I was just looking at whammy bars on les pauls. I like a floyd rose but hate how it tunes and everything about them except the cool sounds you can make. And also just standard whammy bars are pretty cool as well. However I was wondering how would you install it? And could you take it off and put it on another guitar as well? So could I buy a tremelo for my les paul and take it off and put it on my sg? And also anyone who has a tremelo on their les paul please comment and say if you like it.
Thanks
stetsbar or bigsby are your only options.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
stetsbar or bigsby are your only options.

Without routing..
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
ESP offers one of their higher end LTD les paul type model with a floyd rose. If you're in the market for a new guitar with a floyd, it'd probably be better to check those out.
Quote by no.mop
Without routing..

well, he wants it to easily swap between a les paul and an SG. the SG is too thin to route any trem besides stetsbars and bigsbys.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Les Paul Axcess

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
Les Paul Axcess

Well done, you know a guitar.

If you read the OP you'd know he was asking for a vibrato system which can be transferred from one guitar to another.

Anyways, TS, i'm not sure how these are rated in the guitarist community but http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp135042/Assembly-Tremolo-_Les-Paul.htm
These would be a very very very very good and quick vibrato replacement with no modifications to the guitars themselves.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Does anyone have a video of how to install a tremelo system on a guitar? I have no idea how to do it and would like to see how it is done before I buy ones.
Thanks
Quote by Splagl
Does anyone have a video of how to install a tremelo system on a guitar? I have no idea how to do it and would like to see how it is done before I buy ones.
Thanks

do not do it yourself.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by Splagl
Thanks

i think it would be easier for you to give birth than to install like a strat trem on a les paul...
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by Splagl
Is it hard to take off and put it on another guitar?

Well, there'd be no point in it really. It would be too much hard work for not that much in return, you may as well just get two tremolos, or leave one with the tune o matic.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Ooh, you get a Les-Trem unit from Stewmac. It just sits on the tailpiece studs, no routing or drilling required. Completely reversible and transferable.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
How do the tremolo systems work exactly? I don't see how it fits on and stuff. Is there maybe a video explaining how it works and stuff?
Unless your only interested in Gibson guitars, there are plenty of other brand named that sell les-paul shaped guitars with FR's and other tremolos. I would recommend a ESP:

http://espguitars.com/guitars_eclipse.html
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
Yeah I just bought an Epiphone Les Paul and love it and don't want to get a new one just yet. Right now I'm just looking at tremolo bars, and if it is a good idea I might get one. I'm just confused how it fits in and what kind of stuff you can make with it.
If you don't know what you can do with one...then why are you asking how to fit one?

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Splagl
Yeah I just bought an Epiphone Les Paul and love it and don't want to get a new one just yet. Right now I'm just looking at tremolo bars, and if it is a good idea I might get one. I'm just confused how it fits in and what kind of stuff you can make with it.

Just get a Stetsbar. It's the only trem that you can put on a Les Paul without having to rout the body if you want Floyd Rose-type range out of it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Chrisiphone
If you don't know what you can do with one...then why are you asking how to fit one?

+1

If you don't know how a floating tremolo works, then I wouldn't even bother with trying to install one onto a guitar. Here is a basic rundown on what you would have to do.

Take off all bridge
Route out area for the new tremolo on the front of guitar
Route out back of guitar for the rest of the system to fit
Route area for locking nut, or just use locking tuners
set up the tremolo
Quote by Ghold125
+1

If you don't know how a floating tremolo works, then I wouldn't even bother with trying to install one onto a guitar. Here is a basic rundown on what you would have to do.

Take off all bridge
Route out area for the new tremolo on the front of guitar
Route out back of guitar for the rest of the system to fit
Route area for locking nut, or just use locking tuners
set up the tremolo

As Ghold said it's a very laborious and costly job to do, as well it being a non reversible job.
Once you do it, it'll have to be that way forever unless you somehow fill in the routing and get it refinished; an even more expensive task.

Just learn to whammy without a whammy.

E-Married to Funny_Page
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Fendertremolopatentsketch.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Floyd_rose_principle.png

That's how a tremolo system works. The bridge is balanced between a spring system and the strings. So you obviously need to rout out the body in order to fit a vintage style or Floyd Rose style trem.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
you would have to cut huge holes into your guitar, and if you don't do it correctly, you are out of a guitar. it is best to buy a guitar with a tremolo already installed.
Thanks Dotsick for the picture. The 2nd one cleared things up. So say I got someone to install a regular tremolo for me could I do divebombs or is that just floyd rose types? What's the difference between the floyd rose tremolos and regular ones like ones on a strat for instance.
Floyd Rose trems are for extreme pitch changes. They're also double locking and they "float". Vintage style trems are for subtle pitch changes, although they can "divebomb", most likely they'll go out of tune since they're not locking.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by DotSick
Floyd Rose trems are for extreme pitch changes. They're also double locking and they "float". Vintage style trems are for subtle pitch changes, although they can "divebomb", most likely they'll go out of tune since they're not locking.

