This is weird.

I have a Fender Hotrod DeVille 4x10 combo amp, and always after 5-10 minutes of playing it'll make little crackling sounds underneath the guitar. It's not usually loud (usually it's inaudible when the amp is cranked,) before it gets to 3 however it is very noticeable. Sometimes it goes on for 5-10 minutes and it gets very annoying (especially on clean when I'm trying to have some level of ambience to the tone.)

What's the problem?
Check your cable, check your guitar's wiring, check your amp's preamp tubes, check your amp's power tubes, check your pedals, etc...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it has a reverb tank?
Check to see if that is loose.

EDIT: I reread and I think it's either the input jack on your guitar or the cable.
Or not.
Last edited by ticklemeemo at Sep 12, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta
Check your cable, check your guitar's wiring, check your amp's preamp tubes, check your amp's power tubes, check your pedals, etc...

Tried multiple different cables. No help.

Tried three difference guitars, all wired perfectly well. No help.

Dunno about the tubes -- but they sound fine, the amp is crackling, there's nothing wrong with the levels of anything.

I've ran guitars straight into the amp and it still crackles, it's not the pedal.
Quote by ticklemeemo
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it has a reverb tank?
Check to see if that is loose.

I believe it has a tube or spring or whatever...does anyone have a specs sheet of this amp so I can find it?
The tubes can be fine but still cause crackling, because they're microphonic. I'd buy one preamp tube and swap it around in different positions until you've eliminated the problem.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Try getting someone to put their hand on this thing and see if it still crackles. Try pulling up on it a little and see if it wiggles.

This
I hope this isn't a violation since I'm only linking to Ebay to show him a part.

If this isn't the problem then do a check for a microphonic tube.
Sounds like the cable or wiring, test a different cable, check if your jack plate is loose, check if your amp's input is loose, if it still doesn't work, it's probably the wiring.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
im not sure how the amp is built, but sometimes if the amps chassis is not tightened down enough it can crackle as well. make sure the screws on top of the amp are snug if there are any. only problem I ever had with my Maz and it was an easy fix
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by ticklemeemo
Try getting someone to put their hand on this thing and see if it still crackles. Try pulling up on it a little and see if it wiggles.

This
I hope this isn't a violation since I'm only linking to Ebay to show him a part.

If this isn't the problem then do a check for a microphonic tube.

Quote by Raijouta
The tubes can be fine but still cause crackling, because they're microphonic. I'd buy one preamp tube and swap it around in different positions until you've eliminated the problem.

It might be the tube then, it's not any problem with something not guitar related.

Is there potential for me screwing up the amp if I do either of these? Would it be safest to take it to a shop to fix or is it a no-brainer?
No, just take the shields off the tubes and poke them with a pencil eraser. With the amp on you should not be able to hear any noise from poking the tubes.

And with the tank, just go look in the back of the amp and see if it is loose or not. The tank should be on the bottom of the frame screwed in to the bottom panel.

Is it a crackling or a rattle? Describe the noise in a little more detail.
Quote by ticklemeemo
No, just take the shields off the tubes and poke them with a pencil eraser. With the amp on you should not be able to hear any noise from poking the tubes.

And with the tank, just go look in the back of the amp and see if it is loose or not. The tank should be on the bottom of the frame screwed in to the bottom panel.

Is it a crackling or a rattle? Describe the noise in a little more detail.

It's a crackling. Sometimes it almost sounds like someone is chewing loudly coming from the amp.