about fine-tuning a tone you're already happy with to get it as good as possible, though it makes a much bigger difference with cheap pickups.
They can make an improvement, the difference can be subtle or significant, it all depends on what you're going from and going to.
Vintage Vibe Standard strat pickups are amazing. Handwired, very low noise, and amazing tone all for $175 a set.

EDIT: i guess i didn't really answer your question. But yes, if you get good enough pickups, you should be able to hear the difference.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Quote by antoine2055
Hi,
I was looking for a strat pickup replacement and found a website where you can hear the different pickups. The clips are played on the same position. I looked at the Fender CS Fat 50s, 54 and 69. After listening carefully I came to the conclusion that the difference is really small if there is any. Does the pickup really make a 200$ worth difference in tone?

Pickup swaps are not a cost-effective upgrads...they're a luxury, an indulgence. You pay a disproportionate amount of money for what amounts to a very small, subtle change in your tone that is nowhere near as significant as changing your amp or buying a pedal. However, if you've got the money and your ears are picky enough then they're worth it. I've replaced pickups in several guitars and I don't think it's a particulary sensible use of cash, however I had money to burn at the time so I treated myself. Definitely a noticeable improvement, but no, it in no way reflects what it costs to buy them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It depends. Replacing stock mex strat pickups with CS 69's is definitely an upgrade. Changing out American Standard strat pickups for CS 69s would be more like a "change" like other people said. Overall your amp is a lot more important especially if you already have decent pickups.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Alright thanks everyone all of this pushed me to try more my different pickup positions and found out that there is not just the neck pickup in life.