sorry if this has already been posted but...
What's everyones opinion on Gibson Les Pauls verses Epiphone Les Pauls?
Are Epiphones better for the price or are Gibsons worth the money?
Is the low end Gibson LP (Studio) still better than the high end Epiphone LP (Custom)?
lets just say the epiphones are cheaper for a reason...

also no VS threads *reported*
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Sep 12, 2009,
The difference isn't as big as many would have you think. Gibson sells guitars on brand name. They only make Epiphone to create a difference in status, not so much quality. Saying you have a real Gibson impresses a lot of people, while having an Epi is just... you know... affordable. It's like when Rolls Royce dropped their prices to increase sales and then suddenly nobody wanted them because it was no longer a symbol of expendable income. You're buying the name, not the product.

Either way, Les Pauls are notorious for being poorly constructed, especially the necks. If you really like the shape, then I suggest you guy a knockoff. They're frequently higher quality and at comparable or lower prices.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
I think if you have the money then a Gibson is better, but for price, Epiphones are very good, I've had 2 epiphones (dot and a les paul) and my rhythm guitarist used to play a black beauty and they have all seved us well.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Is that so? Well what kind of model LP was it? And saying stuff like "Epiphones are cheaper for a reason" is hardly full of insight. The mark up on a US made LP BEFORE you even get to raw materials is huge. Ive had a LP studio and now im on a top end Epi and guess which one i like best? Thats right, the Epiphone. Its flawlessly put together, mahogany and a flame maple cap, rosewood 24 fret 'board and came loaded with EMG's and i saved the equivalent of $500 of which i would've had to spend a large chunk to get EMG's in a the Gibson. And i get a two octave neck to boot. Yeah, the cheap, entry level Epiphones blow nuts but write off the top end ones and youre really just a poser if the name on the headstock is that important.

JTF337, don't buckle under peer pressure because of a brand. If youve got plenty of cash, fine, spend all you want. Im not Bill Gates and ive found a guitar that i'd challange anyone to tell the differencce blindfolded. If you want, i'll point out what models you should try for a comparisson and you can make up youre own mind.
I think high end Epis are better than low end Gibsons, sometimes, but still their QC is a bit buggy. You might find a great Gibson studio, then you might find a terrible one. etc. etc.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
I think high end Epis are better than low end Gibsons, sometimes, but still their QC is a bit buggy. You might find a great Gibson studio, then you might find a terrible one. etc. etc.

+ lots

as for the guy who said les pauls are poorly constructed thats ****ing ****
Quote by Tedis1111
+ lots

as for the guy who said les pauls are poorly constructed thats ****ing ****

I'm assuming that you meant to call me a liar, but it's hard without knowing the specific profanity the forum blocking. If this is correct, could you please elaborate on why I am incorrect? The necks always break, and Gibson never does a damned thing to fix it. Their sponsored artists have ghostmade guitars, not actual Gibsons. There are much better alternatives on the market.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by troyponce
I'm assuming that you meant to call me a liar, but it's hard without knowing the specific profanity the forum blocking. If this is correct, could you please elaborate on why I am incorrect? The necks always break, and Gibson never does a damned thing to fix it. Their sponsored artists have ghostmade guitars, not actual Gibsons. There are much better alternatives on the market.

the necks do not always break and u said all les pauls are like that, its really not true
Quote by Tedis1111
the necks do not always break and u said all les pauls are like that, its really not true

Talk to some reputable guitar repairmen (NOTE: not salesmen) and they'll tell you about the huge amount of Les Paul necks that they've had to fix. Ed Roman himself says he's had to fix more Les Paul necks than every other guitar combined. Obviously not every single one will break, but they frequently do, and that's valuable information for someone purchasing a guitar. If you're going to have that issue, then you don't want to drop 4k on a Gibson and should go with the less pricey Epiphone. Or, if you don't care about the brand name and want a quality instrument, you could get another company's knockoff of the shape and end up with something that has a better maintenance record.
Quote by nightwind
Gibson necks are weak at certain points, it's not that they're poorly constructed more because they're poorly designed, the headstock break is the most common but in the end Gibson scrapped the neck volute that helped strengthen this point because people didn't like it.
Quote by troyponce
Talk to some reputable guitar repairmen (NOTE: not salesmen) and they'll tell you about the huge amount of Les Paul necks that they've had to fix. Ed Roman himself says he's had to fix more Les Paul necks than every other guitar combined. Obviously not every single one will break, but they frequently do, and that's valuable information for someone purchasing a guitar. If you're going to have that issue, then you don't want to drop 4k on a Gibson and should go with the less pricey Epiphone. Or, if you don't care about the brand name and want a quality instrument, you could get another company's knockoff of the shape and end up with something that has a better maintenance record.

ah this may be true but les pauls are proberly the most popular guitar shape

and huge sorry for calling u a liar, not true
When it comes to the Epi vs Gibby deal there really is not much of a difference. I play enough different guitars every week and love comparing side by side. Gibsons when you can find a good one rock but I find more Epis to be consistent than Gibsons. You really need to go to a couple shops and play similar Gibsons and Epis but don't count out other LP copies. Agiles are great and I find Jay Tursers and Raven West to be very good as well, not quite as good as Epis, Gibbys and Agiles but really close second.

I was a Gibson collector for years and I would never even look at anything but a Gibson now I find more and more guitars coming from Asia that are great. Most of the guitars made today come from Asia and no matter where they are made they use the exact same methods to build them! The Asian made guitars are getting better year after year. Some of the best craftsmanship can be found in Asia and they are really learning how to make a great guitar. Back in the day Ibanez and other MIJ guitars was considered pieces of crap and look at them now people love MIJ and seek out MIJ guitars.

John

PS.. as far as the most popular shape goes Strat shape IMHO is the most copied. Every cheap ass guitar made is usually a strat copy. Craig's list is loaded with $50.00 Strats. The LP shape is probably the second most copied. I think it's because Strats are easier to make they are all routed from the top with a pickguard and wired and assembled with the pickguard off where LPs usually have to be drilled for routing the wires thru the guitar and wired by running wires and soldered while assembling the guitar. Then you have to consider the bolt on neck compared to a set neck that is if the LP copy is done right. If you have worked on and assembled as many guitars as I have you know how easy it is to work on 99% of the Strats out there.
Quote by GisleAune
Gibson is overpriced, because their CEO is a peice of ****.
you mean the same CEO that essentially saved them from obscurity during the '80s whilst everyone was playing pointy guitars in hair metal bands?

let me guess, you read that employee complaint thing, right?