And floating bridges can pull up, which vintage style bridges can't
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
+1 on the Stetsbar recommendation. However, Keep in mind that in order to use it properly once you get it on you have to set up the trem before you set the action and intonation. Oh and OP you might want to know a bit more about guitars before you start modding your instrument. At least learn guitar set up first.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Alright thanks for the advise. I don't think I will end up putting a tremolo system on my guitar. I might down the road but for now I probably won't. Thanks again for all the information.
Thanks
Actually let me rephrase that, You need to know how to set up your guitar. Get a copy of Dan Erlewine's "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!" Book and read it. Once you know how to set up your guitar you'll wonder how you ever played it without having it set up, it will make a fantastic difference.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Putting all routing aside, and forgetting about the brands like ESP and Kramer who have made LP copies with Floyds in (and let's all please forget about the Gibson LP Axcess, which is one of the worst guitars in history), the options are fairly limited.

There's a Bigsby, but they're not really 'transferable' as different types of guitars (carved tops, flat tops etc) often require different models of Bigsby. They also have less vibrato range and typically have the worse tuning stability.

There's the Stetsbar, which is the worst, most god-forsaken piece of hardware I've ever had the misfortune of using. It murders sustain and tone even worse than a Floyd does, doens't hold tune any better than a Bigsby, struggles to have the vibrato range of a Strat bridge at best and it will eat through several high E strings every day, literally. It's simply terrible in every way and should not be considered as an option.

There are the Kahler systems, which are a pain to get hold of and aren't much better than the Stetsbar, only they eat strings slightly less. Some of the models made in the 80's were alright though, you might find one pop up every now and then.

Thomann.de sells the Schaller and GÖLDO LP vibratos, which work like the Stetsbar but without the baseplate. They apparently hold tune better than a Bigsby but barely have any more range; the main upside is apparently they're very easy to set up and neither has any particular problems other than if you adjust them to be quite low they can scratch up the finish of your guitar.

Honestly, if you really need a vibrato on an LP, the ESP or Kramer copies are your best options. Maybe a Bigsby, depending on your style of playing. There's nothing perfect though, and many heavily flawed items.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Putting all routing aside, and forgetting about the brands like ESP and Kramer who have made LP copies with Floyds in (and let's all please forget about the Gibson LP Axcess, which is one of the worst guitars in history), the options are fairly limited.

There's a Bigsby, but they're not really 'transferable' as different types of guitars (carved tops, flat tops etc) often require different models of Bigsby. They also have less vibrato range and typically have the worse tuning stability.

There's the Stetsbar, which is the worst, most god-forsaken piece of hardware I've ever had the misfortune of using. It murders sustain and tone even worse than a Floyd does, doens't hold tune any better than a Bigsby, struggles to have the vibrato range of a Strat bridge at best and it will eat through several high E strings every day, literally. It's simply terrible in every way and should not be considered as an option.

There are the Kahler systems, which are a pain to get hold of and aren't much better than the Stetsbar, only they eat strings slightly less. Some of the models made in the 80's were alright though, you might find one pop up every now and then.

Thomann.de sells the Schaller and GÖLDO LP vibratos, which work like the Stetsbar but without the baseplate. They apparently hold tune better than a Bigsby but barely have any more range; the main upside is apparently they're very easy to set up and neither has any particular problems other than if you adjust them to be quite low they can scratch up the finish of your guitar.

Honestly, if you really need a vibrato on an LP, the ESP or Kramer copies are your best options. Maybe a Bigsby, depending on your style of playing. There's nothing perfect though, and many heavily flawed items.

Yeah that pretty much explains it all. I guess there are no real good tremolo systems for Les Pauls. Thanks for the info.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Just learn to whammy without a whammy.

Like that guy with the KFC box on his head and the chucky mask?

I think they call him Bucketchuck.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Sep 13, 2009,
You can now buy a Gibson Floyd Rose on Ebay! For only $375 !!!
No Routing required at all! There's always at least 1 or 2 for sale there every week!

It will come with a Kahler lock nut so that you don't even have to drill through the headstock!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250499943426&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Just look for Gibson Floyd Rose on Ebay!

Happy Guitaring!
Last edited by LuthierGuy5150 at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by Chrisiphone
Well done, you know a guitar.

If you read the OP you'd know he was asking for a vibrato system which can be transferred from one guitar to another.

Anyways, TS, i'm not sure how these are rated in the guitarist community but http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp135042/Assembly-Tremolo-_Les-Paul.htm
These would be a very very very very good and quick vibrato replacement with no modifications to the guitars themselves.

1. I f*ckin love you
2. Bigsby and other style trems like that are usally used for light vibratos and such and will go out of tune with divebombs.
Quote by MrFlibble

I did have this problem with my Stetsbar (Eating up strings like mad) But I didn't set up the tremolo before setting up the guitar. If you don't adjust the screws to hold the tension then the strings will hold it, Causing them to be under extremely high tension. As for holding the tuning it returns the strings to proper tune perfectly fine, It isn't a Steinberger Trans-Trem which is probably the best vibrato for changing the pitch of chords but it works well enough.
Always tin your strings.

_____