Recently i've been trying to learn as much theory as possible in order to improve myself as a musician. I know most of the basics however every lesson i look at fails to fully explain or misses out chunks of information and im really struggling to get to grips with it.

What I am looking for is a book/website lessons that fully explain preferably in order guitar theory and how to apply it to playing.

Thanks in advance.
Fretboard Logic 1 & 2. Pretty much the Bible for anything guitar/theory related.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
Quote by ninjafingers
Fretboard Logic 1 & 2. Pretty much the Bible for anything guitar/theory related.

Agreed.

Guitar Grimoire doesn't give much in terms of application, for example; it's not for learning, it's for reference.
Fine Purveyors of Paederasty Since 1853
Guitar Theory

theory is the same for every instrument.

anyway, i have recommedations, but they are all in standard notation so i dont know if you want them.

harmony - walter piston (a more classical approach)
jazz theory book - mark levine (more jazz based)
dummies guide to music theory.
idoits guide to music composition.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by WalkinDude91
Fretboard Mastery by Troy Stetina. I wouldn't bother with pretty much anything else.

+20000

also Creative Guitar 1 and 2 by Guthrie Govan
Quote by Myung-trucci
+20000

also Creative Guitar 1 and 2 by Guthrie Govan

Crap, I can't believe I forgot to mention the Govanator's books.
Read

Piston Walters - Harmony

Frederick Horwood - Elementary Counterpoint

Dont read

any thing that has "for dummies" in the header
Quote by Sarcophagist
Agreed.

Guitar Grimoire doesn't give much in terms of application, for example; it's not for learning, it's for reference.

I agree, but Guitar Grimoire is the most complete reference, although it is not really for anyone trying to learn.
Learn how to play the blues before you learn theory. It will make execution of the theory that much easier. Rhythm is the most important part of playing any instrument. Blues is a very basic rhythm with simple theory that can later be complicated and added upon. Any theory teacher will tell you to build a foundation first. Find your own style and build on it.

"It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that swing" Duke Ellington.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
The first rule in analytical music theory is to look at what is there.

BAM.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
The Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick comes highly recommended. You could easily spend 20 years with this book and not exhaust the number of things it suggests you do to improve your theory. That's the good thing about it - it forces you to work out and learn things for yourself, thereby being a far more effective education aid than a book that simply regurgitates information could ever be. It's tough though. Be prepared for some serious work. And remember that without serious work, you will never learn theory to a useful degree.
Idiots Guide to Theory really helped me understand a lot of things I couldn't grasp.

Also, fretboard logic is GREAT as it isn't just a theory book like all the others...it is meant for one instrument...the guitar and the guitar only. Really helped me understand the guitar and its tunning system to better understand how to construct chords and leads.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
harmony and thoery, Hal leonard.

My guitar teacher reccomended it...
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
The everything music theory book is one I picked up, the author is a guitarist so caters to guitarists point of view. Also his explanations are great, he gives it to you in simple and easy ways of understanding.